Sa Geocoin

The Huskies

Hey QFC, I firstly want to state that you do an excellent job for the geocaching community in SA :ph34r: . I am also a bit dissapointed :o that the SA coins are not trackable on the geocaching.com website. I think that it would have been really cool to have an SA coin logo on our trackables. How can we launch a set of coins that would be tacked on the .com website? What does it take,because I'm really keen to see it happen.

Hey QFC, I firstly want to state that you do an excellent job for the geocaching community in SA :D . I am also a bit dissapointed :huh: that the SA coins are not trackable on the geocaching.com website. I think that it would have been really cool to have an SA coin logo on our trackables. How can we launch a set of coins that would be tacked on the .com website? What does it take,because I'm really keen to see it happen.

You can get your own geocoin minted at one of the companies that does it in the US. Non-Trackable coins turn out to be in the region of R50. If you want to make them trackable, there's a fee payable to Groundspeak, which makes the coin considerably more expensive. Geocacher_coza will have the details as he went through the exercise last year.

I've considered minting my own limited edition trackable... but eiiiiiisssshhhhh...... $$$$$

From Forum, copied below

As of today, we have revised Groundspeak's geocoin policy slightly. Due to popular demand, we will now allow Personal Geocoins to be represented with a unique icon on geocaching.com in the same manner as organization, association and other approved commercial coins.

In the interest of further clarifying our policy, here is some more information regarding Groundspeak’s Geocoin tracking policy and requirements for creating trackable coins.

Groundspeak Geocoin Policy

As of 12-16-05

Design Considerations:

1. The final design of each geocoin must be approved by Groundspeak prior to production. Designs must be family friendly and may not include modified versions of the geocaching.com logo.

2. Use of the geocaching.com logo is not required. However, if you wish to use the geocaching.com logo, the “geocaching.com” URL must be included beneath the logo and the ‘circle r’ trademark symbol must appear as part of the logo.

3. All trackable coins must bear the text, “"Trackable on Geocaching.com" or “Track on Geocaching.com”

4. All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

Custom Coin Code Prefixes:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations or commercial coin groups.

2. Format for coins can contain a prefix (like CA_________) and then be followed by a random combination of 4 letters & numbers (we'll generate the numbers, you specify the prefix if you'd like one). So, a typical coin number example would be: CA62h8 or CA124j.

3. For personal Geocoins (for teams & individual geocachers), the prefix will be PC, as in PC______.

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and, now, Personal Coins.

2. The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your coins is a one time fee of $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

Cost and Details:

1. The cost per tracking number is US$1.50 and can be paid via paypal or credit card.

2. There is a 1,000 number minimum purchase required for Organizations and a 500 number minimum purchase required for Personal Geocoins. (Note that some of the coin manufacturers listed below have purchased blocks of numbers for resale in smaller quantities). These numbers may be split between coins but each individual coin design must be approved prior to production.

3. Codes with corresponding activation codes will be emailed in an excel file

4. It generally takes 1-2 weeks to process the coin tracking number order.

5. The following coin manufacturers are familiar with our geocoin policies and can assist you with other details. If you contact them, they can provide you with pricing and art samples.

www.coinsandpins.com

www.coinsforanything.com

www.personalgeocoins.com

www.oakcoins.com

www.thecachingplace.com

www.geocoinstore.com

www.htqualitycoins.com/

Selling Trackable Geocoins:

If you wish to sell your Trackable Geocoins for profit or otherwise, you may do so. However, non-trackable coins bearing the geocaching.com logo may not be sold without written permission from Groundspeak.

To Get Started:

1. Please send your coin design to (bryan at Groundspeak.com) for review.

2. Please let us know if this is a personal geocoin or if it will be for a geocaching organization, association or commercial coin group.

3. Please let us know which coin manufacturer you have chosen to produce your coins.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

End quote

Edited by GlobalRat

I think that GlobalRat said it all. All the same, ZAlandyman & Susieq it is our pleasure and has almost been more fun for us that for SA cachers.

Let us know if there is anything more that you want out of GC.za.net…

We recently did our personal geocoin, trackable with icon, and learnt a lot in the process. It does not have to cost much at all (nett cost). It's all a game of numbers, and a combination between the minimum trackable batch of 250 coins, how saleable the coin is, how many you sell, at what price, and how many you keep for yourself. We've kept about 70 out of 250 for ourselves, and our nett cost was about R25/coin. This is far from the optimum - if we knew then what we know now, we could have had 70 coins for our own use without it costing anything (or very little). Anybody wanting more info is welcome to contact us by e-mail, and we'll share detailed numbers, and the tricks that we've learnt along the way. What would work very well is several cachers sharing the same design for one side of the coin (could be a generic SA design) and personalising the other side - which saves cost with dies, and several cachers can share the minimum 250 quantity.

Does the new geocachingranking site allow this. Ive just retrieved a SA geocoin today and Im not sure how to log it.

:blink: Leave has been booked for December :rolleyes: , when I hope to find plenty of PTA caches and implement this functionality. <_< It was not mission critical at the time of the re-write and we still need to think how to do this well. :unsure: Will keep you posted on GeocachingRanking.com and via the forums.