Stupid Question But I Am Paranoid...

I have spent some time entering Middle Tennessee waypoints and the task is tedious doing it manually.

1) When I need to change the batteries, will my stored waypoints remain in memory? (I am guessing the answer is yes unless Garmin is a sadistic company.)

2) is there any way to hook this thing up to my computer? What will I need i.e. Hardware and Software?

Thank You,

Sincerely,

robotneil

The Garmin site, in the technical specifications says ...

Interfaces: RS232 with NMEA 0183, RTCM 104 DGPS data format and proprietary Garmin®

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/spec.html

Also look here for "cables".

http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_pro...ku=010-00270-00

Just be aware their RS-232/USB converter cable seems to be priced a wee bit high... These cables are "generic" and start as lo3 as $15 on i-net...

So yes there is some sort of interface, whether it works with popular software for waypoint editing somebody more framiliar with the uint will have to respond....

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

The Garmin site, in the technical specifications says ...

Interfaces: RS232 with NMEA 0183, RTCM 104 DGPS data format and proprietary Garmin®

So yes there is some cort of interface, whether it works with popular software for waypoint editing somebody more framiliar with the uint will have to respond....

Dale

Yes, now that I look on page 83 of the manual I see an accessory for this. Should have looked there first. Now I am just wondering about losing my waypoints when I change the batteries. And the software of course.

Most units will hold memory for anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds without battery... If you are quick you should not loose waypoints....

As a test....(before you have a zillion waypoints entered) pull batteries out, wait a few seconds and replace batteries, when unit powers up, and if waypoints are still there, you are good to go....

Also It may mention in manual about changing batteries.... and if you will looses waypoints or not...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

Most units will hold memory for anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds without battery... If you are quick you should not loose waypoints....

As a test....(before you have a zillion waypoints entered) pull batteries out, wait a few seconds and replace batteries, when unit powers up, and if waypoints are still there, you are good to go....

Also It may mention in manual about changing batteries.... and if you will looses waypoints or not...

Dale

I will look it up in the manual, I do not know why I did not look for this stuff there first. Good suggestion about testing it. Thank You

I have spent some time entering Middle Tennessee waypoints and the task is tedious doing it manually.

1) When I need to change the batteries, will my stored waypoints remain in memory? (I am guessing the answer is yes unless Garmin is a sadistic company.)

2) is there any way to hook this thing up to my computer? What will I need i.e. Hardware and Software?

Thank You,

Sincerely,

robotneil

Turning the unit on and off is operating a switch that connects and disconnects the battery to the internal circuitry. So, removing the battery is no different than turning the unit on and off. GPS units use static memory. Data placed in static memory will remain there until a command is given to remove it.

Thank You,

Sincerely,

robotneil

Turning the unit on and off is operating a switch that connects and disconnects the battery to the internal circuitry. So, removing the battery is no different than turning the unit on and off. GPS units use static memory. Data placed in static memory will remain there until a command is given to remove it.

Thank you, the manual says that it will not lose stored information when you remove the batteries, I am testing it now, had the batteries out for 5 minutes now. Perhaps it is written to some type of flash memory. Here goes nothing...Eureka! They are still there. God bless technology...

NOT always.... Most system draw a minute amount of battery power while unit is off to "keep alive" some memory functions, also it keeps the internal clock, calander running.... Turning switch off/on only turns off/on main user and screen fuctions.

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

NOT always.... Most system draw a minute amount of battery power while unit is off to "keep alive" some memory functions, also it keeps the internal clock, calander running.... Turning switch off/on only turns off/on main user and screen fuctions.

Dale

Dosn't the clock set itself by the sats?

It resets itself based on the satellite data once it gets a lock, but you may have noticed that the receiver already knows the approximate time before it acquires the satellite signals.

Reasonably quick acquisition of the satellite signals requires that the unit know the approximate location and time so it knows for which particular satellites it should look. Therefore each receiver has an internal clock that runs even when the unit is turned off. When the batteries are removed it can still run for a couple weeks on the charge stored in a capacitor.

If the clock or almanac data ever gets corrupted then the unit would need to go through a longer 'Auto-Locate' search to find the satellite signals and properly reset the clock and/or almanac.

It resets itself based on the satellite data once it gets a lock, but you may have noticed that the receiver already knows the approximate time before it acquires the satellite signals.

Reasonably quick acquisition of the satellite signals requires that the unit know the approximate location and time so it knows for which particular satellites it should look. Therefore each receiver has an internal clock that runs even when the unit is turned off. When the batteries are removed it can still run for a couple weeks on the charge stored in a capacitor.

If the clock or almanac data ever gets corrupted then the unit would need to go through a longer 'Auto-Locate' search to find the satellite signals and properly reset the clock and/or almanac.

Wow, that is pretty cool. Glad I was enlightned.