Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
chstress53

National Registry Of Historical Landmarks

21 posts in this topic

I propose a new category of National Historical Landmarks.

this site is just the ones in the New Jersey registry as an example

http://tps.cr.nps.gov/nhl/result.cfm

the variables could be what state, city, & type (Building, district, site)

I vote yes to this one. Would be a great companion to the state Historic Markers.

I surprise this one isn't up a running yet. It would be great.

Bump ....

I have a few places just waiting for this one to be approved ...

Come on people.. vote yes!! :D

Let's bring out the Brass Band and get this Idea up and running !!

GREAT IDEA !! Glad you brought this one up ... can't wait to get going on this !!!!!

THANKS!

GeoGordie .. Greensboro, NC

This one would be a great candiate for group management and I would be happy to volunteer to help on it.

Yes, this is a great category.

We just need to figure out how to get the category approved....

Have you considered starting a group? I'd be happy to join....

what is the difference in this and the national register of historic places? that category is starting to form....

what is the difference in this and the national register of historic places? that category is starting to form....

National Historic Landmarks are much more restrictive than National Register of Historic Places. Land marks are listed here There are less than 2500 locations that are landmarks.

The National Register of Historic Places include all Landmarks plus other locations deemed historic. There are currently nearly 80,000 places on the registry. The site for the registry is here

National Historic Landmarks are much more restrictive than National Register of Historic Places. Land marks are listed here There are less than 2500 locations that are landmarks.

The National Register of Historic Places include all Landmarks plus other locations deemed historic. There are currently nearly 80,000 places on the registry. The site for the registry is here

ok thanks....i guess each category should have a link to the appropriate source.

are many places on both lists?

ok thanks....i guess each category should have a link to the appropriate source.

are many places on both lists?

All Historic Landmarks are on the Historic Places list. So a about 2500 are on both lists :-)

Edited by BruceS

When creating the category I would make it super clear what the difference is between the two lists (places and landmarks). I think this was up for a vote awhile back and I voted against it because it seemed like the same thing. If I had known better, I would have voted yes.

I definitely support the category, now that I know that they are two different things.

When creating the category I would make it super clear what the difference is between the two lists (places and landmarks). I think this was up for a vote awhile back and I voted against it because it seemed like the same thing. If I had known better, I would have voted yes.

I definitely support the category, now that I know that they are two different things.

Actually all Landmarks are also Places by definition. But not all Places are Landmarks. The qualifications for the landmark designation are much more stringent than for the National Register of Historic Places. Qualifying for the National Historic Landmarks designation automatically lists the site on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2