Multi-mania

I've done a 10 stage multi-cache.

I've also done a permanent orienterring course that's listed as a virtual cache where you had to find at least 12 of the 24 control points to claim a find.

You'll get fewer people attempting and completing long multi-caches, but they're fun for folks who want to do it.

If it's close to home (20 miles or less), the number of stages wouldn't matter. But if it's something we can't return to easily because of distance from home, total length of the hike, or extreme terrain, we wouldn't attempt a multi of more than 3-4 stages. When we hit the road to go caching, we stick with traditional caches, or multis of 2 or maybe 3 parts.

Largest multi I've ever done was a 24 stage driving multi. You never really needed to get out of the car though except for the final stage so I don't think that counts.<_< Largest walking multi I've done is 8 stages, and I own a 10 stage and even thats pushing it. Anymore than that and I think people get scared and just pass them over. Unless there is something very special about the cache itself not too many people will be interested.

Random observations from a fan of multicaches (hiding them, finding them, reviewing them):

Four or so stages is the average upper limit.

A multicache with ten stages can still be terrific, IF the ten stages take me to interesting places, or a nice loop hike, or related historical locations, etc. -- NOT just random spots where a coordinate tag is hidden.

A big constraining factor on owning multicaches is owner maintenance. More containers = more maintenance trips. Consider using virtual stages to point out interesting objects and use on-site information for coordinate clues.

A big constraining factor on finding multicaches is the fear that you will locate stages one through six, and get stumped on stage seven because it's gone missing. If the owner then takes four months to fix the cache, that's very frustrating.

I have a 21 stage multi that I setup mainly as a fun excuse to explore the Adirondacks, where I live. There are stages that require boating, shallow underwater diving, bushwhacking, climbing cliffsides and trail-less mountains, backcountry hiking, exploring swamps and bogs, some muggle-cool interactions, a virtual, and a couple of night stages. All told, you have to cover about 20 miles by foot and a couple of miles by boat.

The first stage has a sheet with coordinates for all of the other stages. You have to visit all of the stages (or close to it) to put together the coordinates for the final stage. I was amazed that it was found twice in the same summer that I placed it. Because of the way the initial stage is layed out, people can keep going even if they miss one of the stages, or it is missing...this happened last summer (one stage anchored underwater floated away and was returned to me by a forest ranger...my name and number are on all of the stages), and the seeker used the contact info included in the initial coord sheet to get ahold of me..they went on to find numerous other stages while I replaced the missing one, and then they were able to finish the whole thing...it has taken both sets of people about a week of full-day solid hunting to get to the end.

There are special one-of-a-kind buttons as gifts in the final cache container for people who find it.

Jamie

Edited by NFA

The first stage has sheet with coordinates for all of the other stages. You have to visit all of the stages (or close to it) to put together the coordinates for the final stage. I was amazed that it was found twice in the same summer that I placed it. Because of the way the initial stage is layed out, people can keep going even if they miss one of the stages, or it is missing.

That is a great solution to the "missing stage" problem. I am currently working on a mega-multi-puzzle cache, and I may rethink my design.

The largest multi we have done is a 19 stager, and that's plenty long enough for me. :)

From all the comments about finding being the name of the game in other threads, I am surprised that there aren't more ultra-long multis. You get to do all sorts of finding on those. <_<

joe

My general rule: if it's MORE than 3, it can wait a LOOOOng time!

My experience: I have a 3-stage that gets very few visits. It is easy, and has a nice walk in the woods at the end, but is a 10 mile drive.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1c-0ba9d267ac48

My Ideal : (which I did because a.) it's only 10 miles away, and b.) it belongs to a friend) is a 6-stage, a couple miles of walking with some really great stages, in a wonderful area:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a2-91840817fbe2

I have one that's a 4 stage (GCMH66) that has been very popular. I also have a new one that I just placed about a month ago (GCT643) that can be a 4, 6, or 7 stage. Only one finder so far.

But for me... If it's close the amount of stages dosen't matter. If I am away from my home area the max is 3.

We're in the middle of a new cachers series of 36 micros. We did the first 20 in 2 days and are waiting for the rest to be listed. They're scattered over 32 miles of hiking trails, and the first to complete all 36 gets a prize mailed to them. Not sure what it is, but it should be good after all that hiking.

Snakes and Ladders is a very famous local multi that has many stages and redirects. It has taken some people months to complete.

It took four of us more than six hours, and several lifeline calls, to figure out the unique and creative waypoints while walking a couple of miles all over a large park.

I prefer multis where you walk the entire distance instead of driving. For a "normal" multi, if it is a really nice hike, and the waypoints are not too difficult to find, five or six waypoints would be the ideal maximum for me.

There is a parking lot Multi I've heard about here that has something like 27 waypoints :P all hidden under lamppost skirts. That is one I probably won't seek . . .