Uk Geo Chat

Sorry to drag this back from the depths, since gluttony was taken offline is anyone else having difficulty connecting? I'm using mirc.

Do you know which server you're specifying ?

Ideally you should be using irc.nixhelp.org which is a round robin DNS.

Cheers

Stuart

Sorry to drag this back from the depths, since gluttony was taken offline is anyone else having difficulty connecting? I'm using mirc.

Do you know which server you're specifying ?

Ideally you should be using irc.nixhelp.org which is a round robin DNS.

Cheers

Stuart

Yes I'm using the irc.nixhelp.org address but it isn't connecting, the connection is being refused.

That's why I mentioned gluttony as that was the server I was placed on when I was connected before.

This is the IP it's using:

ok. That looks like the ip for glutoney.uk which has now been retired.

something somewhere is caching the dns request.

Do you have a router, and is this being used for DNS serving to your network, it's probably this that is keeping the cached copy of the IP.

OR it's you ISP.

If possible get your router to flush its DNS cache.

Stuart

This is the IP it's using:

ok. That looks like the ip for glutoney.uk which has now been retired.

something somewhere is caching the dns request.

Do you have a router, and is this being used for DNS serving to your network, it's probably this that is keeping the cached copy of the IP.

OR it's you ISP.

If possible get your router to flush its DNS cache.

Stuart

Not using a router straight connection to cable modem.

If I connect via mIRC I was routed either via Gluttony, Lust, Greed or one of the other seemingly seven deadly sins someone decided to name the system after. Sometimes I'd be routed via Holland. :laughing:

I have not been able to enter recently either - all the above systems have been sluggish lately :laughing:

If I connect via mIRC I was routed either via Gluttony, Lust, Greed or one of the other seemingly seven deadly sins someone decided to name the system after. Sometimes I'd be routed via Holland. :laughing:

I have not been able to enter recently either - all the above systems have been sluggish lately :laughing:

Hi,

You should be using if at all possible irc.nixhelp.org as the irc server name.

When you say slugish, what do you mean ?

Cheers

Stuart

Slimey, antenae, moves slowly? :-P

:laughing::laughing:

Basically it logs me on. Then I wait...and wait...and wait....and wait....and it dies. Its as if its searching for the server and gets distracted by a prettier server from another country :laughing: For all I know its currently in a bar in Hong Kong eyeing up other servers. I love metaphors ;)

Basically it logs me on. Then I wait...and wait...and wait....and wait....and it dies. Its as if its searching for the server and gets distracted by a prettier server from another country :lol: For all I know its currently in a bar in Hong Kong eyeing up other servers. I love metaphors :lol:

Can you provide details of any messages you get at login ? Is it possible to get debug info from mIRC ?

Cheers

Stuart

Gosh! Look what I bumped into on Scilly... the Chatroom thread! (But this connection at the local library won't let me into the room. Never mind I'm sure somebody's doing the tea trolley while I'm away - I left the very reliable towim in charge :D) Having a lovely time - Wish you were all here sunning yourselves on Scilly. Rain? What rain?

MrsB