Airport Cache..

team lagonda

I would think an airport is nothing like a county park. Your only supposed to be there for airport business. Someone carrying a GPS and looking around for something anywhere at an airport will eventually draw attention. Also, the guidelines probably would prohibit it getting approved.

Besides getting an easy smiley that means nothing, why would anyone want to go to an airport parking lot to cache? :blink:

Think location...

Parking lots are normally run through another company not affiliated with the airport other than they pay some pretty good rent. Long & short of the situation is that the airport more than likely owns the property and then leases the space. Airports can be a really fun place but getting a cache approved that is on airport property will take some really fancy talking and even then I doubt it would get listed. Best thing to do is to find a spot close to the airport but not on airport property for your hide. In my local area there are several that are hidden fairly close to the airport.

I am the cache reviewer who would be looking at this cache if you submitted it. You will have an uphill battle. As a starting point you would need to submit written proof of permission from the airport management (an e-mail or a scanned PDF file of a permission letter). If you get past that, I'd have a number of other questions depending on the precise location. Given the flat-out prohibition of caches at airports in the "off limits" section of the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines document, I do not feel that I have a lot of discretion here.

I would think an airport is nothing like a county park. Your only supposed to be there for airport business. Someone carrying a GPS and looking around for something anywhere at an airport will eventually draw attention. Also, the guidelines probably would prohibit it getting approved.

Besides getting an easy smiley that means nothing, why would anyone want to go to an airport parking lot to cache? :blink:

Think location...

I wouldn't want to cache at an airport parking lot, but I have found a few caches nearby local airports (within a mile or so). I think it'd be a great place for a TB Hotel.

Think location...

I wouldn't want to cache at an airport parking lot, but I have found a few caches nearby local airports (within a mile or so). I think it'd be a great place for a TB Hotel.

Our local airport just got an old A-4 Skyraider that is going to be pedestal mounted in the future. Now if they mount that out near the airport entrance off Airport Road . . . which is well away from the terminal, etc. . . . Somewhere around the pedestal of that old fighter might be an interesting place for a micro. Being on good speaking terms with the airport manager might even help too! :blink:

JohnTee

Think location...

Our local airport just got an old A-4 Skyraider that is going to be pedestal mounted in the future. Now if they mount that out near the airport entrance off Airport Road . . . which is well away from the terminal, etc. . . . Somewhere around the pedestal of that old fighter might be an interesting place for a micro. Being on good speaking terms with the airport manager might even help too! :blink:

JohnTee

I just did a multi cache which started at the Alexandria Airport in Alexandria, LA. As you turn toward the airport there are 5 aircraft mounted on pedastals. You have to find the right one with the GPS and then get information off of the plane to fill out the coords for the second location.

It was a lot of fun, and the aircraft there are some of my favorites (A-10 being the best). Had a few folks drive by and look at me as I walked back and forth between jets but looking down at my GPSr.

I talked to the manager of our local county airport today an he was fine with it..when i explained about a tb hotel an that pilots would be great for moving them around he seemed very interested .. we settled over the phone on a location off the road up to the parking lot..i told him id take him with me to show him where it was so he could see for himself..all an all he seemed pleased with the idea an im sure from the way he talked that he will be in the hobby soon....now if there is some law against this,i guess discussion is pointless..does seem a shame though as the manager is all for it an permission isnt a issue....oh, an SALVELINUS,,im not merly hunting for a smiley face,,i was obviously thinking of a hotel ,being a airpot an all,,you must not of deduced that....

Edited by team lagonda