Which Website Is Best For Purchasing A Gps Unit ?

General  Urko

www.chumbo.com has the 60csx for $409.99 with free overnight fedex shipping.

This is so much less expensive than the other sites that it raises concerns.

Anyone have positive or negative feedback for chumbo?

What the heck! I just got my 60csx last week from chumbo. it was $427 with free overnight fedex. Must be they dropped the price $18 bucks. Oh well.

Everything went good with getting mine. Came overnight via Fedex and the unit is factory new. Even went out and got my first Geocache yesterday, and took it snowmobiling all day today. Nice unit.

www.chumbo.com has the 60csx for $409.99 with free overnight fedex shipping.

This is so much less expensive than the other sites that it raises concerns.

Anyone have positive or negative feedback for chumbo?

What the heck! I just got my 60csx last week from chumbo. it was $427 with free overnight fedex. Must be they dropped the price $18 bucks. Oh well.

Everything went good with getting mine. Came overnight via Fedex and the unit is factory new. Even went out and got my first Geocache yesterday, and took it snowmobiling all day today. Nice unit.

what all was included with the deal from chumbo? There site is not specific to what is contained in the package.

Just received my 60CSx from GPSDiscount yesterday. Good quick service, everything arrived in good order, no complaints at all. So they are now on my recommended list.

It appears that unit has a steep but short learning curve. Seemed a bit overwhelming last night (I tend to actually read the owner's manual) but not so bad today. Overall, the unit is very impressive and powerful. Haven't had a chance to play with the City Select software yet - plan to do that tonight.

Just received my 60CSx from GPSDiscount yesterday. Good quick service, everything arrived in good order, no complaints at all. So they are now on my recommended list.

It appears that unit has a steep but short learning curve. Seemed a bit overwhelming last night (I tend to actually read the owner's manual) but not so bad today. Overall, the unit is very impressive and powerful. Haven't had a chance to play with the City Select software yet - plan to do that tonight.

Well, I just ordered a 60cx from Chumbo.com at $392 which included FedEx Overnight shipping.

I searched through www.shopzilla.com. It gave me a list of sellers and each store had reviews from buyers. I bought a Magellan Explorist XL with next day delivery and a 128 SD card for $385.00. I ordered the unit on a Tuesday at 8 am and it was in my hands the next day by 11 am. From New York to California in 27 hours. I paid an extra $45 but it was worth it. You can buy a single unit or a bundle package.

I searched through www.shopzilla.com. It gave me a list of sellers and each store had reviews from buyers. I bought a Magellan Explorist XL with next day delivery and a 128 SD card for $385.00. I ordered the unit on a Tuesday at 8 am and it was in my hands the next day by 11 am. From New York to California in 27 hours. I paid an extra $45 but it was worth it. You can buy a single unit or a bundle package.

See, now not to beat an old horse - but this is what I meant (in a previous post) by people selling used units for more than one can get them BRAND SPANKIN' NEW -

just darn unethical IMHO - - :laughing:

To follow-up on planewood's point, the primary reason I bought from GPSDiscount.com was for their deal that bundles in the Auto Navigation kit. That package seemed to be the best overall price I could find. DrBugs did the same. However, if you are looking to buy just the handheld unit (and not a package deal), then there are definitely other websites that are cheaper (such as Chumbo, as planewood has stated).

To follow-up on planewood's point, the primary reason I bought from GPSDiscount.com was for their deal that bundles in the Auto Navigation kit. That package seemed to be the best overall price I could find. DrBugs did the same. However, if you are looking to buy just the handheld unit (and not a package deal), then there are definitely other websites that are cheaper (such as Chumbo, as planewood has stated).

Ditto. The autorouting was a key requirement (and one reason I chose garmin over magellan). A lesser concern was them being an authorized dealer, since I didn't want to worry about warrenty stuff (which may actually be moot. From what I've read on previous posts is that garmin has honored warrenties from ebay sellers, and other lesser known shops). The way my luck sometimes goes I would be the first one they would hit...

;->

Here is were two of the shops on my list: The Twister Group which has the 60cx for $369. Good reviews according to froogle too. Here is another one I looked at that has the 60cx for $362. Again good reviews, but I can't speak to either.

Hokiebird, hows your device going? I've found 4 caches so far, and actually used the autorouting to bypass an accident on my normal route home. It rocks!

There is no one answer to this question. I researched pretty much every website out there that sells GPS Units and found that some are better at offering good prices for one make and others are better for others. I used GPSDiscount.com for my Garmin GPSMap 60CSX I got it for $500 for the unit and a bunch of extras including charger and TOPO software which would have cost me another $100+ on there own. Wouldn't have been a good price had I not needed the extras but seeing as I did need the software it made the unit much cheaper than anywhere else at that time.

