Isle Of Man Geocoins

Happy Humphrey

...at the Geocoin Store (I'm sure you know where that is).

On-Grass-Med.jpg

The first run was only 100, and they went very quickly, with lots of very positive feedback. I decided that a second run was in order, and upgraded the new ones to have a unique icon as well (otherwise they are just the same as the originals). There are only 450 available from the store, so don't delay! :anicute:

Photo and more details about the coin are here.

The page also gives some links to Isle of Man information, for those who aren't familiar with this particular little country.

HH

Very nice coin. I would like to trade or buy one if you are not doing trades.

What does the back look like and what is the price?

I am too lazy to go over to the store to look.

...what the Gal from Atlanta said :) . But I'll repeat that there is more information here;

Isle of Man Geocoin info page

I may have some to swap once sales have fizzled out, but I don't have any at the moment. I'm hanging on to half a dozen of the originals, but that's all I have.

HH

...at the Geocoin Store (I'm sure you know where that is).

The first run was only 100, and they went very quickly, with lots of very positive feedback. I decided that a second run was in order, and upgraded the new ones to have a unique icon as well (otherwise they are just the same as the originals). There are only 450 available from the store, so don't delay! :)

HH

Can you get the first minting to get the new icon as well?

Can you get the first minting to get the new icon as well?

Sorry, that doesn't seem to be possible now they're all out. These coins do have sequence numbers, however, and the first minting has the desirable first 100 numbers!

It's gotta be dang frustrating living on an island without women!

You think I'd stay here if that were the case?! :D

It's Isle of MAN, and "I'm the man"... :):D

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey
Will these new ones be a different color?

Sorry you feel let down, although I never promised that there would be only 100 ever made. The main reason I didn't make more at the time was that I would have expected to handle orders and despatch myself, which would have taken up all my spare time.

You do have the advantage of a low sequence number though, and you actually have a coin right now! The only difference with the new minting is the icon (as mentioned above).

HH

I made a very expensive trade to get one of these, thinking that they were limited to 100. Making 450 more makes them very common. Will these new ones be a different color?

Gotta do your homework. I almost made the same mistake as you. But luckily a little bird tipped me off to HH's website before I agreed to any trades.

I think this is an absolutely beautiful coin, but having some heritage in the Isle of Man, I really think the logo side should have the three leg pinwheel icon that most often symbolizes the Isle of Man. I know nothing can be done about it now, but if anyone wanted to set out and make a new Isle of Man coin with the three leg pinhweel icon and maybe something a little more creative on the back, I assure you I'd buy a ton! If anyone is interested in doing so and wants someone to do a little research, or find images of the logo to use, let me know!

Thanks,

Brian

You mentioned that the first release of your coin has a different icon than the second release of your coin. I see the icon on the geocoinstore. Is this icon for the second release (the 450 available on 3/7)? Where can I find a picture of the icon for the first run?

Thanks...

the logo side should have the three leg pinwheel icon that most often symbolizes the Isle of Man

The front side is based on the "three legs", but I didn't want too literal an interpretation as it can look a bit obvious and boring. Plus I wanted to bring in some of the Archibald Knox influence. I take your point about the reverse side, though. If I commission a new Isle of Man coin I might do that type of thing, but I'll have to see how this edition sells - if it works out, it will help finance a new version.

Is this icon for the second release (the 450 available on 3/7)? Where can I find a picture of the icon for the first run?

The first run was very limited and no icon was possible, so it just has the generic "personal geocoin" icon. So the icon is only for the second release.

The icon is based on the Isle of Man flag, with the red background and three legs (Quocunque Jeceris Stabit - whichever way you throw it, it will stand). It is thought that this design was developed from Viking triskele symbols on coins of the tenth century (minted by the Norse King, Anlaf Cuaran, whose dominion included Dublin and the Isle of Man).

Hope that helps.

HH

The first run was very limited and no icon was possible, so it just has the generic "personal geocoin" icon. So the icon is only for the second release.

Just now seeing this....wow, that's disappointing. So, the 'bonus' for being in the limited first run is no icon? And are the second run more expensive since they get an icon, or did those of us in the first run pay the same for less (no icon)? So....not a limited run, standard back, no icon....$9 (if I remember correctly). Ah well, at least they showed up pretty quickly, not like some from here in the states.