World War I Memorials Or Monuments

I would vote YES for this proposal, but as long as it wasn't limited to some USA state. There are memorials here in Australia I would like to log.

Good idea Roamineye, it was an obvious category missing.

Thanks! :ph34r:

I noted waymarks for US Civil War memorials and for specific individuals, and thought it odd that there wasn't a WWI waymark category.

I wonder tho, if it should be organized a little differently than it is now. For instance, maybe 'War Memorials' could have subcategories of different wars or different geographical regions. Does that make any sense?

BTW - I know there are LOTS of war memorials all over the globe, so it should be of interest to lots of people.

start the group...send me an invite...

Thanks for the interest in the idea!

It could maybe be organized like this:

War Memorials or Monuments

I. World War I

II. World War II

III. Regional Wars

IV.

Those first categories could each have subcategories, such as:

A. Europe

B. Asia

C. North America

D. Australia

E.

F.

The subcategories could also be subdivided, if needed. For example, under North America there could be categories for:

1. Revolutionary War

2. Spanish-American War

3. Civil War

4. Korean War

I used North America as an example simply because I live here and am most familiar with its history.

As people add monuments or memorials to all the categories and subs, the category tree would grow and be fleshed out on its own. Notice I have listed the Korean War under the North American category; it would also be listed under other categories, such as Asia, etc.

Please post what you all think about this category idea!

I was thinking ideas had to be posed to the forums and okayed by Groundspeak before the new group could be started. Will check out for sure and keep at it, and let ya know!

I just posted some ideas about war memorial categories. Originally, I got the idea because I couldn't find a place to add a waymark for a World War I memorial, but I forgot to add to that post that I wondered if the whole 'war memorial/monument' topic should go together in one spot (as I attempted to suggest above).

Don't know if it's even possible to reorganize waymarks if they've already been put up and people have visited them...

I agree the war memorials should be organized together but each war's memorials should be managed by separate groups much like Historical Markers are organized together but managed by separate groups.

Exactly!

This is an important principle to remember.

The decision is, however, where do you make the break between category and variable?

To illustrate:

WW II Memorials -- is this one category, managed by one group, with "country" being a variable (e.g. France, Germany, U.S., etc) or do you have each as a separate category with a corresponding mangagment group (e.g. WW II Memorials in France, WW II Memorials in Italy, etc.)?

There has to be a way to deal with this, as we already face this with a group being formed for the category of "Churches." Possibly this could be one large category with variables. But, there are already existing categories that would fit under that larger heading. Again, there has to be some way for someone to make a decision as to where to put the branches in the tree. We can have large categories with lots of variables, or losts of small categories, but organized in the structure in a logical way. Somewhere in the middle there is a good balance.

How does this happen?

Guys - It seems pretty simple. You need to form a Group - "20th Century War Memorials" or "Memorials to 20th Century Wars" to get started. Then propose the WWI category. Or United States WWI category. Once it's approved, you move to WWII, then Korea. But you have to start with a group. Someone should get this active ASAP while there's all this interest. With Group Approval, you can only get one category approved at a time anyway.

Let the Groundspeak gurus figure out whether War Memorials should become a new "super-category" at a later date. Don't get lost in the details. Get the group going and get categories approved!

I agree the war memorials should be organized together but each war's memorials should be managed by separate groups much like Historical Markers are organized together but managed by separate groups.

Exactly!

This is an important principle to remember.

The decision is, however, where do you make the break between category and variable?

To illustrate:

WW II Memorials -- is this one category, managed by one group, with "country" being a variable (e.g. France, Germany, U.S., etc) or do you have each as a separate category with a corresponding mangagment group (e.g. WW II Memorials in France, WW II Memorials in Italy, etc.)?

There has to be a way to deal with this, as we already face this with a group being formed for the category of "Churches." Possibly this could be one large category with variables. But, there are already existing categories that would fit under that larger heading. Again, there has to be some way for someone to make a decision as to where to put the branches in the tree. We can have large categories with lots of variables, or losts of small categories, but organized in the structure in a logical way. Somewhere in the middle there is a good balance.

How does this happen?

Edited by showbizkid

Hello -

I found your topic World War One memorials while searching the web for information about World War One Army Units.

My Great Uncle, Pvt. Roy Waugh, was a soldier in WWI. He joined the Army in July, 1918 and arrived in France in September, 1918. He was a combatant in the Battle for the Argonne Forest. He returned to our home town, Gallipolis, Ohio and was mustered out in early 1919. He died at the age of 50 due to complications from lung damage due to inhaling gas at the front.

Likely, you are aware of the softcover book published by Miss Rose E.B. Coombs entitled 'Before Endeavours Fade - A guide to the Battlefields of the First World War'. Miss Coombs is (was?) considered to be THE expert on the Great War and particularly, the memorials that were erected by various countries after the war. She worked at the Imperial War Museum, London starting in 1946 and during her travels documented most every WWI memorial ranging from small plaques on the side of churches to large memorials such as the one erected by Canada to commemorate Vimy Ridge. One interesting aspect of the Vimy Ridge memorial is that shell craters and portions of the original trench line have been maintained as part of the memorial. Her book includes 136 pages of photos, descriptions and maps showing the WWI memorials, battlefields, grave markers and other similar items. This reference would likely be of some help in your endeavor.

Also, in my hometown, there is a large park in the center of town with a statue of a WWI doughboy throwing a hand grenade. The names of the WWI soldiers from Gallia county who died in the Great War are engraved on an adjoining granite tableau.

Thought this information might be of interest. I am certainly in support of this effort.

Mike Murphy

Cedar Park, Texas