Well I have been hunting around for a good price on either the Magellan Explorist XL or the Garmin GPSMAP60Cx and the two places that have the best prices so far are Chumbo.com and Compuplus.com

I got those recommendations from this forum after lookinge everywhere else and their prices are the lowest - I'm not concerned too much about whether or not either are an authorized dealer, either of the units are built solid and the selling sites are good about taking back product that doesn't function or is defective - the compuplus.com site even offers a 3yr extended warranty on their units for $17.95

Ordered my new GPS 60CSx from GPSDiscount on Monday with overnight shipping. It arrived this morning at 9:16am. :laughing: I got the Topo package for $509.95 with Topo US, Neoprene case, and 4 NiCad batteries with charger... there was also a Tee Shirt in with the order.

All looks new and good and is working great. Accurate to +/- 10ft in my front yard.

Edited by jaym

I have been reading this website for a couple of weeks and bought my first GPS on Saturday based on the research I did here. I went with GPSDiscount because of price and trust level. I got the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX with the Auto Kit for $539. At first, I didn't think I would need the dash mounting kit but the first thing I did when I got in my SUV was attach my GPS to the bean bag mount. I'm loving it! I also got the US Topo and Neoprene Case for a total of $630.14. I then added the Micro SD 512 Transflash for $61.28.

I had everything in my hands by Thursday morning using their Fed Ex standard shipping. Everything is brand new as if buying from a store and I am pleased! The only disappointment is it will not talk to my Mac laptop. I'll either get a serial adapter or just wait for Garmin to make their software Mac compatable. I do have a PC I can use in the meantime but it doesn't have internet for unlocking software and obtaining updates.

Since I was getting the City Select and Topo software anyway this seemed the best price offered. I saw the Chumbo website but wasn't comfortable. Just me.

Photo - glad to hear everything went well with your purchase. I've had a similar experience with my 60CSx from them. The unit is really fantastic and is growing on me each day as I learn more features. It's a very powerful device. I was toying with getting the Explorist 600 but am glad I went with this one.

Garmin seems slow to adopt the Mac, but hope springs eternal ....

DrBugs - thanks for the tip to update MapSource immediately - I did that right away. Did you update the firmware yet (I have not)?

Photo - glad to hear everything went well with your purchase. I've had a similar experience with my 60CSx from them. The unit is really fantastic and is growing on me each day as I learn more features. It's a very powerful device. I was toying with getting the Explorist 600 but am glad I went with this one.

Garmin seems slow to adopt the Mac, but hope springs eternal ....

DrBugs - thanks for the tip to update MapSource immediately - I did that right away. Did you update the firmware yet (I have not)?

Yah, I updated it immediantly. Very easy to do. I did it from my laptop, just to be safe (batteries, in case of a power glitch). Over paranoid...

;->

Garmin is supposed to be releasing another fw patch for the sirf chip series that will address at a minimum the WAAS issues. I emailed support, got a reply that it is a known issue, and is to be addressed in a patch soon (I was told a couple of weeks).

So, having fun with your unit yet?

Just bought a Lowrance Expedition from tigergps.com. Got it with the lowrance "plus" back (comes with mapping software) for $323. Their prices were excellent. Free shipping for it too (free if over $250 I think). Also saw good prices at gpsplanet.com

Edited by Jeeters

Don't buy from "China" guys is my advise

In december i did so with a 296 for a beutiful price but the package never arrived.

They have lots of names, Sometimes item location in Ireland, Europe but most in China

You see them everywere in the popular segment

They build up a trackrecord with small things not related to gps or expensive things.

What you see is a very good seller and you take the gamble.

Ebay security is only interested in their own interest such as paying by paypal

They don't remove those pirates.

Yes they warn you not to pay by Western Union afterwards.

It is hard to prove in advance that they are what they are!!!

And offcourse admitting that your busines is invaded by pirates is bad for busines for Ebay.

Edited by dusee

Of course, I spotted the scam immediately, it is so obvious ! It is why I put these smileys .

Now, I am suprised people get caught and buy from these jerks !

Price is too low, date they registered, positive feedback from new buyers all in a short time and no buyer with a track record, location, payement method.

Some US based vendors seem decent but I noticed that a few buyer ends up paynig more (with the shipping cost ) than what they could get from US mail shop.

My problem is that these US mail order cy do not send to Europe or do not use USPS. I prefer USPS because most of the time it gets through without having to pay custom duties. With Fedex or UPS, you pay the taxes, duties etc... which are enormous in France (aka North Korea of Europe)

It is a fact that eBay business is based on confidence and they try not to make too much fuss about it but if they don't tackle these abuses, it will hurt them.

