How To Make Bolts Look Old

two left feet

Watched an episode of the TV show Myth Busters on supposed ways to destroy an engine (sugar, drano, etc) The only thing they did with much effect was to put laundry bleach in the gas tank. Turns out that bleach is an excellent oxidizer and turned most of the tank to rust. So I took a new bolt that I was planning to make into a hollow bolt cache and put the head into a small bowl of bleach over night. Instant old bolt! It is rusted and has almost no plating left on it at all. I figured a shinny brand new bolt would be way too obvious.

I guess TV is good for something after all.

Muriatic acid works also, but bleach is cheaper.

and safer.

Actually I did two at the same time. One in battery acid and the other in bleach. The acid ate all the plating and turned the bolt black but did not have the corrosion or rust that the bleach developed.

Here is a question along the same lines: How about brass tubing?? How do you get it to tarnish? I tried bleach and acid and neither had much effect even after an over-night soaking. This is really odd. When I was in the Marine Corps I could not get my brass to stay shinny for an entire day, now I can't get it to tarnish. Go figure!

Hey, two left feet, is your avatar is reversed - looks like the bottom of two RIGHT feet! :smile:

It is a bit ambiguous. Do you put feet as viewed from the bottom OR as the imprint they leave in the sand?? One of life's more serious dilemmas.

For some of the other posts:

Have not tried Coke yet, figured battery acid would be stronger than Coke, lemon or tomato.

Sulphur fumes would be OK if my wife doesn't get on to me about the smell from the shop. :-)

I have used heat also, but some of my parts have been soldered. So maybe torch them first??

I also tried sanding the brass without any change in the results.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Edited by two left feet
Muriatic acid works also, but bleach is cheaper.

and safer.

Actually I did two at the same time. One in battery acid and the other in bleach. The acid ate all the plating and turned the bolt black but did not have the corrosion or rust that the bleach developed.

Here is a question along the same lines: How about brass tubing?? How do you get it to tarnish? I tried bleach and acid and neither had much effect even after an over-night soaking. This is really odd. When I was in the Marine Corps I could not get my brass to stay shinny for an entire day, now I can't get it to tarnish. Go figure!

If you are using copper tubing that is intended for cooling apps, like refrigerators, it should have a lead coating. Try boiling it in a water/vinegar mixture for a few. After that, it is easy to tarnish. My only experience with the stuff comes from brewing beer so it was important to remove the lead but far less important that it shine. This did the trick.