White Post Quandry!

Can anyone help me with a query please?

Dotted around the countryside near us (Epsom, Surrey) there are a series of bright white metal posts. Each one is rectangular about 3 feet tall with a sloping top. they have a St George's cross painted on a white shield near the top and below that a series of numbers and then 'CAP 42' on a seperate line.

There are 2 or 3 on the downs and at least one on Ashtead Common that I know off. They're all well looked after because they all look like they were painted in the last few months.

any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks!

These sound like marker posts for underground pipelines. They are usually very visible so that they can be seen from a helicopter. From memory all UK pipelines are flown by helicopter weekly to inspect for adjacent building works or for die back in the vegitation which may indicate that a leak is developing.

However I do not recognise the cross nor the text CAP 42. It is some years since I was involved in the pipeline industry though.

Ken