Newbie Garmin Question

MasqueradeUK

I think the only mapsource products that can't be run on several machines are the ones that need 'unlocking' codes as they use a code based on the unit serial number(I may get corrected here).

I don't think theres anything in the user licence bit that says you can'y use it on other gps's you own,it may say something about putting it other peoples machines but that is a matter of personal consience(take more than that to keep me awake at night though;).

Edit: Forgot to say welcome to the madhouse!

Edited by Nellies Knackers

Hello,

I've already got a streetpilot 2610, and Mapsource Europe v7.

If I bought an eTrex Vista Cx would I be able to use the same Mapsource software with both GPS units?

Also, my partner needs another GPS in her car, could I use 3 units with one Mapsource?

(Looking at the Nuvi 350)

TIA

It depends on what mapping you actually have. Is it metro guide or city select? if its metro guide I think it can run on multiple devices ok. If it city select I believe you may need unlocking codes. From memory, you are allowed to use the software on 1 additional unit. An unlock code can be obtained from mapsource unlock. I am not sure if you already need to have a customer code and the original 8 digit voucher from your software. :blink:

Be warned: the Vista range of GPSs do not have routing capabilites. The unit cannot calculate point to point routes on roads. The maps from streetpilots will also not work on Garmin devices that have routing other than other streetpilots.

I know this as I have a street pilot c320 which came with city select v7. I bought a gpsmpa60c as a secondry device, as it shoould work with the software. It does not, the route calculation data is different. The maps will be visible, but other units will not be able to calculate routes. :blink:

Hope this helped, and not confused you further!

Edited by Geo-Kate

City Navigator Europe v7 is what it says on the case.

(I paid foir the upgrade from v6)

Although second-hand, I did manage to get registered with Garmin with the streetpilot 2610.

So if I've got spend more money on seperate mapping for a handheld device, what else would you suggest for my baptism into Geocaching?????

I quite liked the look of the Etrex Vista Cx

What mapping software would I need to buy on top of the unit?

(assuming I want to keep to "official" Garmin software)

Is there a unit I could "overlay" ordnance survey maps?

That would be my preferred display

There is no reason that City Navigator V7 would not work on a VistaCx. However, I haven't heard of it being done. Other Streetpilots use a different type of mapping (NT) and this is NOT compatible.

Right now, I suggest that you wait for a few weeks. A new version of Garmin's mapping (CNEurV8) has just been introduced (Link) so you may want to get this as an upgrade, first. After getting it, you would still be entitled to an additional (free) unlock on a second unit.

You can't "overlay" OS maps on a Garmin mapped display. (And the result would look very strange.) There are certain PDAs which can run EITHER routable mapping or OS-based maps - not at the same time - but it all starts to get very complicated (and expensive) at that point.

-Wlw

City Navigator Europe v7 is what it says on the case.

(I paid foir the upgrade from v6)

Although second-hand, I did manage to get registered with Garmin with the streetpilot 2610.

So if I've got spend more money on seperate mapping for a handheld device, what else would you suggest for my baptism into Geocaching?????

I think you will need to regester the handheld with garmin, and i think it will let you use the software on the divice. Well, only as far as you will see the map on the screen. But I want you to be aware that the unit will not be able to calculte on road routes.

Its worth giving them a call on 0870 8501242 and getting the pre sales advice.

The closest you can get to OS style mapping on the garmin handhelds is Topo GB. It says it is made with OS and has their logo on it, but it doesn't compare! Unfortunately, you cannot buy 3rd party maps to install.

Topo GB costs £150 (!!!!!) and is very similar to other mapsource products. The big difference is the maps show contour lines and have a greater 'resolution' of geographical reatures such as wood and rivers and lakes. Footpaths also show, but are no where near as good as those shown on real OS maps!

You can dowload a file that allows you to see contour lines on a mapping device. It works like a transparent layer with the lines laid over the installed maps. They can be installed and removed seperately from your unit. Follow the link from the sticky thread at the top of the page entitled 'Which GPS'.

If you really want to see OS maps, I believe a windows powered PDA can run maps like Memory Map and the PDA can be linked to a GPSr. Some even come with GPS built in!

I hope i haven't confused you further still!

OK, yes CN will load into Vista CX. Still looking for the code issue.

There is no issue. See the Cartography FAQ on Garmin's own website.

