All Garmin C And Cs Models Are Discontinued

For those of you thinking on getting the Garmin C or CS models (legend, vista, 60) be aware that they are DISCONTINUED. yes they are still available at a discount, but the x models are being discounted too.

Most of you know this, but i am sure you all dont.

Cary in SD

Need more information. WHY??? Is garmin coming out with a new model soon? Are there going to be some major sales soon?

For those of you thinking on getting the Garmin C or CS models (legend, vista, 60) be aware that they are DISCONTINUED. yes they are still available at a discount, but the x models are being discounted too.

Cary in SD

Need more information. WHY??? Is garmin coming out with a new model soon? Are there going to be some major sales soon?

Cary in SD

Garmin came out with the 60CSx and 60Cx to replace the old 60C and 60Cs. 2 major differences are that it has a better receiver and has removable storage. Some folks like the older models better. They are still available for purchase from some dealers.

Cary

showing on Cdn sites as discontinued as well

http://www.gpscity.ca/item-garmin-etrex-le...trexlegendc.htm

And that dealer has Discontinued them Not Garmin.

Garmin came out with the 60CSx and 60Cx to replace the old 60C and 60Cs. 2 major differences are that it has a better receiver and has removable storage. Some folks like the older models better. They are still available for purchase from some dealers.

They are still available for purchase from some dealers. In your own words, they have not been discontinued

If it's really true that the c and cs series are being discontinued, I wonder if Garmin will keep the large map files for City Navigator v8 when it comes out in the summer? I'm hoping that's not the case otherwise most of us who have the fixed memory gps's are basically screwed.

Edited by patester24

Cary in SD

Cary

I am one of those people that is totally happy with my 60Cs...In fact I am getting awesome results with it. +/-6ft while driving...Who needs more maps when you stay in the area!?!?! I love it..

If it's really true that the c and cs series are being discontinued, I wonder if Garmin will keep the large map files for City Navigator v8 when it comes out in the summer? I'm hoping that's not the case otherwise most of us who have the fixed memory gps's are basically screwed.

An older thread about the next CN update mentioned the segments will be smaller.

I wonder if Garmin will keep the large map files for City Navigator v8 when it comes out in the summer?

When I worked with Garmin a month ago they swapped my Navigator for Select because I bought Navigator for my VistaC (their web site was less than helpful) and some maps wouldn't load. Anyway, when I asked about V8 they said that they had "no information" (of course, I expected that) but that he "felt" that the section sizes in V8 would be better for the "fixed memory" units. From what I've heard many of us bought Navigator for the Vista and Legend and got a surprise. At least the Garmin web site would now lead me to buy City Select which is what I should have gotten in the first place.

An older thread about the next CN update mentioned the segments will be smaller.

Yes, but without any promises or details.

Unfortunately Garmin just released the new version 8 of CityNavigator-Europe and it seems to have the same large segment problem as the last version of CityNavigator-NA. CitySelect-Europe has also been discontinued so users of models like the GPS V, Map60, LegendC/VistaC can only get updated maps by switching to CityNavigator and making do with the larger segments. I haven't heard yet if any individual segments are over the 19/24 MB limits of those models, but even if none are there's a loss of usefulness if you can only load one or two segments at a time and can't tailor the covered area more specifically to what you need.

I really thought Garmin had gotten the message and was going to fix things, but their actions with this latest release of CN-Eur makes me skeptical.

probably true. i was at wal-mart and the guy said garmin is coming out with some new stuff. so they prob. r discontinuing the c's.

Well, I hope its b/c of the newer models,

but with all due respect Deerhunter... I wouldn't go by what the Walmart guy says (unless you know him) -

my children know more about GPS than most of the people working at the counters there....

EDIT: at least in the the 3 Walmarts I've frequented.......

Edited by vfrpilot

I posted recently my suspicion that the non-SD Garmin models are going to be legacy devices. Soon after that, Garmin released another SD only software package, City Select Malaysia NT. Sorry if anybody has already posted about this. I've been away from the forum for awhile.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

Cary in SD

Cary

I am one of those people that is totally happy with my 60Cs...In fact I am getting awesome results with it. +/-6ft while driving...Who needs more maps when you stay in the area!?!?! I love it..

I just purchased a map60cs, I think its great, but I am having a little problem with down-loading cords, the decimal part of the minutes is a little different than what the Geocache.com says. Does anyone understand what I want to say? If so, am I doing something wrong and can I fix it.

squeak16

I just purchased a map60cs, I think its great, but I am having a little problem with down-loading cords, the decimal part of the minutes is a little different than what the Geocache.com says. Does anyone understand what I want to say? If so, am I doing something wrong and can I fix it.

squeak16

Go to "menu". Scroll down to the icon for "units" and hit enter. The very first drop down menu choices you should see is "position format". Select (hit the 'enter' button again to see your choices) "hddd'mm.mmm' and hit "enter" again. This should now select the proper format for you. While you're in the neighborhood, make sure your map datum is set to WGS 84 and you should be good to go.

