Garmin Quest Vs. Quest 2

ozymandiasism

I have been looking to purchase a GPS unit that is fantastic in voice-prompt command in mobile navigation, also does a good job in geocaching. After some researching, I realized that such hybrid simple don't exist (at least not at the level I want). My favorite mobile navi is still the NuVi 350 though... LOVE the screen and the interface. Very user friendly. Too bad it's not waterproofed, nor give out lal/lon positioning, and short battery life.

I have come to terms that th Garmin Quests and Quest2 would be my best choice for such expeditions. The price difference bewteen the 2 units is about $250.

Questions:

1. Quest has 115MB internal memory, while Quest2 has 140MB. BUT, Quest comes with City Select DVD, while Quest2 has it preloaded to the unit. My assumption is that the 140MB is included with the preloaded software?

2. How much memory do the maps take? I read an article that one of the users downloaded 4-5 states of data and it was about 100MB? I thoguht the entire north america map was uploaded.

3. I know Quest2 shows Lat/Lon and otehr positioning format. Does Quest do the same thing?

4. Feedback on eitehr units on the road and for geocaching?

Thanks!

I have a Quest2 and a Garmin 60C. I use the Quest2 to direct me to the cache then use the 60c to locate the cash.

I like the Quest2 but it does have a flaw that drives me crazy. It is sometimes very slow to redraw the maps. Sometimes I come up to a turn and the map is still redrawing.

The voice prompts are very clear and loud, easy to understand. If you get the Quest2 call Garmin Tech Support and they will mail you the City Select NT vs7 for free. You will then be able to plan routes on your computer (much easier) then transfer them to your Quest2. The Quest2 does not have a compass.

All in all, I'm happy with it, I think having the handheld gives me the complete package though for geocaching.

I have a Quest2 and a Garmin 60C. I use the Quest2 to direct me to the cache then use the 60c to locate the cash.

I like the Quest2 but it does have a flaw that drives me crazy. It is sometimes very slow to redraw the maps. Sometimes I come up to a turn and the map is still redrawing.

The voice prompts are very clear and loud, easy to understand. If you get the Quest2 call Garmin Tech Support and they will mail you the City Select NT vs7 for free. You will then be able to plan routes on your computer (much easier) then transfer them to your Quest2. The Quest2 does not have a compass.

All in all, I'm happy with it, I think having the handheld gives me the complete package though for geocaching.

Very interesting. Thank you! I reiad an article saying that the delayed in mapping is caused by the extra memory.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Quest I have a compass or not... I guess it does show Lat/Lon since people have used it for caching....

Why would they send you the software for free? Because it is preloaded onto the unit?

I also wonder if Quest I comes with an earlier version of City Select...

The Quest I comes with City Select vs7 (not NT) Those maps are the exact same as the Quest2 except that the Map segemets are smaller then they are in NT. Example is Southern California comes in 2 halves for the whole state in the NT but in City Select the state is divided up into almost county size portions.

That allows you to load just those portions you will be driving in. One of the fellows in my office has the QuestI and he has most of Southern Calif loaded into his QuestI. Of course my Quest2 has all of North America, and Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii loaded. Garmin sent me the DVD free because I already have the software on my Quest2, I just needed it to make my routes on my PC. They have a great Tech Support Group!!!

If you don't do much long distance driving the QuestI is a nice unit!

The Quest I comes with City Select vs7 (not NT) Those maps are the exact same as the Quest2 except that the Map segemets are smaller then they are in NT. Example is Southern California comes in 2 halves for the whole state in the NT but in City Select the state is divided up into almost county size portions.

That allows you to load just those portions you will be driving in. One of the fellows in my office has the QuestI and he has most of Southern Calif loaded into his QuestI. Of course my Quest2 has all of North America, and Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii loaded. Garmin sent me the DVD free because I already have the software on my Quest2, I just needed it to make my routes on my PC. They have a great Tech Support Group!!!

If you don't do much long distance driving the QuestI is a nice unit!

I see. I live in SoCa so that is a good thing to know! I still want to have all the maps loaded onto the unit though if I do decide to purchase a Quest I

I have a Quest1, I have loaded into it right now, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, parts of Wyoming and parts of western canada.

I was just short of filling the memory.

