Cache Idea, Want Some Feedback

WE STARTED THINKING OF A CACHE IDEA LAST NIGHT AND DONT KNOW IF IT IS PLOSIBLE. WE THOUGHT OF BUYING A ROLE OF RAFFLE TICKEST TO PUT IN A AMMO CAN. INSIDE WOULD BE A LOG BOOK AND A BOX TO PUT ONE OF THE TWO TICKETS INTO A BOX IN THE CACHE. THEN LOG THE TICKET NUMBER IN BOTH LOGS IN THE CACHE AND ONLINE. EVERY MONTH OR SO WE WOULD EMPTY THE COPIE TICKET AND DRAW ONE AS THAT MONTHS WINNER. THE WINNER WOULD GET A PRIZE LIKE A GIFT CERTIFICAT TO A NATIONAL STORE OR ONLINE COMPANY. WORTH A TRY?

Edited by PG+LT+WD

Sounds like a fun idea. Just hope people take one ticket! ;)

edit: not sure if it would be considered gambling in some areas, so might be worth checking into local laws and with your reviewer as well just to be sure.

Edited by robert

FIGURED WE COULD MAIL A GIFT CARD TO ANY PLACE IN THE COUNRY FOR ANY ROAD TRIPPING CACHERS. SO ANY BODY COULD ENJOY. BUT THINKING ABOUT STILL PUTTING A FEW TRADE ITEMS FOR THE KIDS, FIGURE THAT THEY SOULD AWAYS GET SOME THING. I DON'T THINK ANY PROBLEMS WITH GAMBLING, THE FINDERS WOULD NOT BE BUYING TICKETS IT IS TOTALY FREE AND AT THEIR OTPION TO PARTICIPATE.

I think it sounds like fun. You should definitely make logging the ticket number online a pre-requisite for winning the prize. That would discourage people from taking more than one ticket.

A couple of questions come to mind. Would you allow people to log notes and take tickets each month? In other words, once you pick a winner, can people who found the cache previously write an online note and take another ticket for the next drawing?

Also, would any winners be automatically disqualified from winning again?

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Sorry. any how yes i think you can only find a cache once the first time. So I would say that you can only log and find and win once. ...............wait my other half is saying no it would probably be just once some one had won that you could not re enter but if you did not win you could try again.

It's probably easier all around if you allow people to re-enter/re-visit after every drawing. Most people probably won't do it, but some will. It's easier to go with the flow than to somehow try to regulate it. It also reduces the possibility that people would create *new* accounts to re-find your cache every month.

Good luck with your idea. It sounds like a lot of fun! Now if I can only figure out how to get to Idaho every month...

Edited by Trinity's Crew

You might want to decide what to do about families that log under one name. Can a family of four each take one ticket and log them in the 'found it' post, or does the family only get one chance to win? I personally don't think it matters which way you do it, but you will want to let people know on the cache page.

I would probably say that teams/families only get one ticket. It would be dificult to manage mutiple tickests per log. Even from most folks profiles you can't tell how many people are in the family. There are only three of us but some times I go alone or my parents come occasionaly. For that mater with this kind of thing Some one could always just say "well I have fifteen people in my family/team" but he caches alone. The success and fun of the cache like always would be dependant on honesty. None of us log a find on a cache when we didn't actualy find it. The hole idea behind this cache is to give away a little better prize than the standard MC toy.

The other thing I am curius about is if you were on the finder side what sort of gift certif. would you like. It sould be a place that every one accross the country sould be able to use so a national store / online redemption available. we were thinking walmart or something of that nature, but mabey a resturant would work to.

Most of your finders will be local, so you can make it for local shops some months, if you like. The only thing that I would avoid is making it a five dollar card for a place that doesn't have anything that costs less than a hundred dollars. That might not send the right message to others. If you mix up the prize from month to month, there will be less risk of someone saying that you are promoting one business over others.

In some places you can buy "credit cards" (for a small fee) that work anywhere.

Gas cards, restaurant cards, online credit, book stores, coffe shops, etc would all be nice.

The finder doesn't have to take the prize, after all, and they can always pass it along to 'the neighborhood kid who cuts the grass' if it isn't something they really want or need (and still feel that they are gaining some value for it).

Gift cards for stores or restaurants are great prizes. Sporting goods stores are a good choice. Mix it up a little.

If you decide to go ahead with your cache, keep in mind that there may be a few people who try to push the envelope. They may try to find loopholes that you (or I) haven't even considered to win your generous gifts. These people will be in the very small minority so don't let them spoil your fun. Have fun with your cache, and good luck !