Chit Chat!

I do apologise if non-geocaching related threads are frowned upon, but I wondered if it would be a nice idea to have a happy thread with no set topic for general ramblings and pontifications! :unsure: Also, rather than hijack another thread with even more 80's nostalgia, I thought I'd start this one of in that vein. :unsure:

Mr Benn - now THERE's a proper cartoon! And I found out today that the bloke who plays Pauline's new husband in Eastenders was the narrator of Mr Benn. So there ya go!

Dave

PS - If this type of thread is not allowed, I will of course lock it and consider myself suitably chastised!

nothing.gif

In before the lockdown :unsure::unsure:

Me too!!

We watched the Clangers on BBC4 the other night, part of the Moon night they had on. It was the episode where an astronaut (who looked a lot like Alan Lamb the cricketer) lands on the moon and starts collect rock samples. The Clangers swap his bits of rock for Blue String pudding, and the astronaut falls in Soupdragon's soup vat. Couldn't stop laughing!!

Just been to an 80s cartoon website (possible the same one linked in the other (hijaced :unsure: ) thread. I got the link on Yahoo's Office Attachments.

I thought at 23 I was too young to feel nostalgic, but evidently not :unsure:

What a trip down memory lane, especially watching the into videos :unsure:

With regard to best songs or tunes, for some reason the Mysterous Cities Of Gold wins it for me...

I picked up that Pauline's bloke was the voice of Mr Ben.... Very sexy voice - but then you open your eyes and you see HIM!!

Although I don't watch Eastenders, I just looked at a screenshot of the actor. I'm sure that he played a pro card player called Robbie Box or similar in a series a few years back. He was the main character but I'm blowed if I can remember ithe programme name. I'm surprised to say that I can still "hear" his voice, and it obviously is Mr Benn. Now I'm perplexed as to why I didn't pick that up back in the '80s. :unsure:

Edited by Eco-sheep

I picked up that Pauline's bloke was the voice of Mr Ben.... Very sexy voice - but then you open your eyes and you see HIM!!

Although I don't watch Eastenders, I just looked at a screenshot of the actor. I'm sure that he played a pro card player called Robbie Box or similar in a series a few years back. He was the main character but I'm blowed if I can remember ithe programme name. I'm surprised to say that I can still "hear" his voice, and it obviously is Mr Benn. Now I'm perplexed as to why I didn't pick that up back in the '80s. :unsure:

I remember that one too and yes, it was him. Cant recall the program name though.

Hector's House - that was my favorite from the early 70's, although I think it was specific to Southern TV (as Meridian used to be called, before TVS etc).

There are, of course, all these: -

Jamie and the Magic Torch

Charlton and the Wheelies

Clooper Castle

Noggin the Nog (just wouldn't be allowed now!)

I've got a Handful of Songs to Sing You

Ivor the Engine

Will o' the Wisp (what was the mad TV called?!?)

Tickle on the Tum

Ah the good ol' days. Songs you could sing to with proper tunes etc etc!

I will fess up to having an extensive collection of 80's kids shows on vid and DVD, including...

Chorlton and the Wheelies

Mr Benn

Captain Pugwash

Roobarb

The Flumps

The Herbs

Fingerbobs

Dougal and the Blue Cat (Magic roundabout movie!!)

Trap Door (series 1,2,3,4 and 5)

and my personal favourite... Potty Time.

ooh, no Clangers, must sort that out!!

Had are argument to the death with a programmer at work which was Mr Benn related. One of our applications has a pushbutton which is the spitting image of the Shopkeeper in Mr Benn. He denied it but it WAS the shopkeeper.

ps best theme tune = Roobarb!!!

I remember that one too and yes, it was him. Cant recall the program name though.

Was it "Big Deal" ? And I think that the same guy was also the narrator for "King Rollo".

Hector's House - that was my favorite from the early 70's, although I think it was specific to Southern TV (as Meridian used to be called, before TVS etc).

We certainly had "Hector's House" in the Midlands too.

"I'm a foolish old Hector...." :unsure:

I will fess up to having an extensive collection of 80's kids shows on vid and DVD, including...

Chorlton and the Wheelies

Mr Benn

Captain Pugwash

Roobarb

The Flumps

The Herbs

Fingerbobs

Dougal and the Blue Cat (Magic roundabout movie!!)

Trap Door (series 1,2,3,4 and 5)

and my personal favourite... Potty Time.

ooh, no Clangers, must sort that out!!

Had are argument to the death with a programmer at work which was Mr Benn related. One of our applications has a pushbutton which is the spitting image of the Shopkeeper in Mr Benn. He denied it but it WAS the shopkeeper.

ps best theme tune = Roobarb!!!

Put's on hard hat, clears throat and...............well. Chorlton and The Wheelies I never saw, so I assume that was an 80's prog - I seem to recall my little brother liking it. The rest I remember watching so I reckon that they were actually - and this is the dangerous bit - programmes from the SEVENTIES. :unsure:

I'll get my coat, :unsure:

Take care,

Steve.

I'm sure that he played a pro card player called Robbie Box or similar in a series a few years back. He was the main character but I'm blowed if I can remember ithe programme name.

