Newbie Help

sparkysteve

I went out geocaching for the first time yesterday. I usually use my GPS for hunting and fishing, but it's Winter and I'm bored so I thought I'd give it a try. It was a multi-stage cache. I tried it because it was the closest to home. I went to the first waypoint, looked around, and found nothing. What clues do I look for in a multi-stage because the cache isn't until last? I would have kept looking, but my wife was too cold :smile: I have a Garmin etrex Legend with the US and Canada MapSource topo maps. Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks.

Multi stage caches often use micros for the middle stages, so you might be looking for a film canister, waterproof match case or something else real small. Micros are often magnetic, so if you are at GZ check for anything metal. You may need to feel with your hands. If its in the woods, look in knot holes in trees.

Give us the waypoint and we'll take a peek at the webpage; we might see something you overlooked. Those middle stages are also called intermediate waypoints; not all can be picked up. The coords may be taped to the bottom of a bar, sign, guardrail, etc... , or the coords may actually be written with a marker on some man-made object. Or, the intermediate coords could be virtual, in that you have to add x to a # nearby, like the # on a mileage post, or trailhead marker, etc...

just a thought but from looking at the cache log seems like someone hit that sight up a day before you did

maybe he/she can help you im a new guy to this game too

after looking at some of the sights the cache can be like a needle in a haystack

if your still at a loss and cant find it on your own send an email to one of the others that found that cache and break you in next thing you know you'll be spotting caches with your eyes closed

There are a couple of multi's in our area that have the first stage on the back or side of a stop sign, about 6 feet off the ground. The clear sticker is a bar code with the numbers underneath being the coords for the next stage. The first one was very tricky, looked like it should be there. I looked at it several times before I realized it was stage 1.

The second also had a barcode and coords, but also a code for a combination lock that was keeping the cache safe. If you forgot to write the combination down, you had to go back to stage 1 before you could open the cache. Very clever also. Now that I know what I'm looking for, those are easier. Some cache hiders can make thier hides look very official. Good luck!