-Wlw

The issue I'm checking is whether or not you are givin two unlock codes. That FAQ didn't say.

edit:

Getting closer.

Q. What if I own more than one Garmin unit compatible with a specific locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product?

A. You may unlock up to two units with one coupon code. If you own two Garmin GPS units, you are allowed to obtain a second unlock code for the same region at no additional charge in most cases. The exception to this is with Garmin GPS units that come pre-loaded with maps and without MapSource CD-ROMs (such as the StreetPilot 2620 or StreetPilot C330). WITH THESE UNITS, THE SECOND UNIT UNLOCK OPTION IS NOT AVAILABLE. Additionally, not all units will understand MapSource NT.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Unlock codes or no unlock codes..seems to load OK on every tracker Ive had (yellow,Legend,Legend C):blink: ...I dont even know what the unlock codes are!.I still get the Garmin Updates what ever tracker is on my PC..be it Fred Bloggs or me...dont know if this help,or whether i really know what i am talking about! :blink:

I can provide the definitive answer to the OP as we own a SP 2610 and a Vista C and use the software with both.

City Navigator 7 WILL download data that will run in the Vista C providing that the second "unlock" with the programme has not been used. This will enable the Vista to provide full autorouting.

Before the SP2610, we had an SP3 and loaded the then current CN6 into both units. We sold the SP3 along with the original discs, advising the buyer that we had used the second unlock with our Vista. Surprisingly, Garmin advised us to keep a copy of the CN6 discs to use with the Vista. Once the software is unlocked to the internal electronic serial number of one of Garmin's GPS units, it cannot be changed. Once you've used the 2 unlocks, you've had it until you purchase the next upgrade to CN... and I've kept hardcopies of Garmin's emailed advice too!

The Vista Cx will be a better bet because of its extended memory capacity - there is some debate about the future size of the map "tiles" in CN8 because of the 24 MB limit of the earlier units that cannot accept a memory card.

Unlock codes or no unlock codes..seems to load OK on every tracker Ive had (yellow,Legend,Legend C):P ...I dont even know what the unlock codes are!.I still get the Garmin Updates what ever tracker is on my PC..be it Fred Bloggs or me...dont know if this help,or whether i really know what i am talking about! :P

Garmin only lock their software that provides autorouting data. This is usually the City Select or City Navigator programmes. The rest of their Mapsource data programmes are unprotected and do not require "unlocks".

The Vista C was advertised as providing autorouting, it even said so on the box - but it will only do this if you have the right software. As standalone products CS and CN are v. expensive and usually unobtainable. Europeans can buy CS/CN USA in Europe and the Yanks can get CS/CN Europe in the States. Garmin's marketing policy - go figure!

If you already own a Garmin unit that came with CS or CN software, you can use the second unlock provided with the software to enable you to use it with a second Garmin unit.

We did this and use the CN that came with our SP2610 with our Vista C. We now have full autorouting on the handlebar of our pushbikes - super!

Edited by Sue and Bernie

Hello,

I've already got a streetpilot 2610, and Mapsource Europe v7.

If I bought an eTrex Vista Cx would I be able to use the same Mapsource software with both GPS units?

Also, my partner needs another GPS in her car, could I use 3 units with one Mapsource?

(Looking at the Nuvi 350)

TIA

...Reading your posts more closely I note that you say you have "City Navigator". You can use this with two Garmin units providing the second unlock has not been used.

Edited by Sue and Bernie

Thanks everyone for your very thorough replies.

Where would be the best place to buy a Vista Cx?

I'm passing through Gatwick airport soon, would Dixons Duty-Free have one?

I'm sorry that I missunderstood the specs of the handheld, I was under the impression none of the Etrex models had autorouting capabilities.

The supplier I use for my equimpment is www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Duty free Dixons may do them, depends if they carry the stock though. It might be woth while getting their number and checking or ordering one if the price is right.

Best of luck to you

I bought from Aspidshop in Portugal. I cannot post the link at present, their server must be down. Google for them later, you won't be disappointed.

They're in Europe so you get the proper European models, they collect tax (@21% - ouch!) so there's no more tax or duty to pay and their low prices still make them the cheapest supplier. Many of us have bought from them over recent years and they are regularly recommended.

Delivery is ridiculously fast - the Fedex (whatever) delivery man was banging on my door at crack-of-sparrows the following day!