Cheapest Pda Used For Storing Text Files

You don't need that much memory. My first PDA had 8 MB and was capable of holding info for several thousand caches. Of course if you want pictures and maps, you will want the extra memory, and probably a color screen. But for basic paperless caching, you can probably find an adequate PDA on eBay for under $20.

I've still got that first PDA, a Visor Edge, that I'll give you for free. The built-in battery is toast so you'd need to buy a new one, but that would probably cost about 10x what the shipping alone would be :anibad:

The Palms with monochrome screens are much easier to read in bright sunlight than those with a color screen. I have a Palm M500.

Whatever you get, I recommend you invest in a hard case. I've dropped my Palm a few times while trying to juggle it, the GPSr, and my walking stick. The case has dings in it, but the Palm has survived just fine.

Cachemate works very well on the Palm. :anibad:

I just bought a Fossil Abacus Watch a few weeks ago and it is aweome. Basically its got Palm OS 4.1, and 8mb of memory and it also has a 55mhz processor. It has a stylus the slides into the watch band. It has a lithium battery that last around 2 days depending on usage. But I love the little thing, its one less thing I need to carry, and its always there on my wrist. You can with the right software do just about anything with this little bugger. I can turn on and off anything that has a remote. I can play games. I can download word document, powerpoints, pictures, excel spreadsheets, and even small movies into it. It has a 16 level grey scale, and a great touchscreen. It also has a backlight, that is a really pretty blue color. It is great for geocaching because its small, its on your wrist, and can store hundreds of cache pages. Oh yea and I forgot to mention it also has a clock.

I got it for $25 on ebay, it had never even been used before. I love ebay.

Here is a link about all the features it has PDA watch

Probably the least expensive PDA that will work for geocaching is the Palm IIIxe, about $20 if you shop around. But this has 8mb of memory ... enough for geocaching ... but not the 256mb you specified. If you want 256mb, the best bet may be the Palm Zire 31 with a 256mb SD card, about $150, or less if you shop.

Hello,

Thank you all for the help! I just have two last questions:

1. The palms that you guys are talking about, can I download it by usb?

2. If I didn't sign up for the Premium Membership can I still use the free palm programs on the internet, or do I have to get a Premium Membership for this to work?

Thanks,

ChaseOnTheGo

Hello,

I have two questions concerning paperless caching:

1. The palms that you guys are talking about, can I download it by usb?

2. If I didn't sign up for the Premium Membership can I still use the free palm programs on the internet, or do I have to get a Premium Membership for this to work?

Thanks,

ChaseOnTheGo

2. Premium Membership not required. You can save a page at a time and use the free programs to hot sync to your palm.

Pretty sure individual cache page downloads (GPX file) are only available to premium members. non-premium can download LOC files but those don't have all the info.