Which Website Is Best For Purchasing A Gps Unit ?

General  Urko

I hope I am posting this in the appropriate forum...

I could use some information on which website is the best for purchasing my first GPS unit.

I have visited sites like "GPS Now" and "Mega GPS" etc. Are there others that are better ?

-Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific site ?

-I am trying to buy a GPS unit "bundled" with some accessories for a low price {of course}

-I am thinking of buying the Garmin Etrex Legend C or Legend CX.

-The primary uses for my GPS unit will be Geo-caching / fishing / traveling etc.

Thank You In Advance

GU

If you buy a Garmin, make sure you buy it from a Garmin authorized dealer. If you don't, they likely will not honor your guarentee. Garmin doesn't have authorized dealers on Ebay. Shop wisely.

Excellent point! That goes for a lot of other electronics as well. Most companies will not support anything that's not from an authorized dealer. Try to get HP to look at anything that's not that way.

To the OP, I have had lots of success with GPSCity both US and Canada. In Canada, there is also GPSCentral which has been even better (though both have been great) and they do ship to the US.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

I ordered a 60cx sunday night from gpsdiscount.com, and had the shipping number (free fedex saver) by around noon monday.

The price for a 60cx is the same as anyone else (ie about $449), but if you buy a package deal it is a really good deal. I got the autonav kit for $488. The Auto Kit, contains the following: Bean bag mount, dash mount, cigarette adapter, North America City Select DVD v 7.0 w/full unlock code.

60cx Deals on GPSDiscount.com

I figure for 39 bucks over the list of the gpsunit, I got the maps and mount. not bad. It's on it's way, so I'm hoping tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses folks. You've pointed me in the right direction. I think Geo-caching will be a hobby myself and my two young Sons will enjoy.

GU

This forum has been an awesome help for myself. My two kids (5 and 3.5) are very excited about doing a treasure hunt. Good family outing type of stuff.

DrBugs - Did you get your unit yet??

Nope. I'm bumming. It's in a fedex building that is on my drive, but they don't allow pickups until first attempted delivary. I have to wait until tomorrow. Major buzzwrecker!

I figure that today I'll be productive to make up for my sudden dip in productivity tomorrow. Fortunatly I sit next to a window, so I'm hoping that is adequite for the unit to find itself.

DrBugs - Did you get your unit yet??

Nope. I'm bumming. It's in a fedex building that is on my drive, but they don't allow pickups until first attempted delivary. I have to wait until tomorrow. Major buzzwrecker!

I figure that today I'll be productive to make up for my sudden dip in productivity tomorrow. Fortunatly I sit next to a window, so I'm hoping that is adequite for the unit to find itself.

Man, it went bad to worse. Apparently it got routed to the south metro distribution center, and I'm in the north metro. It just arrived in the north metro distribution center, about 3 miles from where I am now.

I'm gonna stop by, see if I can convince them to let me pick it up. IOW, I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow morning. I hate waiting....

I could use some information on which website is the best for purchasing my first GPS unit.

I have visited sites like "GPS Now" and "Mega GPS" etc. Are there others that are better ?

-I am trying to buy a GPS unit "bundled" with some accessories for a low price {of course}

-The primary uses for my GPS unit will be Geo-caching / fishing / traveling etc.

Thank You In Advance

GU

Walmart.com every thing you need and much cheeper than others!

hmmmm, compared to GPScity and Amazon they are the same price. GPScity however is offering next day delivery. (But I am surprised Walmart was close in price, I wonder if they are outsourcing to another retailer)

DrBugs - Please be sure to post when you receive your unit. I'm thinking of purchasing some items from them.

Got it! I stopped by the fedex facility on my way home, and the allowed me to get it. They had pity on a poor geek!

I have nothing but good things to say about gpsdiscount.com. Great price on the package (I got the autonav kit), and they tossed in a nice t-shirt too. Free 2-3 day shipping is nice too. My total cost was about 490.

So far I'm very hooked on this unit. Autorouting is turning into an addiction!

Let me know if you buy through these guys.

Good luck!

Randy

It pays to shop around. The deal you got on the 60CX from gpsdiscount.com is smoking. They beat getfeetwet.com on that deal.

However, on a Garmin 2610 refurbished......

getfeetwet.com - $449.99 plus shipping (2-year warranty)

gpsdiscount.com - $492.45 (includes ground shipping....1 year warranty)

Bottom line....shop around.....

Edited by Guitar4Him

It pays to shop around. The deal you got on the 60CX from gpsdiscount.com is smoking. They beat getfeetwet.com on that deal.

However, on a Garmin 2610 refurbished......

getfeetwet.com - $449.99 plus shipping (2-year warranty)

gpsdiscount.com - $492.45 (includes ground shipping....1 year warranty)

Bottom line....shop around.....

Excellant point. It all depends on what you are looking for. Nice deal on the 2610, and nice gpsr

I bought my map60cs from http://www.caplinktech.com/ . They seemed to be consistently lower in price than any one else and shipped for free the same day. A friend of minee bought the same unit for $345 two months ago and was happy.

