Chicago Area Cache Suggestions?

chubby forest monkey

"Chicago" covers a big area. I presume you mean downtown.

Regardless of whether it's downtown or suburbs, the Chicago region is quickly becoming the land of the micros.

With the criteria you gave, there are only about 30 caches - non-micro and non-small, non-virtual, non-webcam - within a 10 mile radius of the loop.

You can e-mail me through the site, and I'll send you a list - you can decide on the quality from the logs. You can also head over to the GONIL forums (follow my signature link) and ask over there - maybe you'll find a more promising answer.

"Chicago" covers a big area. I presume you mean downtown.

Well I'm not really sure, but what I am interested in is getting out of town to cache.

Regardless of whether it's downtown or suburbs, the Chicago region is quickly becoming the land of the micros.

I am sorry to say the same thing is happening here and we have vast expanses of public land. Most of the active cachers around here don't want to leave their car anymore.

With the criteria you gave, there are only about 30 caches - non-micro and non-small, non-virtual, non-webcam - within a 10 mile radius of the loop.

You can e-mail me through the site, and I'll send you a list - you can decide on the quality from the logs. You can also head over to the GONIL forums (follow my signature link) and ask over there - maybe you'll find a more promising answer.

Will do!

Strike that number 30. It's actually only about 16:

GCRG3T

GCR8W9

GCKARR

GCQTKN

GCKWJB

GCKCA8

GCKCZN

GCQ0RP

GCPVA8

GCQ3MQ

GCG10C

GCKKMT

GCK5MF

GCPT1F

GCKAZE

GCN13W

But that's because there's not a TON of public parks in the downtown region. Spread that same center out to 20 miles instead of 10, and the number jumps to 172 caches that fit the criteria.

Since you're a premium member, try setting up a pocket query on the types of caches you'd like to find (type, size, terrain, difficulty, etc.), and center the search around 41.87986, -87.61662 (N 41 52.792, W 87 36.997) and extend it about 20 miles. See if anything tickles your fancy.

Edit: Fixed formatting.

Edited by Markwell

I will be visiting Chicago for a few days, and would like to take the niece and nephew caching.

Can you recommend some nearby hike in the forest type caches within a short drive of the city? (not interested in suburbs, micros or roadside caches)

Do A Search on the following 3 zip codes. They will give you areas with a pretty dense cache population

60606 (downtown Chicago) There are approx 100 caches within a 5 mile radius, 17 within 1 mile. Also check out the LSBT series which, if you go to Navy Pier and rent a bike, you can do riding the 18 miles up and down the lakefront. There are 23 or 24 caches.

I also have this virtual you could grab as well.

60187 (Wheaton - Suburb)

60195 (Hoffman Estates - Suburb)

The latter two are near the expressway, so fairly easy to reach and have a mixture of parks, forest preserves and urban type hides.

Edited by baloo&bd