I use it for geocaching (in and out of the car) Work, I deliver freight to all those states and use it to look up addresses and can not imagine work without it.

VERY rugged unit.

I would get the Quest1 just because you get the map disc with it and can use it with another GPS unit.

I have a Quest1, I have loaded into it right now, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, parts of Wyoming and parts of western canada.

I was just short of filling the memory.

I use it for geocaching (in and out of the car) Work, I deliver freight to all those states and use it to look up addresses and can not imagine work without it.

VERY rugged unit.

I would get the Quest1 just because you get the map disc with it and can use it with another GPS unit.

Thanks for the suggestion. What version of the software does it come with?

I've been researching the Quest 2, and this is discouraging news. How is the refresh rate compared to autorouting on the 60cs? I've used one of those before.

Jamie

1. Quest has 115MB internal memory, while Quest2 has 140MB. BUT, Quest comes with City Select DVD, while Quest2 has it preloaded to the unit. My assumption is that the 140MB is included with the preloaded software?

The Quest 2 has all of City Select NA, plus another 140 megs of map storage in additon to the pre-loaded software. The Quest has 115 megs period. It comes with all of NA on CD, but you can only load 115 meg chunks.

2. How much memory do the maps take? I read an article that one of the users downloaded 4-5 states of data and it was about 100MB? I thoguht the entire north america map was uploaded.

The Quest II has all of North America. The Quest has 115 megs of map memory. How much coverage you get with the Quest depends on where you live. In a major metro area it will cover less than it will in a less populated area. If you're talking someplace in the west (Montana, Idaho, Dakotas, etc...) it will cover several large states. If you live in the NYC, DC, LA, CHI, etc... area it will probably cover all of your metro area and a large chunk of the surrounding state.

. I know Quest2 shows Lat/Lon and otehr positioning format. Does Quest do the same thing?
They both show lon. and lat.

4. Feedback on eitehr units on the road and for geocaching?

I've never used either unit, but I've used City Select NA. It's a great program. Of course it has its flaws, but overall it does a fantastic job of routing. The dowside of the Quest units for geocaching are 1-They use a rechargable battery instead of AAs. If you are going far off trail or plan to be out for more than a day, this can be an issue 2-The screen only orients for dashboard use, so if you using it as a handheld, you have to hold it sideways to get the proper orientation. By all reports I've heard, the Quest units make fine geocaching units aside from the two points I've mentioned.

Edited by briansnat

I've been researching the Quest 2, and this is discouraging news. How is the refresh rate compared to autorouting on the 60cs? I've used one of those before.

Jamie

Let me clairify my statement about the slow redraw on the Quest2. It doesn't seem to happen all the time and when it does, the nice polite lady inside the Quest2 does chime in and give me verbal directions "In 500 feet, turn left" and the text field at the top of the screen does display the manuver about to happen. The map screen might be in the process of redrawing the current position and don't show that turn on the screen. It's more of an incovience then anything. All and all I love my Quest2 and would never leave home without it. It saved my biscuits the other day when I took my wifes car in for service. I know the way to the dealer, but I took the unit anyway. When I left the dealer to come home the freeway entrance was closed because of a bad accident. I only knew the way home via the freeway! I pulled over to the 711 parking lot, told the Quest2 to Avoid the freeway and route me home. BuddaBing, BuddaBang I was on my way home via the sidestreets I knew nothing about.

I would buy the Quest2 again in a heartbeat!!

Quick question: For Quest II, it doesn't seem like it comes with A/C adapter. How does it charge???? Do I need to buy a charger separately???

The Quest2 does not come with an AC charger. It has an internal battery with a 20/30 hour charge. It charges automatically when you plug your windshield mount into the cig lighter. I've nver had a need for the AC charger. They are available for about $40.00 or so, but I don't think you'll have a need to buy one.

Go for it!! You won't be sorry.

Quick question: For Quest II, it doesn't seem like it comes with A/C adapter. How does it charge???? Do I need to buy a charger separately???

The Quest2 does not come with an AC charger. It has an internal battery with a 20/30 hour charge. It charges automatically when you plug your windshield mount into the cig lighter. I've nver had a need for the AC charger. They are available for about $40.00 or so, but I don't think you'll have a need to buy one.

Go for it!! You won't be sorry.

Thanks. I probably will :laughing: I just hate having to charge it in the car.