Dropped Antlers.

Hey Guys, My wife and I were caching out at a pretty remote spot in the Spokane Wa area last Sunday. I've been telling her to look for deer antlers since the freeze is off you might see some. Would you believe it, no sooner than we get down to the shore I see one laying on a rock like like someone set it there and found the other about 10m away. Nice 4 pts on each. I've found one before but never a pair. Gotta get a lotto ticket.

Hey Guys, My wife and I were caching out at a pretty remote spot in the Spokane Wa area last Sunday. I've been telling her to look for deer antlers since the freeze is off you might see some. Would you believe it, no sooner than we get down to the shore I see one laying on a rock like like someone set it there and found the other about 10m away. Nice 4 pts on each. I've found one before but never a pair. Gotta get a lotto ticket.

I found a four point over the summer... couldn't find the other one though. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm going to be making my own hiking staff one of these days and was thinking about using part of it for a handle or otherwise incorporating it into my hiking staff.

You can make buttons from them, and the tips make nice toggles for coats.

Ever wonder why you don't find them more often? I live in an area with lots of deer. You cannot walk any trail without seeing deer tracks, but finding the antlers is a rarity. Someone told me recently that other animals eat them for the calcium.

I found a four point over the summer... couldn't find the other one though. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm going to be making my own hiking staff one of these days and was thinking about using part of it for a handle or otherwise incorporating it into my hiking staff.

Get a hard hat and glue the antlers to it. You can scare the hell out of kids at Halloween with it. :blink:

Some Vietnamese I know always want me to give them the antlers of the dear I shoot. He says your grind them up and mix into tea. I believe his words were "make young man feel like new", with the ladies if you know what i mean. Says it's an aphrodisiac. You might want to give that a try.

:P

Tips on how to find dropped antlers, or "sheds".

Look for the deer trails, If you follow the trail, keep your eye peeled for what are known as rubs. Rubs are exactly as they sound. It is a small tree usually no more than 3-7 inches in diameter and straight, and the bark will have been rubbed off about 2-4 feet off the ground. that will tell you the trai is used by a buck. The misconception is, the bigger the tree the bigger the buck, actually it is showing to be the number of trees. Big bucks rub more trees, not bigger.

If the rubs are near acorn trees even better, you now have two things bucks like. start looking for those and any bushes near there as they will shake their heads in them to try and knock off the antlers.

Thew largest set I have ever found was a set of a 12 pointer. I had been finding his sheds in my area for the past few years. I know they came from the same deer because he comes in behind my house for the past 4 years. I did not see him this year though. He was an old guy and I think he probably was hunted. I'm hoping he wasn't killed by a car, as that is a bad way for deer to go. I had thought of getting him myself, but thought it was cool how he came every year.