Pretty Much Useless Update!

Didjerrydo

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

Improve compatibility with nRoute PC application.

Add compass hold level indicator.

Improve elevation level display to show maximum values.

Increase loadable maps to 2025.

Improve anchor drag alarm tone so that it stays on until the user clears it with the appropriate key press.

Improve stability of unit when user has selected a customized color scheme and is viewing tide station information.

Improve the autozoom feature when viewing an active autoroute on the Map page. When momentarily going to the Turn Preview page and then returning to the Map page, the autozoom distance is maintained instead of defaulting to the manual zoom distance.

Improve review of address and intersection on Map page to have full text instead of just first street.

Enhance visibility of paths in map Topo Great Britain v2.

[color=#FF6666]This does not address a single item that has been asked for and discussed as serious issues over & over here on the forum. Are these guys smoking CRACK!!![/color]

I found the update to be fairly useful.

It fixed the problem with 512mb or larger cards by allowing more map segments.

It fixed the problem with the tide stations make the unit shut down when you clicked on them.

I have not tried nRoute yet but it sounds like it has fixed that problem.

Fixed the wierd autozoom problem (very annoying) where it would not hold the zoom level you were on if you paged to a different screen.

it is all in how you look at it i guess, so they didn't add a stupid alarm clock, get over it already.

kgag.

I also thought that it was fairly useful (for my 76Cx). I would much rather get several "smaller" fixes than to wait an extended period of time to get "THE" fix which address every possible known issue.

Clearly some things will be easier to fix than others, so let's get those out of the way and enjoy those, while Garmin works on the bigger, more difficult issues. And from the sounds of it, some of the "issues" may not ever get fixed. By the looks of things, we may not get back the alarm clock.

I, personally, am impressed (and thankful) that they released this firmware update as quickly as they did.

I found the update to be fairly useful.

It fixed the problem with 512mb or larger cards by allowing more map segments.

It fixed the problem with the tide stations make the unit shut down when you clicked on them.

I have not tried nRoute yet but it sounds like it has fixed that problem.

Fixed the wierd autozoom problem (very annoying) where it would not hold the zoom level you were on if you paged to a different screen.

it is all in how you look at it i guess, so they didn't add a stupid alarm clock, get over it already.

kgag.

Well, the alarm clock is minor. I'd liked to see them fix the "wandering" issue, pressure plotting with unit off, no icon or item for memory card, no lithium battery choice in menu, no improvement to stopwatch functions etc!

Edited by Didjerrydo

By "wandering" mode, you mean where it says you are going 0.1 mph while the compass is spinning in different directions?

I found on my Legend-C, the culprit is when you put it in Demo Mode and the only way I could stop it was a total cold reset.

They need to fix that.

By "wandering" mode, you mean where it says you are going 0.1 mph while the compass is spinning in different directions?

I found on my Legend-C, the culprit is when you put it in Demo Mode and the only way I could stop it was a total cold reset.

They need to fix that.

It's the fact that your position moves about erratically as seen in the map page when you're zoomed into the 20' or 30' screens even though the GPS unit remains perfectly stationary!

Edited by Didjerrydo

Hum! I don't see that as a problem at all. As a matter of fact ,I would expect that kind of movement. I'm not an expert, and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but if the satellite geometry is constantly changing and my GPS receiver is continually calculating it's closest guess as to where it thinks I might be, than I would expect to see the cursor moving. The same thing can be seen when you look at a track overlayed on a map of a road. the track can move from one side to the other. As long as the movement is within the stated accuracy I don't see the problem.

For what it's worth, I've seen the various comments on wandering, but personally haven't seen anything that I haven't seen previously on my Vista and 60CS; in fact, in side by side tests of the the 60CSx and 60CS, the variations seen on the 60CS are typically twice those on the 60CSx.

I am more likely to get the wandering effect if I don't hold the GPS near vertical, and I am more likely to get the WANDERING, if I hold the GPS flat. Even with the better receiver in the 60Cx, I think it is a good idea to hold it near vertical to receive better quality signals, since the antenna does perform better when held vertically. If you hold it horizontally, then the receiver would amplify the lower quality signals. The wandering is caused by amplifying lower quality signals, like when in my house the GPS can rack up a lot of distance by wandering.

I got the GPS in it's cradle sitting in the house, and being held vertically, seemed to stop the wandering quite a bit.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I am more likely to get the wandering effect if I don't hold the GPS near vertical, and I am more likely to get the WANDERING, if I hold the GPS flat. Even with the better receiver in the 60Cx, I think it is a good idea to hold it near vertical to receive better quality signals, since the antenna does perform better when held vertically. If you hold it horizontally, then the receiver would amplify the lower quality signals. The wandering is caused by amplifying lower quality signals, like when in my house the GPS can rack up a lot of distance by wandering.

I got the GPS in it's cradle sitting in the house, and being held vertically, seemed to stop the wandering quite a bit.

I have to agree with GOT_GPS. I've been using my 60CX with my GA25MCX external antenna on top of my Trimble "antenna pocket" cap, and even in forest (leaf off currently) conditions, zoomed in to the 20' scale on the map screen, I see very little wandering at all. In fact it has been negligible.