Mama's Back

AuntieWeasel

Someone recently asked the question "what's the longest a TB has been missing and then appeared again?" I looked for the thread and didn't find it (man, I'm terrible at the search function on this site), so I don't know if this one is a candidate, but one on my watchlist has just popped up two days short of two years from her last log.

When I was but a humble noob, I hit a cache that was supposed to contain the seasoned traveler Mama Gus. She wasn't there, and as it was the first time I encountered this sad phenomenon, I optimistically put her on my watchlist. I almost took her off a few times, but hey...it wasn't costing me anything, was it?

She pops up a few days ago in a cache maybe a dozen miles from her last log. She was grabbed by a cacher who hasn't been caching as long as she's been missing, so he hasn't been holding her. Well, who cares where she's been. She's back now.

This gave me such a case of the warm fuzzies, I thought I'd share...

Take a look at The Leprechauns' Rabid Hamster, which started its travels at the very beginning of the hamstercaching craze. First he was held hostage for 17 months by a local cacher who did not like one of my more difficult caches. Diplomatic negotiations with one of his friends resulted in a successful hostage release. But after a short time back in the wild, my hamster was picked up by a newbie in early August and he hadn't gone back out geocaching since then. Recently I wrote a nice, friendly letter and I was pleased to receive a friendly and apologetic reply. He recently dropped it off in a nearby cache.

Proof that a diplomatic approach works, rather than a threatening approach, when your TB has been held for too long.

I had this one go missing for just over a year. It was eventually found jammed in the heater mechanism of a car, but here's the odd part: the person who owned the car was not a geocacher, but the guy who fixed the car (and found the bug) was! Lucky for me. Car owner had no idea what it was or how it got there (see finder's log in November, 2005).

I had this one go missing for just over a year. It was eventually found jammed in the heater mechanism of a car, but here's the odd part: the person who owned the car was not a geocacher, but the guy who fixed the car (and found the bug) was! Lucky for me. Car owner had no idea what it was or how it got there (see finder's log in November, 2005).

I just read that log, that is quite the story, how weird! :(

I'd bet money it was tossed on the dash and slipped down the vent. Then the car was sold to the non-cacher who needed to fix the heater. Still quite an interesting story.

Someone recently asked the question "what's the longest a TB has been missing and then appeared again?" I looked for the thread and didn't find it (man, I'm terrible at the search function on this site), so I don't know if this one is a candidate, but one on my watchlist has just popped up two days short of two years from her last log.

When I was but a humble noob, I hit a cache that was supposed to contain the seasoned traveler Mama Gus. She wasn't there, and as it was the first time I encountered this sad phenomenon, I optimistically put her on my watchlist. I almost took her off a few times, but hey...it wasn't costing me anything, was it?

She pops up a few days ago in a cache maybe a dozen miles from her last log. She was grabbed by a cacher who hasn't been caching as long as she's been missing, so he hasn't been holding her. Well, who cares where she's been. She's back now.

This gave me such a case of the warm fuzzies, I thought I'd share...

:mad: Check out this travel bug TB52B it was lost for several years and as it was told "This travel bug has resurfaced (literally), and can be resurrected from the travelbug graveyard. See (visit link)

~erik"

Just to let you know erik ok's the caches for Groundspeak.