Need To Hear From A New Geocacher.

It has been a month since I discovered Geocaching. I am so excited about it....I did all the research on the subject, I bought a travel bug, fun goodies for the cache and am ready to go execpt I can't decide which GPS to buy. I read all the forums on it, and am just overwhelmed. Please please, all you new geocatchers out there...are you happy with your GPS's?

I need something simple to read and understand with mapping, in color if possible (no compass, I will buy it seperately). Perhaps in the $250.00 range (I can buy the mapping software later). This would be for geocaching only.

THANK YOU!

I'm not sure how much help this is, but we're using a GarminXL12 circa 1998 and it works great. Costs less than a 100bucks used and is more than you probably need. I'm amazed at everyone's insisting on starting out with top-of-the-line units when you don't even know how to use them yet. My advice would be to get a cheap unit or borrow one to use and figure out which features you like. Chances are you won't need colored graphics or half the bells and whistles that come with it as much as you'll need a good clean signal. Like most hobbies, you'll probably need to experience a few versions before you're happy so there's no point in blowing a load of cash early. Check out the GPS garage sale forum and you're sure to see a few well taken care of units that worked for other cachers and will work for you. Good luck and Happy Caching - Hound :unsure:

I htought I would never use the compass in mine till I went geocaching. I use it all the time to narrow in on the cache. It tells me how many feet I am away from the cache and the direction I need to go. I wanted a color model too when I started and I don't miss the color at all, in fact I heard it is easier to read the non-color ones than the colored ones. I know that the new Explorer series from Magellan leave tha backlight on all the time so they are easier to read in the sunlight. If you are really interested in a GPS get one that is expandable. One that can use a SD card to upload maps and such. You will use it in the car on trips and the street maps will help. So I would also look for one that the screen is large enough to read when in the car so you don't have to struggle with the maps.

I insist that you use top of the line units. (Especially If you are going to spend $250)

I think you should take a look at the eTrex Legend Cx. It has color, auto-routing, sd card.

If you decide to go with a lower priced unit in case you decide you don't like geocaching, go with the reg Legend. I've been very happy with mine.

For you budget, I would recommend the Legend C. The Vista C is the same unit with an electronic compass and altimeter, so it doesn't match your needs. The Legend Cx is nice (it adds a micro SD card for you to load lots of maps) but is probably just outside your budger. I think the Legend C is "just right."

I've been caching since January. I bought the Magellan 210 on some recommendation from this board & from the research I did online. I have been really happy with it & the more I use it, the better I get. It was about $160 (in that ball park). It has the basic maps on it but you can buy the more detailed maps. I haven't done that yet. I've never used a higher end GPS so I'm not sure what I'm missing :unsure: but I do get along pretty good with what I've got.

Good luck!

For you budget, I would recommend the Legend C. The Vista C is the same unit with an electronic compass and altimeter, so it doesn't match your needs. The Legend Cx is nice (it adds a micro SD card for you to load lots of maps) but is probably just outside your budger. I think the Legend C is "just right."

Even though Amazon is selling the cx for $250? I mean I have no problem spending Fairydst's money. :unsure:

I insist that you use top of the line units. (Especially If you are going to spend $250)

I think you should take a look at the eTrex Legend Cx. It has color, auto-routing, sd card.

If you decide to go with a lower priced unit in case you decide you don't like geocaching, go with the reg Legend. I've been very happy with mine.

I second that.

Careful shopping will get you one for less than $250. My wife and I love ours.

I have the Vista C and love it. It is also very durable . . . it survived a fall from a huge boulder . . . and was still working when we found it far, far, far below.

I recomend the Legend C, Vista C, or the new Cx models.

I have City Select maps on the GPSr and really appreciate the auto-routing capability.

If you want to have a color GPS with detailed maps you will also need to by the Mapping software, this is going to add $90.00-$120.00 to the price of the GPS depending on what software you want are were you buy it.