So, any eBay seller for Garmin GPS you would recommend ?

I'm looking to buy a 60Cx on Chumbo. I could access the site last night from home, but I'm having problems here from work today. Can someone else try to CLICK HERE and let me know if you get through or not? I'd appreciate it.

Looks like they are having web server problems.

Edited by jaym

Looks like they are having web server problems.

After looking at your profile I decided you might get a more specific problem description :rolleyes: So I quickly firing up Ethereal shows the following:

Me: SYN

chumbo.com: SYN/ACK

Me: ACK

Me: HTTP GET

Me: Retranismit of previous HTTP GET packet

chumbo.com: RST

:unsure:

BTW, I work in Dulles, VA myself.

Edited by jaym

Okay, I'm gonna say that Chumbo is a Top-Notch company to deal with! Their Web site was not down for very long yesterday. When I got through to order my 60Cx, and finalized the check-out - you know the part where it's the last button to click before the system completes your order...? In that moment, I had a spontaneous involuntary muscle spasm that made me click the button twice! As a result, I got a message telling me that my cart was empty - the first click must've gone through I guess, but there was no indication of it. I pressed the back button and didn't see anything to indicate that the order went through. I checked my email and saw no order confirmation as yet, so I cursed my luck and started over from scratch. The second order went through, I got confirmation, got an email and everything was great.

Later in the day, I checked my email again and saw TWO different order confirmations from Chumbo.com :( - And I had selected overnight shipping! I read the email which told me to hit reply if I needed customer service assistance. I quickly shot off a reply requesting to cancel one of the orders and then I quickly called their 800 number just to be thorough about it. I did have to go through a few phone menu hoops to get through, and I did have to wait on hold for a while - that was definitely expected as it was around lunchtime on the east coast. I think I waited for about 10 minutes or so and then I got a live voice. I explained the situation and requested to cancel one of the orders, and the lady told me it had already been canceled! I thanked her very much and went on about my business.

I checked my email again later in the day and got a cancellation email and a shipping confirmation for the other one I wanted.

I have to say that being the low-ball price on the Internet, I expected a customer service nightmare to ensue over this situation! But they have low prices AND great customer service as well! They were totally on the ball from start to finish.

I anxiously await delivery of my new toy and I feel very confident that I'll only be getting one. I'll be sure to edit this if anything about my experience changes.

Last week I finally decided to take the plunge an got a legend C. I orginally had ordered from Amazon but even tho it said it ships within 24hours. A day later it updated to say it wasnt shipping for a week. I went ahead and canceled it.

I remembered GPSnow being the next cheapest so I went to their site an saw shipping today if ordered by 5pm CST. Well it was 4:30 an I wanted the GPS by Fri so I went ahead and placed the order an recieved it Fri afternoon.

So thumbs up for GPSnow.com

Recently purchased a Garmin Legend Cx.

I purchased the unit from Provantage (provantage.com) in the US, who have DHL shipping options Internationally. The level of customer service was great, much better than with any Aussie online retailer I've delt with. :D

The unit was $240 + $38 US for shipping, which is a great price! Significantly cheaper than buying an Australian unit. Infact you can't get a Cx here yet - an Australian Legend C unit (not an 'x' model) retails for $320 US locally!

The unit arrived in only 3 days, and I was surprised not to be pinged local tax and import duty. Very Happy with the purchase! :D

I also picked up a version of Mapsource WorldMap from eBay (boxed original but used) for hardly anything, as the basemap was the US version.

I was surprised that the default US basemap also includes a low-res map of the whole world - without roads of course. I then fired up MapSource and uploaded Australasia to the unit. Unfortunately, the WorldMap detail is next to useless. I wasn't too upset, after all I had only purchased an old cheap version of WorldMap. The routing capability on the basemap is hopeless aswell, why bother? If I'm travelling 800km, I'm well aware of what direction and freeway to take.

In a nutshell, WorldMap is useless and Garmin should give this away for free.

Anyway - this little experiment has proved (to me atleast) that buying a unit locally just for the basemap is of little use, apart of course from supporting your local GPS store. But I've been doing that for awhile now :)

I'm also looking at purchasing off shore as the price of GPS Handhelds here in Australia is rediculous compared to prices being offered in USA (even taking into account our low excange rate of around AUS$1.00 = USA$0.73 at the moment). My only reservation in buying this way is with the warranty / need to return for repairs. Is there a local set-up here in Australia with the manufacturer (Garmin in my case) which looks after that sort of thing or does the Unit have to be returned to the Vendor in USA if there is a problem that needs fixing ? I'm looking at purchasing a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx - this will be my first experience with GPS.