W S G A Puzzle Verifier

WeightMan

When RightWingWacko put together the new website for WSGA, he put in a neat feature that appears to be little used. When you get to the page, click on features and in the menu bar at the top of the page is an option for Puzzle Verifier. Click on that, enter the GC# and your coords and you can see if others have tried those coords, if people have found the cache at those coords, or if the owner has posted those coords. It will work on any cache in the state, be it a puzzle or a multi, or whatever.

Neat feature, Thanks RWW.

Not knowing how this works leaves me feeling a little uneasy. And no I can't check it out myself since I am not a member.

Does the WSGA obtain the puzzle owner's permission before giving out confirmation information?

I've always understood that it is bad form to obtain additional cache solution information from anyone other than the cache owner.

When RightWingWacko put together the new website for WSGA, he put in a neat feature that appears to be little used. When you get to the page, click on features and in the menu bar at the top of the page is an option for Puzzle Verifier. Click on that, enter the GC# and your coords and you can see if others have tried those coords, if people have found the cache at those coords, or if the owner has posted those coords. It will work on any cache in the state, be it a puzzle or a multi, or whatever.

Neat feature, Thanks RWW.

Quite outstanding to say the least. The self-submittal function beats the heck out of mine although verifying the lat/lon independently might be nice to add (mine does that).

Not knowing how this works leaves me feeling a little uneasy. And no I can't check it out myself since I am not a member.

Does the WSGA obtain the puzzle owner's permission before giving out confirmation information?

I've always understood that it is bad form to obtain additional cache solution information from anyone other than the cache owner.

It doesn't really confirm right co-ords, just if others have checked the same co-ords. Or if some says they found the cache at those co-ords. If the owner enters the real co-ords, it will tell you if they agree with yours.

You could have 10 people solve the puzzle the same wrong way as you, but until someone lists a find at those co-ords it won't confirm them, just that others agree with you.

Edit to add this copy of output:

2 users have attempted to verify coordinates for this cache

0 of them entered coordinates that agree with yours

0 users say they have found this cache

0 users claim to be the owner of this cache

Edited by The Jester

When the verifier was written, it was thought that there would not be a need to include an Opt-Out function, since it never prints coordintes. It will not say what coordinates others have entered, just that they are the same or differ from what you entered.

From the comments I've gotten here (and via email), it appears we were wrong. It will take me a few days to get it done since I'm pretty busy at work this week, but I will add a feature in the next couple days to allow cache owners to tell the program to ignore their cache.

When the verifier was written, it was thought that there would not be a need to include an Opt-Out function, since it never prints coordintes. It will not say what coordinates others have entered, just that they are the same or differ from what you entered.

From the comments I've gotten here (and via email), it appears we were wrong. It will take me a few days to get it done since I'm pretty busy at work this week, but I will add a feature in the next couple days to allow cache owners to tell the program to ignore their cache.

I would suggest making it an opt-in feature. Not all cache owners visit the WSGA website and even if they do they may not be members.