Uploading Pictures

bjab

With photos its easy to make them smaller but bigger images print better.

So I always shoot at the best resolution possible, then reduce to upload to this site/my web site.

That way if I am lucky enough to get that "fantastic" shot we all want to take, I can print it out A4 or larger.

But from the image upload page

Some Tips

If your original image is under 125k or 600 pixels wide, the largest image will not be resized.

It doesn't do the best resizing job. Editing your own larger image is preferable.

Final images will always be converted to jpg.

Edited by Deego

It seems like though the pictures are kind of blury and have fuzzy edges after they are uploaded to this site.... anyone noticed that? Thats why I was wondering if the resolution of the picture being uploaded, makes a difference.

I take pictures at the full resolution for my camera. The pictures are 2592 by 1944 pixels, large enough to make a 2' X 3' poster.

I use Corel PhotoPaint to resize the pictures I want to upload to this site or to the space my ISP provides. For this site, I reduce them to 72 dpi by 600 by 450 pixels. For my blog, I reduce the size to approximately 430 by 320.

Irfanview is a free program you can use to edit photographs.

The web site says it resizes pictures if they are more than 800 pixels wide or over 125Kb in file size. In my experience, it doesn't always do it and I've uploaded files up to 200Kb, and over 900 pixels wide. My information could be out of date. For best results, resize you pictures on your own computer to avoid having geocaching.com do it for you. That way they will look the same after uploading as they did when you created them.