Travisl Takes A Break?

bcrockcrawler

Interesting post today on travisl's blog

"So long, and thanks for all the caches

I should have done this several months ago, but this morning I finally cancelled my Geocaching.com membership. I haven't gone out caching much since last summer, and my desire to hunt for film canisters in the woods really isn't there any more. When I was in Orange County in January and February, there was a series of caches just a few blocks from my training classroom, but I didn't bother to discover they existed until I was there for a few days, and I never did bother to go hunting for them.<P>

If my interest peaks again in the future I can always re-sign up, but I won't have "charter member" status ever again. Kinda sad. :-(<P>

(Sigh: see? I'm not even interested enough to go chase down links to drop into the first paragraph.)"

I hope his time away will re-energize his joy and interest for the game again.

Although I could never attend one of his famous cache machines due to one thing or another, I always appretiated the work it took to plan and execute one of his legendary events.

TravisL, we will miss you and thanks for all you have done for the Geocaching Community. The first time I met him was at the very first Cache Machine in Bremerton. Haven't checked but I was among the first to find his cache at Potlatch State Park and another at a diving spot further north on Hood Canal. Best of luck to you Travisl. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

But then, I think only a law student would want to form a club that would have attorneys as its members. :unsure:

I'm looking for lawyers that I like to justify my decision of moving from one of the most respected professions to one of the least.

Finding few even in my own class, I figured caching lawyers would be the best bet. :unsure:

Edit:

To clarify: I don't really want to form such a group. Just envisoioning the bylaws alone gives me a headache.

Edited by Bull Moose

Thanks for the very kind words. The geocaching community has really been the nicest and most helpful group of folks I've ever worked or played with. Perhaps it's my pollyanna attitude, but what few conflicts disgareements I've encountered have been polite yet heartfelt on all sides. After my house fire 2½ years ago, the outpouring of support from the local geocachers was absolutely amazing.

I think our trip to St. Helens broke him. :unsure:

Dude, that was the most intense hike I've ever taken. Even though I didn't make it to the top with my rubbery legs, and didn't get to the cache, I count that among the most sucessful things I've ever attempted.

I hope he takes a break and regains interest. I want to start a Puget Sound Attorney Caching Club when I graduate, and he's the only other potential member I know of. :unsure:

Sounds fun to me. I've been on WSBA inactive status for two years now, though (only because I'm too young to qualify for "retired" status), so as long as your PSACC membership qualifications aren't strict, count me in :unsure:

Burnout happens to the best of us and with the way he headed up the cache machines, I'm not surprised by the pull back.

Nah, it wasn't the cache machine organizing that did it, so much as the overwhelming growth of micros and minis, particularly those hidden where a normal size cache would do. The growth of these is understandable, as the good spots for "traditional" caches are pretty much already taken. That, plus the frustration of my legendary inability to find an ammo can until I trip over it, caused my waning interest. Add to that my growing interest in other non-caching activities (i.e., poker), and my realization that I've searched for only five non-CM caches or so in the last year or so... it was just time to save $3 a month and discontinue my gc.com membership.

Really, to me, it was about visiting neat spots. At this point, I've visited most of the neat spots in my home area, and with so many caches out there now, there's too many non-neat spots with caches, and it's nearly impossible to tell how neat a spot is before you make the effort to visit it. (An no, micro status doesn't indicate non-neatness. The MuseumOfGlass cache is a good example of a neat location with a micro.)

Thanks for the very kind words. The geocaching community has really been the nicest and most helpful group of folks I've ever worked or played with. Perhaps it's my pollyanna attitude, but what few conflicts disgareements I've encountered have been polite yet heartfelt on all sides. After my house fire 2½ years ago, the outpouring of support from the local geocachers was absolutely amazing.

I think our trip to St. Helens broke him. :unsure:

Dude, that was the most intense hike I've ever taken. Even though I didn't make it to the top with my rubbery legs, and didn't get to the cache, I count that among the most sucessful things I've ever attempted.

I hope he takes a break and regains interest. I want to start a Puget Sound Attorney Caching Club when I graduate, and he's the only other potential member I know of. :unsure:

Sounds fun to me. I've been on WSBA inactive status for two years now, though (only because I'm too young to qualify for "retired" status), so as long as your PSACC membership qualifications aren't strict, count me in :unsure:

Burnout happens to the best of us and with the way he headed up the cache machines, I'm not surprised by the pull back.

Nah, it wasn't the cache machine organizing that did it, so much as the overwhelming growth of micros and minis, particularly those hidden where a normal size cache would do. The growth of these is understandable, as the good spots for "traditional" caches are pretty much already taken. That, plus the frustration of my legendary inability to find an ammo can until I trip over it, caused my waning interest. Add to that my growing interest in other non-caching activities (i.e., poker), and my realization that I've searched for only five non-CM caches or so in the last year or so... it was just time to save $3 a month and discontinue my gc.com membership.

Really, to me, it was about visiting neat spots. At this point, I've visited most of the neat spots in my home area, and with so many caches out there now, there's too many non-neat spots with caches, and it's nearly impossible to tell how neat a spot is before you make the effort to visit it. (An no, micro status doesn't indicate non-neatness. The MuseumOfGlass cache is a good example of a neat location with a micro.)

Phew, thought it was gonna be my fault... :unsure:

Phew, thought it was gonna be my fault... :P

It probably would have been if he could have found that article. :P

There are plenty of neat spots on the Longview Cache Machine (*hint hint* TravisL). We haven't gotten to the point yet where it's so saturated you put caches under lamppost skirts. Though I'll admit I have raised the ratio of micros quite a bit since I got here.