I Need A Gps That Shows Me Hddd Mm Ss.sss

ICHTHYS

Please pardon me, but I have to ask:

Are you sure you aren't needing hddd.m.mmm?

There is no consumer model that does 3 decimal places for seconds.

I am working with a 911 mapping program that shows the gps location where the mouse is pointed at. It displays it as hddd mm ss.sss.

I didn't know if this was something my Legend just didn't support due to lack of space for the number of digits needed or what.

The company that orignally mapped our county probably used Trimble or like technology to do so. We were then going to go out and update the 600 or so new addresses using a Legend and taking a waypoint at the driveway.

The originall company wanted $25000 to come out and map the 600 new address addeded since they first did the county.

We want to do it ourselves to save the money.

Thanks for the help.

[i am working with a 911 mapping program that shows the gps location where the mouse is pointed at. It displays it as hddd mm ss.sss. ... The company that orignally mapped our county probably used Trimble or like technology to do so. We were then going to go out and update the 600 or so new addresses using a Legend and taking a waypoint at the driveway.

Just get the reading from your Legend and enter two 0's for the final "ss".

As Sputnik indicated, that last 's' digit amounts to only a 3 cm change in latitude and somewhat less than that distance in longitude. So the added precision provided by specifying things to a thousandth of a second of arc is totally meaningless when you're just identifying the coordinates of an address.

The Legend and other consumer GPS receivers don't provide that many digits because the accuracy provided by consumer-level receivers isn't that high, nor does it need to be for the type of application you're describing.

I am working with a 911 mapping program that shows the gps location where the mouse is pointed at. It displays it as hddd mm ss.sss.

I didn't know if this was something my Legend just didn't support due to lack of space for the number of digits needed or what.

The company that orignally mapped our county probably used Trimble or like technology to do so. We were then going to go out and update the 600 or so new addresses using a Legend and taking a waypoint at the driveway.

The originall company wanted $25000 to come out and map the 600 new address addeded since they first did the county.

Thanks for the help.

Check with your county engineering or public works department. If they don't have one they may have a mapping program that can give you the info that you need. If you have any more questions regarding the 2 solutions above PM or email me and I can probably help, or point you in the right direction. I am heavily involved in 911 as our county dispatch supervisor.

Edited by hikergps

Thanks for the help.

For that kind of money you can buy a handheld Trimbel and hopefully get that kind of accuracy. Also you don't need that kind of accuracy for your purpose. But what you can do is enter the extra 0.0SS as zero's.

Also I can do that for you for 15,000 and still make money.