Geocaching, Recommended By Doctors

JMBIndy

I just had to share this with ya'll.

As I sat in the exam room today, reading the Complete Idiot's guide, my doctor walked in. Before I could say a word, he saw the book and started telling me all the benefits of geocaching.

"You'll use technology, you'll get outside, you'll get exercise, you'll get fresh air and best of all, you'll lower your blood sugar!"

My reply? "Yeah, Doc, I know. I started this week and I'll be sticking with it." To be honest, I was surprised he even knew what it was.

As he left the room he yelled back, "Go forth and geocache!" Should I consider that to be a prescription?

And yes, I did. Found a cache on the way home.... :P

Gee, I'd sure like to get that prescription in writing for me! That way my woman couldn't stop me from going out caching as much as she does. It'd be doctor's orders. Hey, would that mean that I could get a new GPS and other equipment with just my $10 prescription copay??

:P

As a doctor who specializes in physical medicine & rehabilitation, I have recommended geocaching to many of my patients and have even gotten a few interested. Im going to campaign to the insurance companies to write off the expense of the GPSr as a deductable ;) On the serious note...just as any physical type of activity, make sure you have medical clearance for any strenuous activity. I remember the first time out caching with another local cacher and had to hike up a 45 degree incline..I thought i was going to have to perform CPR by the time he got the the top ;)

Edited by docdesi

Would all the swag we go through be able to be deducted from our income tax, as it would be for "medical" expenses?

OOOo I like your thinking!!! ;):P

Talked with my accountant today, she said even with a doctors note I would probably loose if I was audited. Hard to explain a medical deduction that big with reciepts from dollar stores and wallmart. ;)

I too was encouraged by my doctor to geocache more often at my last checkup. ;)

I had to ask him for a note to prove it to my wife though, she thought I was making it all up. ;)

His reasoning was if there is already something in my life that gets me some exercise than more of it is better. It's also easier to do more of something you already love doing than to start something new that may not be as enjoyable.

On the serious note...just as any physical type of activity, make sure you have medical clearance for any strenuous activity. I remember the first time out caching with another local cacher and had to hike up a 45 degree incline..I thought i was going to have to perform CPR by the time he got the the top :P

Oh yes, I keep a close eye on how the terrain is rated. He's been wanting me to get out and do something for years, but I'm not a day-time person. Now I have a reason to get out during the day. :P Hoping for good weather tomorrow... there are three caches with my name on them!