They are not Discontinued in Garmins web site (I just checked ) There may be some dealers that have disontinued them. This is not uncommon for a retailer to do, if sales drop on an item the stores have no reason to re order them.

I found an online e-tailer selling the Vista C for $230. It seemed to be a good price and had the features I wanted. The Vista Cx is much more expensive, so I bought the Vista C. Now I read that it is a discontinued model! What implications if any does that have for me, as a new Vista C owner? Thanks in advance!

I'm with JohnnyVegas, and I don't care what Vlad says about Garmin's website or his so-called special knowledge. I won't believe the C and CS models are discontinued until Garmin officially says so. If you look Garmin's product page, they are not listed as discontinued. If they were really discontinued, Garmin would have them listed accordingly.

I found an online e-tailer selling the Vista C for $230. It seemed to be a good price and had the features I wanted. The Vista Cx is much more expensive, so I bought the Vista C. Now I read that it is a discontinued model! What implications if any does that have for me, as a new Vista C owner? Thanks in advance!

I would say you have nothing to worry about. If it came to a warranty issue and Garmin no longer had any Vista C units in stock, judging by what I've read about their customer service my bet is that they would replace it with a Vista Cx.

Edited by jloyva

Considering that the 12X and 12XL are still current models (didn't they come out in about 1998?), I find it odd that Garmin would discontinue such a sucessful line as the C series. The 60c/cs are workhorses that have had a faithful following. Yes, the x series have advantages but they are more expensive and eat batteries faster (60c v 60cx). Is that added cost worth it to everyone? I doubt it.

This is from GPS City. "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available."

I believe it. Garmin probably hasn't gotten to putting it on their website probably there are lot's of them still at dealers and they want to move them. People would not buy them if they were tagged discontinued. I might not.

From Tiger GPS

"NOTE: The Garmin eTrex Vista C has been discontinued. It is replaced by the eTrex Vista Cx (click here), with expandable memory. You can also check out our Handheld GPS Units page for more options."

As well as the same message for the Legend C.

And from GPSNow

"GARMIN has discontinued this unit. Consider the newer Vista Cx that ships with more memory and has the ability to accept even larger microSD memory cards."

However, there is nothing on either web site about the 60C series being discontinued.

squeak16

It sounds to me like you have the incorrect map datum selected on your GPS. Make sure it's set to WGS84. Check your user manual.

This is from GPS City. "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available."

I believe it. Garmin probably hasn't gotten to putting it on their website probably there are lot's of them still at dealers and they want to move them. People would not buy them if they were tagged discontinued. I might not.

Actually, I just bought my Vista C from GPScity and I didn't see anything on their website about it being discontinued. ;)

Actually, I just bought my Vista C from GPScity and I didn't see anything on their website about it being discontinued. ;)

You were lucky. I've been looking for the Legend C and Vista C at merchants and haven't been able to find them. I finally got a new one, to use as a spare, or lend to friends, on eBay.

Edit to add appropriate quote.

Edited by Miragee

squeak16

It sounds to me like you have the incorrect map datum selected on your GPS. Make sure it's set to WGS84. Check your user manual.

Actually, this would be under "Position Format". On your GPSr, it should be hddd° mm.mmm'. To change it, click on Menu > Menu > Setup > Units > Position Format.

CLICK HERE for more information about Position Formats.

That was for the 60CS. I didn't check for anything else. That was this morn.

gotta like old stock I upgraded to a gpsmap 60c from my blue legend at CCSource yesterday for $250 + taxes.

have only played with it a bit but, like what I see so far. I couldn't justify a move to the 60cx and the memory in the 60c is more than enough for me to but as much of my home Province in as I am likely to need.

Bwmick

Why would you not buy a discontinued model. People are buying discontinued items all the time. Every year when the new models of cars come out, last years models have been discontinued. There is nothing wrong with a discontinued model.

You just need to be worried about support of older (discontinued) models. With Garmin, sending in older models has not been a problem. They have been know to replace the older model with a newer one if they parts are not available.

They are discontinued...

Regardless of what Garmin's website says effective January 6th of this year a marketing memo from Garmin announced that as of that date the units were discontinued.

Vlad is quite right - a Marketing Memo stated that the colour, non-x models are discontinued effective January 6th 2006.