I find it interesting how many times I see some one post that they are looking for a GPS in a certain price range, I then see several recomending GPSr that are way above what the person wants to spend.

If you really do not want to go over $250.00 and have detailed maps, you are going to have to go woth a monochrome screen which will work just fine, I started out with a Magellan meridian gold for my first mapping GPS, it is monochrome and it worked just fine for me, I still use in my truck. I have found over 800 caches with that GPS.

In monochrome units the new magellan explorist 210 would be a very good first timers GPS, It has 22MB of memory to store maps on, the closed Garmin would be to Legend with 8MB of memory for map storage.

You can find the Explorist 210 for about $170.00 if you shop around, the Legend you can find for about $145.00. WHile the explorist will cost a little more it has better receiver than the Legend and much more memory. It also allows for storing Waypoints/Caches in seperate files which can indicate type of cache, geographic location of caches. or what ever you want them to refect.

:unsure:

First of all, welcome to the sport from a fellow newb...

After reading the posts above, I would throw my $.02 in this way...

Shop on eBay Craigslist etc and buy yourself a base (read inexpensive) model and familiarize yourself with the sport before you go hog wild on a top of the line model. My Garmin 12 served me quite well, and never let me down, it was a workhorse and though it's vintage 1997 +/- it still holds its own. There is no comparison though, to the new Sirf3 chipsets available, but opting for the high end models at this point is like getting your learners permit to drive and buying a Ferrari right off the bat... It makes more sense to get your feet wet, make sre you like the sport and then get what you really want. If you opt to buy one of the inexpensive models from the sources listed above (And shop hard, there are bargains to be found) when you buy the GPSr of your dreams, you can keep the low end model as a backup, or simply resell it. The depreciation has already been taken, you more than likley won't lose any (much) money.

Dip your foot in the pool before you buy it...

JMHO, take it or leave it.

Best,

-E

McDegga

Thanks everyone for your input, they were very informative and some funny. I probably should of put...was willing to spend up to $250.00, but if I can get a GPS for much less to do the job, that would be great. I like what MCdegga thought " I'd be driving a Ferrari with a drivers permit". I will simplify......

I have the Etrex Yellow, Legend Color and Meridian Gold.... I like them all and were bought used. If I could only pick one to keep, it would be the Legend C. Small, easy to use, good signals, can auto route if you need that. It has the USB cable setup which is FAST....I have the TOPO maps for it also and really like it..... Great little unit for the first timer or the old timer...... Used I see them from $150 to around $175. Pretty good bang for the buck in my opinion. I would think good resale again, if you decide you need more.... I use all 3 of them but tend to grab the Legend C most often. Very accurate GPS...

Even the base map on it if find for interstate travel...... I don't have $300 bucks tied up in all of them together.... Plenty of nice deal right on the forums here pretty often.

SwampYankee

:P

First of all, welcome to the sport from a fellow newb...

After reading the posts above, I would throw my $.02 in this way...

Shop on eBay Craigslist etc and buy yourself a base (read inexpensive) model and familiarize yourself with the sport before you go hog wild on a top of the line model. My Garmin 12 served me quite well, and never let me down, it was a workhorse and though it's vintage 1997 +/- it still holds its own. There is no comparison though, to the new Sirf3 chipsets available, but opting for the high end models at this point is like getting your learners permit to drive and buying a Ferrari right off the bat... It makes more sense to get your feet wet, make sre you like the sport and then get what you really want. If you opt to buy one of the inexpensive models from the sources listed above (And shop hard, there are bargains to be found) when you buy the GPSr of your dreams, you can keep the low end model as a backup, or simply resell it. The depreciation has already been taken, you more than likley won't lose any (much) money.

Dip your foot in the pool before you buy it...

JMHO, take it or leave it.

Best,

-E

McDegga

I like your 2 cents, I need to take baby steps, I will step into the pool slowly.

Thanks