Is My Bug A Goner?

ksphotoguy

Why do you think it's a goner, because it hasn't been dropped in a month? If so, don't worry it's actually not that uncommon to have a delay from time to time.

If you are worried that the coin is going to be taken then yes, you shouldn't release anything you aren't willing to lose.

If it helps, one of my bugs has been held since the first part of October. I just now contacted the holder to see if they need any assistance.

Good Luck!

Edit: speeling

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks for the support. I did e-mail the holder and he said he meant to take with him on a trip to Texas and he left at home in his vehicle. He said he will be moving it on soon.

Man, missing for years then re-appearing..... that is a surprise.

Guess I will have to be more patient. What is considered a reasonable time for a bug being held before you contact the holder?

The fact that the current holder got back to you is a good sign. I will no longer put out any type of coin in the future though. I own.... Let me change that to bought a three USA GEOCOINS and two other Geocaching coins that look really cool, but are not trackable through the Groundspeak site. So, I attached bug tags to them. Both of those coins ended up with bogus tokens attached, instead of the coins that I had attached. One of them didn't even make it out of the first cache with the original coin attached. As far as my USA coins... Only one is still out there. I wish your coin luck, but unfortunatly there is a small handfull of cachers... You know, change that to "crooks with GPS's" that like to collect shiny things. Again, GOOD LUCK with your coin... I really mean that.

six months. Ok maybe three, but no less.

OK, so first the attached doll turns up missing, then the bug winds up parked with someone who won't respond to emails. Great Geo Oracle, is my bug a goner?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=179718

Ask again.

;)

hmm let me check a few things.

Okay, his cached with Basssax. You could see if they could contact him.

And I believe he's a member of http://www.mdgps.org/index.php

Edited by BlueDeuce

... I own.... Let me change that to bought a three USA GEOCOINS and two other Geocaching coins that look really cool, but are not trackable through the Groundspeak site. So, I attached bug tags to them. Both of those coins ended up with bogus tokens attached, instead of the coins that I had attached. One of them didn't even make it out of the first cache with the original coin attached. As far as my USA coins... Only one is still out there. I wish your coin luck, but unfortunatly there is a small handfull of cachers... You know, change that to "crooks with GPS's" that like to collect shiny things. Again, GOOD LUCK with your coin... I really mean that.

Certainly agree with the "shiny things" sentiment - we bought a couple of TB tags and a couple of geocoins. The first coin never made it out of the first cache - two days after we dropped it, it was missing with no trace. That was almost a year ago and we've seen no activity - so I'll assume someone has just taken it - although I'm not really sure what possible good it could do anyone. Disappointed, we decided to try again, and our second coin was passed around locally for a bit, then held for one group for a while. It's now missing after they dropped it off at an event. The last folks to have had it have found 3 coins - 2 of them were listed with "Unknown" locations after they "dropped" them off. That one may still turn up in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. Had better luck with a travel bug that someone picked up and took half-way across the country with several stops for photos (lighthouses, Kelloggs Cereal HQ, Baseball Hall of Fame, Boston - we thought it was very cool that someone would take a TB with them on a fairly long trip and take pics of it in those places!) Then, a 1st time cacher picked it up as soon as it ended that trip - and now it's MIA as well. I contacted the guy who had found it after he'd had it for 3 months - his only TB find in his only cache find - to ask him to please move it to a new cache soon (yes, I was very pleasant and not at all scolding in any way - I just said that it appeared that he had the TB and that I'd appreciate it if he could drop it off in a new cache soon) He DID reply that he was sorry for not doing so sooner, but that he'd move it along soon. That was a few weeks back - but again, I'm not holding my breath on the likelihood of ever seeing that one again.

Overall, I'm not even sure I'll bother to release my other TB's. In less than a year, it appears we're 0/3 - not very encouraging insofar as the lifespan of our trackables is concerned. I'll continue to move other TB's and coins, but can't really justify spending money on these things if they're going to disappear so frequently. Too bad that a few just seem to want to screw things up for others. Given what I know about human nature, I'm not all that surprised - just disappointed.

As Latitude32 said, I hope that your luck is better!