Yep, that was Ray and it was called "Big Deal", he was also in Cathy Come Home.

They had Hector's House oop north aswell - one of my college mates used to watch it, and she grew up in Newcastle.

The other thing they had on Southern was "The Saturday Banana Show", and there was always a big banana outside the studio when we drove past it.

As I recall, it was a bit like TISWAS - And people nowadays complain that Dick and Dom are too rowdy and uneducational!

They had Hector's House oop north aswell - one of my college mates used to watch it, and she grew up in Newcastle.

But did you know Hector was French? a-la Magic Roundabout.

Je Suis un vieux Hector stupide! (don't blame me, blame BabelFish)

There are certainly some great programs listed so far. Most of my favourite Kids TV programs are from the 70's and also some from the 60's. However that didn't stop me enjoying the 80's stuff either - I guess I never grew up. :unsure:

These are a couple of classic kids programs that I particularly liked (however, the last one is from the 60’s).

Animal Magic

Catweazle

Dangermouse

The Muppets

Jackanory

Stig of the Dump

How

The Tomorrow People

Paulus the Woodgnome

For those interested this web site list lots of old TV shows http://www.memorabletv.com

Edited by Al & Tracy Smith

'Mr Benn - now THERE's a proper cartoon! And I found out today that the bloke who plays Pauline's new husband in Eastenders was the narrator of Mr Benn. So there ya go!'

Cheers for clearing that up - ive been wondering why i recognised his voice for months!

the missus will be so pleased not to have me asking 'why do i know his voice?' all the time!

nice one - cheers! :unsure:

i dont't know what any of you are talking about :unsure:

your all showing your ages :unsure:

M :huh:

but........ahem...........i remember multi coloured swap shop with noel edmonds and posh paws the dinosaur on a saturday morning :D ...........and itsy and bitsy the spiders :unsure:

i just ran a search and swap shop ran from 1976-1981.......now i feel old :unsure:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

i just ran a search and swap shop ran from 1976-1981.......now i feel old :P

Me too. mainly since I read Al and Tracy's post pointing out that Paulus the Gnome was shown in the sixties. :P

Steve.

No need to feel old as Paulus the Woodgnome appeared on Dutch TV in 1967 and was then dubbed into other languages - so maybe it was early seventies before it reached UK TV. That might help you feel better. :P

Here’s another web site that has plenty of past children programmes - more nostalgia? http://www.jedisparadise.co.uk

Now for some oldies,

Eeyore (Joan) remembers

Andy Pandy

The Flower Pot Men

Now thats old, even before colour telly was invented :P

..........Oh Dear! so were mine :P

...even before Muffin The Mule was an offence :-)

Edited by Eckington

I cant believe nobody has mentioned the BANANA SPLITS

Can anyone remember the names?

Oh oh Djangoooooooo !!!!!!

And what about The Double Deckers with Billie, Doughnut and Tiger

Robinson Crusoe

White Horses

Belle & Sebastian

Pogles Wood

The Woodentops (I do a great Spotty Dog impersonation, but only when drunk :P)

Geeez I must be old :P

Edited by Jimblonduk

Now for some oldies,

Eeyore (Joan) remembers

Andy Pandy

The Flower Pot Men

Now thats old, even before colour telly was invented :o

Gas powered tv`s childrens programs included "Twizzel" and "Four Feather Falls" which were probably in the fifties I know I was :ph34r:

I cant believe nobody has mentioned the BANANA SPLITS

Can anyone remember the names?

Oh oh Djangoooooooo !!!!!!

And what about The Double Deckers with Billie, Doughnut and Tiger

Robinson Crusoe

White Horses

Belle & Sebastian

Pogles Wood

The Woodentops (I do a great Spotty Dog impersonation, but only when drunk ;))

Geeez I must be old :o

The Banana Splits sounded like "Fleagle, Beagle, Drooper, and Snork" in the song but I think the second one was actually Bingo. Snork was the elephantine one & we had a kid at school nicknamed Snork 'cos of his big nose - he's probably grown up with all sorts of psychological problems! My nick was Bungle 'cos my haircut made me look like Bungle from Rainbow, ny psychological problems manifest themselves by going out hunting tupperware in the woods :ph34r: .

As for Robinson Crusoe, White Horses, Belle & Sebastian (you forgot Tarzan & Daktari !) etc. Me & the missus were talking about this during the last school hols. We've both grown up with fond memories of the special progs that cropped up during the hols but nowadays theres a nonstop stream of kids programming, I wonder whether my kids will be reminiscing about any programming in 30 years time or whether it will all just be one amorphous mass of cheap foreign cartoons with nothing outstanding in their memories?

Now for some oldies,

Eeyore (Joan) remembers

Andy Pandy

The Flower Pot Men

Now thats old, even before colour telly was invented ;)

..........Oh Dear! so were mine :o

...even before Muffin The Mule was an offence :-)

Ah! Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ;)

How about Picture book, Tales of the Riverbank and The Woodentops to complete the set (although Tuesday WAS Andy Pandy day for me!!

....and I never was "into" Muffin the Mule as it was on "Commercial" tele and our box only had BBC.

..... I'll get me 'at....... :ph34r: