National Registry Of Historical Landmarks

what is the difference in this and the national register of historic places? that category is starting to form....

National Historic Landmarks are much more restrictive than National Register of Historic Places. Land marks are listed here There are less than 2500 locations that are landmarks.

The National Register of Historic Places include all Landmarks plus other locations deemed historic. There are currently nearly 80,000 places on the registry. The site for the registry is here

National Historic Landmarks are much more restrictive than National Register of Historic Places. Land marks are listed here There are less than 2500 locations that are landmarks.

The National Register of Historic Places include all Landmarks plus other locations deemed historic. There are currently nearly 80,000 places on the registry. The site for the registry is here

ok thanks....i guess each category should have a link to the appropriate source.

are many places on both lists?

ok thanks....i guess each category should have a link to the appropriate source.

are many places on both lists?

All Historic Landmarks are on the Historic Places list. So a about 2500 are on both lists :-)

Edited by BruceS

When creating the category I would make it super clear what the difference is between the two lists (places and landmarks). I think this was up for a vote awhile back and I voted against it because it seemed like the same thing. If I had known better, I would have voted yes.

I definitely support the category, now that I know that they are two different things.

When creating the category I would make it super clear what the difference is between the two lists (places and landmarks). I think this was up for a vote awhile back and I voted against it because it seemed like the same thing. If I had known better, I would have voted yes.

I definitely support the category, now that I know that they are two different things.

Actually all Landmarks are also Places by definition. But not all Places are Landmarks. The qualifications for the landmark designation are much more stringent than for the National Register of Historic Places. Qualifying for the National Historic Landmarks designation automatically lists the site on the National Register of Historic Places.