Finding You Own Caches

I'm pretty sure this falls under the "However you choose to play the game" heading, but I was just wondering if other cachers have faced this problem and how they have dealt with it:

The Southseakers are a family team and all fairly keen cachers, we all enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the joy of the find. However only one team member (me <_<) really enjoys placing caches, the rest of the team will come along but don't enjoy the hunt for the perfect (or at least best) hiding place, or the process of getting enough readings for a good average or finding good clues for a multi.

Most of the Southseaker caches have been placed primarily by me - the rest of the team usually help with a dry run through the cache but have said it would be fun to be able to "do the cache properly".

Which brings me to my point. I am planning to set up a new individual account as primarily a cache setting alias - allowing the rest of the team to log finds of my/our caches (obviously not FTFs though).

Just wondered what the general concensus was on the etiquette? :)

My daughter has her own caching name and she had logged most of the caches I have set up. She hasn't been with me when I sited them so it is no different for her to find one of mine or someone elses. She has the GPSr and away she goes to find it. I follow on behind and she usually finds it without any help from me so I don't see a problem with her logging it.

She has now set her first cache and although I did help her out with that, I will still log it on our next maintenance visit.

We obviously wouldn't log a FTF on each others caches either but as long as it is logged on a "proper" visit I consider it acceptable.

I have a few unreleased Geocoins as well and she grabs them from me for the icon. I don't think there is any difference in that to finding my caches.

This is just my opinion, for what it's worth, but that how we play the game.

Sounds fair enough if you're part of a caching team :):D:lol:

........The only person who will miss out is you, not being able to join the rest of the family in the hunt. Or at least not as anything more than an observer.....

How will you avoid the temptation to shout out "....Warm......Warmer......Hot!.....ooh, colder...."? :)<_<:)

Edited by Nediam

Sounds fair enough if you're part of a caching team :lol::):)

........The only person who will miss out is you, not being able to join the rest of the family in the hunt. Or at least not as anything more than an observer.....

How will you avoid the temptation to shout out "....Warm......Warmer......Hot!.....ooh, colder...."? <_<:):)

It will be a temptation, guess I will have to hang back from the find! :D

The real fun will be when they get a digit of the multi wrong and proceed on a three mile route march to the middle of a bramble patch at the bottom of a ditch in the middle of no where! Then they may be a real temptation to say "Are you sure?" :D:)

It is slightly off topic, but what about logging a picture on your own web-cam cache. You do not have any advantage over any other cacher.

I'm pretty sure that our local webcam cache was logged by its owner - I remember thinking "fair enough".

I think its one of those "However you choose to play the game" things

It is slightly off topic, but what about logging a picture on your own web-cam cache. You do not have any advantage over any other cacher.

Posting your own picture on the cache page is a requirement for setting webcam caches.

I never knew that! <_< Slightly OT (sorry!) are webcams still allowed, or are they grouped along with virtuals and so on?

I have logged finds on quite a few of my caches...

I didn't place them originally, but took them over when they needed adopting...

Since I had never found them before, I could see no reason why I shouldn't log them!

In fact I could legitimately hold the record for finding the most of one's own caches in a day! <_<

Bob Aldridge

I never knew that! <_< Slightly OT (sorry!) are webcams still allowed, or are they grouped along with virtuals and so on?

Gone the way of the Dodo.

Logging your own webcam cache is less of a challenge than it might be for a finder unfamiliar with where to stand to get in shot, but I don't think that's too much of a problem.

Back OT, I'd say setting up a 'setting' account so the rest of the family can find it and log it as a find is a good practical work-around the 'problem', in my opinion.

Its all down to you really. I have seen people log a find on their own cache because someone else has moved it from its original hiding place, not something I would do, but if the setter is happy with it then so be it. If you are placing a cache and the rest of your team have no prior knowledge then when they find it why shouldn't they log it?

Your own stats are basically there for you, as it's only you which is likely to become fanatical about them (everyone else has their own stats to become fanatical about!) so if you are happy with it then carry on!

zr7 and i have seperate cache accounts as we cache both together and seperately. when i set my cache i went with him when he went to find it but just leaned on the gate and watched him find it without helping.

if one of us has already found a cache and is keeping the other company while they go to find it at a later date we just watch without commenting-as its more about the walk for us it doesnt bother either of us

so...trying to think what my point was...oh yeah i dont think its an ettiquette breach as you arent planning on letting them be FTF or show them where it is. and as for just being an observer even thats not too much of a prob if your in company having a nice walk out

Edited by freespirit1402

Well given all the above, us Cache Hoppers just might go and find Renegade Rabbit's caches in due course. We did find one whilst out walking but didn't log it. The views on some of his caches are brilliant apparently so looks like it will have to be done.

Note for those who don't already know - Renegade Rabbit is a Cache Hopper but was sneaking off on his own time caching and we objected and suggested he got his own caching ID! ;);):P