I am looking to buy the Garmin 60CX but I am living in Europe. The prices here is simply horrendous, twice the cost in the US ! I would accept to pay a bit more say 1 Euro for 1 Buck as for other stuff like digital camera and the like but for this GPS its twice the US cost.

I know the basemap are different but I don't care as anyway the level of details requires you to get Ciy Navigator or at least MetroGuide.

My concern is about warranty and future service, does Garmin offers an international warranty and service.

Also, some vendors sell on Ebay at competitive price but where do they get these GPS and how can they offer them at such a price ?

Grey market some say, yes but how ? Stolen goods, goods "lost" at the factory ?

How do we recognize a "grey" market product if they claim it is in factory sealed box ?

Are the serial numbers logged at Garmin so they know the product is "grey" one ?

On the 60CX is there a special tag bearing the serial number and where is it located ? (I know all these have the SN burned in the harware too)

Thanks

DrBugs -

I went with the 60CSx deal from GPSDiscount. Should arrive early next week. How is the learning curve thus far? Any out-of-the-box advice?

Awesome! Post when you get it. I think you'll be happy with it.

I REALLY like the cx. Very easy to use too. I've loaded 30 map segments (CS7) of Minneapolis, duluth, northeast wisconsin, south western Il, and quite a bit of San Francisco (I'm going to a conference in may) and it takes 45mb. Mapsource is easy to use.

One hint is to update mapsource, since the one on CD doens't recognize .loc/.gpx files. 6.9 does. Update by selecting help->update.

This device is really amazing. The autorouting is surprisingly (to me at least) good. I've tweeked it to Best quality for route generation, and it is still fast. I've only used it on routes that I use (work), and it's been good. A bit different since it doesn't know about traffic, but good. I ignore the turns and it recalcs without me doing anything.

One thing I wish it did would be explorist style folders/files for grouping waypoints. I'm gonna look into the POILoader util to maybe manage this.

I'll post more after I've had time to use it a bit more. Nice unit.

I am looking to buy the Garmin 60CX but I am living in Europe.

Not sure which country you are in but you might want to pose this question in one of the European forums, like the UK. They are going to be more people there who have had to deal with the same issue.

Good Luck!

Lake Powell Marine--Phil is the guy--great service and quick shipping--

I just bought my 60CSx from these guys, and I have to agree - super fast shipping and good service. I've used gpsnow.com in the past and also had zero complaints with them, but Lake Powell Marine had the best deal I could find on the 60CSx ($499, free overnight shipping, shipped same day, and a $60 gift certificate to a number of stores; better yet, Phil substituted a credit card refund for the gift certificate).

I am looking to buy the Garmin 60CX but I am living in Europe.

Not sure which country you are in but you might want to pose this question in one of the European forums, like the UK. They are going to be more people there who have had to deal with the same issue.

Good Luck!

I am living in the North Korea of Europe, that is France ! :P

I have seen US cutomer, in fact the majority, buying these GPS from eBay vendors, so I was hoping to get some feedback about the warranty they were getting.

Recently purchased a Garmin Legend Cx.

I purchased the unit from Provantage (provantage.com) in the US, who have DHL shipping options Internationally. The level of customer service was great, much better than with any Aussie online retailer I've delt with. :huh:

The unit was $240 + $38 US for shipping, which is a great price! Significantly cheaper than buying an Australian unit. Infact you can't get a Cx here yet - an Australian Legend C unit (not an 'x' model) retails for $320 US locally!

The unit arrived in only 3 days, and I was surprised not to be pinged local tax and import duty. Very Happy with the purchase! :D

I also picked up a version of Mapsource WorldMap from eBay (boxed original but used) for hardly anything, as the basemap was the US version.

I was surprised that the default US basemap also includes a low-res map of the whole world - without roads of course. I then fired up MapSource and uploaded Australasia to the unit. Unfortunately, the WorldMap detail is next to useless. I wasn't too upset, after all I had only purchased an old cheap version of WorldMap. The routing capability on the basemap is hopeless aswell, why bother? If I'm travelling 800km, I'm well aware of what direction and freeway to take.

In a nutshell, WorldMap is useless and Garmin should give this away for free.

Anyway - this little experiment has proved (to me atleast) that buying a unit locally just for the basemap is of little use, apart of course from supporting your local GPS store. But I've been doing that for awhile now :D

Thank You In Advance

GU

I have found the best prices on ShipDog.com -

But a fellow member pointed me to a shop in Ill. (I think that;ll match or beat a web price.

No Tax, No Shipping - got my 60c for 309.00!!!! :huh:

The unit arrived in only 3 days, and I was surprised not to be pinged local tax and import duty. Very Happy with the purchase! :laughing:

Australia's import policy changed late last year so that you can now import $A1000 without paying taxes or duty :D Best thing they ever did.