Internet Explorer 7

Having been happy firefox users for some time now, we recently came across the trial version of IE7 and couldn't resist the temptation to try it.

Apart from many attractive features (stolen from firefox?!) it seems so very quick! Might this be the answer to the Geocaching.com blues every sunday evening...we'll have to wait and see!

Just wondered if anyone else had tried it yet, and if so what they think. It would be interesting to see if it's worth the switch from someone who knows about this kind of thing.

Doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm (is there ever) if you do a google search and select groups.

Headlines suggested it's got a few bugs to fix yet.

Doesn't surprise me they are taking a lead from Firefox though, too many users to completely ignore.

Gonna keep an eye on it though, thanks for the heads up.

an initial trial suggests that it is fast.

However:

1. I could not stop it adding microsoft.com back in as a home page, no matter how many times I deleted it from the home page listing.

2. There is no feature that I found to get it to save settings so it started up with the same pages as it shut down.

3. It is not possible to drag and drop the tabs to a desired position (unlike FireFox).

There are other irritations that mean that I will not try it againuntil the final comes out.

However:

1. I could not stop it adding microsoft.com back in as a home page, no matter how many times I deleted it from the home page listing.

2. There is no feature that I found to get it to save settings so it started up with the same pages as it shut down.

3. It is not possible to drag and drop the tabs to a desired position (unlike FireFox).

There are other irritations that mean that I will not try it againuntil the final comes out.

But if the bugs are fixed would you use IE7? I've only ever used IE, having tried but not really liked Opera. However, if Firefox is some sort of prototype for IE7 then I might be tempted to give that a go instead of the MS product - anything to get away from the biggest global brand.

However:

But if the bugs are fixed would you use IE7? I've only ever used IE, having tried but not really liked Opera. However, if Firefox is some sort of prototype for IE7 then I might be tempted to give that a go instead of the MS product - anything to get away from the biggest global brand.

I think FireFox enthusiasts might bridle at the thought the it is a 'prototype' for IE7, unless you mean that Microsoft has tried to copy everything good about FireFox. Firefox is an Open Source production, along the lines of other products such as FileZilla, and even Linux.

I would use IE7 if it proved better than Firefox, as I don't have a built-in anti-Microsoft response. I have tried IE6 and do not think it is as good as Firefox. IE7 might be much closer but only time will tell.

I think FireFox enthusiasts might bridle at the thought the it is a 'prototype' for IE7, unless you mean that Microsoft has tried to copy everything good about FireFox.

That is what I meant, yeah. I'm not a great follower of Tech stuff, but I still see Microsoft as improvers and developers rather than inventors, so it would be in character to use Firefox as a model for their new browser.

I'm one of said enthusiasts - give it a go, in my non techy opinion it does everything that IE6 does, but in return you get to have tabbed page viewing, it's faster (apparently) and you can use greasemonkey which courtesy of some fab people here does cool things to cache pages, the profile page and the forum.

Apart from many attractive features (stolen from firefox?!) it seems so very quick! Might this be the answer to the Geocaching.com blues every sunday evening...we'll have to wait and see!

Umm... no. It won't make an iota of difference. The slowness is at the server end, and the pages served up are - to several decimal places - identical whatever the browser you're using.

Major problem,

I am having a problem upgrading my McAfee virus scan product. I went to the McAfee site and found this on the support side.

Microsoft has released the Beta 2 Preview of the Internet Explorer 7 browser. Unfortunately, at this time our products will not work with IE7 Beta 2 Preview. Microsoft will not be patching IE7 until the Public Beta is announced. McAfee plans to support the release candidate when it is available. Please contact Microsoft for more information regarding Internet Explorer release dates. Please complete the following steps to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 to allow your McAfee products to work correctly again:

Major problem,

I am having a problem upgrading my McAfee virus scan product. I went to the McAfee site and found this on the support side.

Microsoft has released the Beta 2 Preview of the Internet Explorer 7 browser. Unfortunately, at this time our products will not work with IE7 Beta 2 Preview. Microsoft will not be patching IE7 until the Public Beta is announced. McAfee plans to support the release candidate when it is available. Please contact Microsoft for more information regarding Internet Explorer release dates. Please complete the following steps to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 to allow your McAfee products to work correctly again:

I was wondering why McAfee was trying to update for so long with no success! Thanks for letting me know the reason why!

After a few days trial, we're definitely sticking with firefox for several reasons, including the above, but most of all for the user scripts, especially the OS 1:25000 link in the cache pages - we use that a lot! ;)

Slimbrowser!!!

I went via IE6 then firefox then settled on slimbrowser

It's a new front end for IE6 (+ tabs and rss, etc.)

When IE7 is safe for online banking I'll compare IE7 to Slimbrowser 4.06

Slimbrowser is at http://www.flashpeak.com if interested and inclined to test browsers. Or wait for IE7 if you don't fiddle with software unless you have to :unsure: