1st Geocache In Canada Geocoin Pre-order

The Lost Geeks

The 1st Geocache in Canada Working Group is pleased to reveal the design of the upcoming geocoin, celebrating the 6th anniversary of the placement of the geocache in June 2006.

The pre-order page is located at http://www.atlanticgeocaching.com, under "Geocoin Pre-Order" from the menu on the right. This is a special coin, since it will be minted in Canada and unique to the region. A run of 1000 coins will be produced at a cost of $10 CDN + shipping.

This coin will be trackable on Geocaching.com and will have a unique icon.

Delivery of the coin from our local producer will happen the last week of April 2006, and will be shipped within days after that.

The sale of the geocoin will fund the placement of a plaque at the 1st cache in Canada location and event on June 24, 2006.

Any extra proceeds will go into the ACGA, a non profit association to fund workshops and other Geocaching related events in Atlantic Canada.

Any questions can be sent to orders@atlanticgeocaching.com.

1st Geocache in Canada Working Group

(Tucats, Eastriver, Dragonflys, The Lost Geeks, 3-Bearss & TheCyr)

b063bbce31a83794378ac0372415a092.jpg

Edited by The Lost Geeks

Sorry about that here are the details:

Canada's first Geocache geocoin is a 1.5 inches diameter by 0.12 inches thick made of pewter. This coin was designed by the 1st Geocache in Canada working group located in Nova Scotia and produced in New Brunswick Canada. Making this a 100% locally produced coin.

The colors are red for the Canadian flag details and X on Nova Scotia and yellow-gold for the coins in and outside the treasure chest.

All black details are recessed and filled with graphite dust.

Each coin is packed within its own polybag

The coin is trackable on geocaching.com

NOTE: Estimated delivery of the coin from the producer will be during the last week of April, 2006. Shipping to customers will occur within days afterwards.

Coin clubs or a group who wants to purchase a greater quantity please contact us for shipping rates.

PAYPAL is the only payment option at this time for orders outside of the Atlantic Provinces. For orders within the Atlantic provinces, we also accept Canada Post Money Orders.

--------------

Le géocoin de la première géocache au Canada (GCBBA) est fait d'étain et a un diamètre de 1,5 " de diamètre et une épaisseur de 0,12 ". Cette pièce a été conçue par l'équipe de la 1ère Géocache au Canada située dans la Nouvelle-Écosse et produite au Nouveau Brunswick, Canada. Donc, une pièce produite localement à 100%.

Les couleurs sont le rouge pour les détails du drapeau canadien et sur le X et l'or pour les pièces de monnaie à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur du coffre de trésor.

Tous les détails noirs sont enfoncés et remplis de poussière de graphite. Chaque pièce de monnaie est emballée dans son propre poly-sac et sera « trackable sur geocaching.com »

La livraison estimée de la pièce de monnaie du producteur à nous aura lieu pendant la dernière semaine d'avril 2006. La livraison aux clients s'effectuera dans les jours suivants.

PAYPAL est la seule option de paiement.

Edited by The Lost Geeks

Well I like it :anibad:

Not at all saying it isn't a nicely designed coin, just that the design doesn't appear to warrant such a high price tag for this coin. But then of course, it seems the market always seems to bear what ever price is put on the coins.

As I see it, it does not want to come even it wants to make a profit to place a plaque at the location of the first Canadian Geocache.

I used the wrong converter, lol... $8.60 US I'll think about it.

I agree that the price seems pretty high for such a simple design. Is that what the premium is for a "local" coin maker?

Looks like a $4 US cost coin from most the other places.

There are $4 coins? Not most other places I've seen. Plus this one is trackable with icon, so that would put it at $5.65. And they stated that the proceeds go to the ACGA and not lining one single cachers pocket. Add to that $0.60 for paypal fees. Sure, it's a bit steep, not not too far out of line, all things considered.

--Marky

Rappelez-vous que ceux-ci ne sont pas fabriqués en Chine comme toutes les autres pièces avec la couleur sur elles. Si nous les avions fait dehors de l'Amérique du Nord, le prix serait probablement entre 7.00 ou 8.00 au lieu de 8.60 que nous chargeons.

Also remember these are not being made in China like all of the other coins with colour on them. If we had them made out side of North America then the price would possibly be 7.00US or 8.00US instead of the 8.60US we are charging.

These will be made in North America, Fredericton New Brunswick to be exact.

The icon is still being worked out but it will be something that reflects Canada and the 1st Cache.

Thanks to all those who have ordered!!

<_<

I used the wrong converter, lol... $8.60 US I'll think about it.

I agree that the price seems pretty high for such a simple design. Is that what the premium is for a "local" coin maker?

Looks like a $4 US cost coin from most the other places.

There are $4 coins? Not most other places I've seen. Plus this one is trackable with icon, so that would put it at $5.65. And they stated that the proceeds go to the ACGA and not lining one single cachers pocket. Add to that $0.60 for paypal fees. Sure, it's a bit steep, not not too far out of line, all things considered.

--Marky

I wasn't saying they should sell for $4, just that the cost to mint them would only be about $4 at many of the other places. From the two sources that provided me with pricing sheets, yes they would cost under $4.

Looks like I missed the part about it funding their event and the plaque. Go ahead and ignore my price complaint. (though it does stand for most any coin that has 1000 made that $8 is a very steep price)

Maybe if I was somewhere near them to participate in the event that this is funding I would be more interested.

Anyway, I wish them luck on the fundraising. It should be quite the grand bash.

No, I am not. But many GC.com coins tend to go higher. These coins are being minted in small quantities and locally. Many local cachers are buying them up. So I guess it just boils down to how bad you want one. I see coins for sale commemorating something or other on the other side of the continent or wherever. If it doesn't have a lot of significance to me I probably won't fork over the money to buy it.

I just want everyone to know the proceeds of this coin will also be going to a BIG!!! event this summer here in the Maritimes.

Everyone around the world is invited and welcome to come, we are hoping to have a down home Maritime Kitchen party!! (we will have a big kitchen!!) :unsure:

Please watch for the event being posted soon.

email us for more information about this if you are interested!

Thank you to all who are helping support this celebration of the 1st Geocache in Canada!!!

If you have any questions or if there are groups interested in purchasing we still have some coins available but they are going fast!

orders@atlanticgeocaching.com

I just want everyone to know the proceeds of this coin will also be going to a BIG!!! event this summer here in the Maritimes.

Everyone around the world is invited and welcome to come, we are hoping to have a down home Maritime Kitchen party!! (we will have a big kitchen!!) :unsure:

Please watch for the event being posted soon.

email us for more information about this if you are interested!

When/where will this Ceilidh be taking place? I might just have to make the trip.

June 24, 2006 is the tentative date.

event details will be posted at http://atlanticgeocaching.com

I've been looking for an excuse to get back to Nova Scotia to do that cache. This might be just the thing. I'll be watching for the event listing.

We are planning for quite a few people to head our way for the event. Everyone is welcome to come and get a taste of our Maritime hospitality!

We will have more information on the event at www.atlanticgeocaching.com please keep an eye out for it!

BTW... There are still Canadian coins for sale! The more we sell the better the event will be!

don't want to hijack the thread so second last post about the event, we finally got in touch with the park people and started the process so looks good. I will start its own thread after first meeting and but link in here.

dragonflys

the coin guys said a lot of coins sold yesterday so fence sitters should get to it as soon as possible