Compass Question

It depends. if you are referencing with a map that points to magnetic, then you should set to magnetic, if not then set to true. AFAIK the difference depends on where you are. The magnetic north pole is not at the same spot as the north pole. in some parts of the world the north pole will be aligned with the magnetic north pole, so there will be no deviation. in other area it can be as much as 7 or 8 degrees off true north.

Edited by CenTexDodger

It depends. if you are referencing with a map that points to magnetic, then you should set to magnetic, if not then set to true. AFAIK the difference depends on where you are. The magnetic north pole is not at the same spot as the north pole. in some parts of the world the north pole will be aligned with the magnetic north pole, so there will be no deviation. in other area it can be as much as 7 or 8 degrees off true north.

My GPS unit says it is 3 degrees off with magnetic. So I just set it back to true north. Thank You.

Which one should I use and what is the difference?

Generally you use true north. Magnetic north changes with time. In eastern OKLA the magnetic declination is +3.5 degrees, today. It is changing at about 7 seconds per year.

If someone made a map referenced to magnetic north, then they would also have to put a date on the map. The viewer would then have to figure out what the magnetic declination was at the time the map was drafted and work accordingly.

You can get an estimate of magnetic declination by pointing N on a compass at the north star and then seeing where the needle settles. Although the north pole is wobbling so in 10,000 years that might not be true!

I use True North for everything. Maps use true, and it keeps everything consistent. My compass has a declination adjustment so it gives true also.

3 of my placed caches involve projections and/or triangulation. I used True North because I do not want to update my cache instructions every 10 to 20 years....................

I do not want to update my cache instructions every 10 to 20 years....................

Lazy! :unsure:

Wow, when I got my Explorist 300, it was defaulted for magnetic? Is that because it has an electronic compass? If so should I leave the default of should I turn the magnetic compass off and use true? Or any combination of the above? What would you do for geocaching?