Uk Geo Chat

You lucky, lucky people!

The Chat Team now have their best ever chat applet up and running! Now includes channel and GeoTV webcam links and Geocaching.com Search engine.

www.hokesters.co.uk/geochat/

Enter your caching nickname in the box provided and click "Let's Chat".

Once you are in the room you can bookmark it for later use and you will always be logged in automatically straight from the bookmark.

If you have problems with the applet loading please check the Java notes below.

Of course if you are IRC savvy and have a stand-alone IRC client (such as mIrc or IceChat) you can follow these settings;

IRC Server: irc.uk.nixhelp.org

Server Port: 6667

Channel: #geocaching

We look forward to seeing you in there!

Java Notes -

You must have Java installed to run this webpage. Java is a small add-on for Internet Explorer or Firefox which allows your browser to run small programs within the browser window.

If you do not have Java installed you should be prompted to install it when you first run the chatroom link. If not it could be because of your security settings.

Visit Java Home and click the 'Windows XPI - Download'.

Follow the instructions then try to reload the chat room link. If you are still having problems it could be security settings in your browser.

In Firefox - Tools>>Options>>Web Features - ensure both Enable Java and Enable Javascript are ticked.

In IE - Tools>>Options>>Advanced - ensure Java is enabled.

If you still can't log on it is most likely to be your firewall settings. At this point you need to contact the manufacturer/supplier/administrator of the firewall.

Many of us chatters watch out for youngsters popping in and tune the conversation and behaviour accordingly. We can usually spot them but it's good if they can warn us if they think we haven't noticed! It's also a good idea if they can tweak the chatting nick so we can tell for sure. For example, Us4andJess could be (and have been) either Us4andMam or Us4andDan. MountViewCrew could be MountViewCrew(name) for instance, although we know to watch out for the youngsters of those particular caching teams now. We've got a watershed of 9.30pm, I think it is (someone correct me if I have that wrong!). As a mum of young 'uns myself, I'm super-vigilant .... but I'm not always in there to play net nanny, contrary to popular belief. Come and chat!!! Everyone is welcome. :):anicute::anicute: Liane, The Cache Hoppers

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

I've only popped in a few times, and whilst I've tried to "get into" what peopleare talking about - it was hard, and I felt a little left out :rolleyes:

It did put me off popping in again, but I might do again soon!

Get back in there! :unsure:

Seriously you need to shout up and chat back to everyone particularly if it is busy. Come in and ask a few GC related questions first to get you started off.

We really are a very friendly bunch. :huh:

Si

I definitely have to agree with Hokes' post - Get back in there!

I only found out about geocaching a couple of weeks ago, and was lucky enough to find chat thanks to an invite. It is a little strange at first, but you soon get into the 'nonsense' of conversation :rolleyes:

I think the others in there would agree that it seems like I've been around for ages, they're such a friendly bunch and you soon feel right at home. I always know if I havent had my daily chat :unsure:

Yes, sometimes it is a little inane, but we're mostly busy people who just like to pop by the chatroom and share, and sometimes be a bit silly for a while, before returning to the demands of real life.

Do pop by again soon,

AutumnTiger, aka Dawn

Who broke it?

[20:33] -- *** Checking Ident

[20:33] -- *** Found your hostname

[20:33] -- *** No Ident response

[20:33] Error : Closing Link: olliver.plus.com (No more connections allowed in your connection class)

[20:33] Disconnected from lust.uk.nixhelp.org

Or is it me?

I've only popped in a few times, and whilst I've tried to "get into" what peopleare talking about - it was hard, and I felt a little left out :rolleyes:

It did put me off popping in again, but I might do again soon!

come on back in you will have some fun,we do. :)

sarahjayne

I think some limitation may have been set in the java version of the chat client...

You may think it has, but I know it hasn't:p Frankly I have no idea what the error is, but I will try to find out.

I had the same error message (No more connections allowed in your connection class) at around the same time using IceChat5, so it's definitely almost certainly not a Java problem.

It's not a Java problem, it's that one of the servers (lust for those in the know) is regularly up to capacity. We will be re-jigging the Java client to favour the other servers as soon as I can be bothered to get of my backside and do it.

#billsbar is open 24/7 taking full advatage of new government regulations, pop in and be served by the delightful 'tush' use !bar for the list of commands.

there is also a trivia script running on tush, use !choose and follow instructions, !help if you get stuck.

the rogues gallery grows daily, and we have more live cams also, although HOKES|showercam seems to be running a lot, especially in view of the water shortages experienced by those poor hard done to southerners :tired:

there is also

#geocaching (the main chat channel)

#coinchat (self explanatory)

pop in when you have a spare half hour and/or the forums fail (sundays usually :D )

say hi and be overwhelmed with the friendly response you will get, just ignore Lost_it, he has an issue with his keyboard, it only has sarcastic keys on it :D:):D

stay safe

Bill

(who has just happened to have cleared a complete country's caches :tired: )

Help please from you clever techie people.

Just got a new computer and now when I try to log on to the geo chat site I can not see the "chat" area, only a small red cross.

Please advise in simple terms how I can overcome this.

Thanks

Old B

Gordon

:laughing:-->

QUOTE(Old B @ Mar 25 2006, 05:18 PM) 2115573[/snapback]

Help please from you clever techie people.

Just got a new computer and now when I try to log on to the geo chat site I can not see the "chat" area, only a small red cross.

Please advise in simple terms how I can overcome this.

Thanks

Old B

Gordon

you need to load java