Sd Card Information

ram1000

Can't slip my XD card into place on the Explorist XL. Is this card slightly larger than an SD card?

If I get a card into the slot and turn the GPS on will it automatically create folders the same as the unit has in its default file system?

XD and SD are typically not interchangable. Does the user guide indicate that the unit accepts either type?

Here's the Magellan www site for the product: http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/pro...asp?PRODID=1113

I could see no reference to the XD card.

Edited by Team Cotati

I guess I can't use the XD. My Fuji camera will use either I think.

I'm 99.9% sure they are not interchangeable, and that (depending on which model Fuji) the camera won't accept SD cards!!

Reason I say this......my sister recently got a Fuji 3500 (something or aother!!)

It came with a 8meg xD card.

I have lots of SD cards!!! None would fit :anicute:

So of course she had to seek out a xD card of reaonable capacity.........

They appear to be 2x the price of SD cards of equal capacity!

I think Fuji deliberately made the xD card incompatible with cheaper SD(etc...) cards to protect it's vested interests!!!

AND Magellans don't accept anything other than SD compatible card.......they should accept transflash carsds in the appropriate adapter????

(I'm about to test that out!! :huh: )

...looking at Overstock for an SD card... Who makes fast ones?

Check prices/vendors of memory here: http://dealram.com/prices/30/2GB.html.

As for "fast ones," I personally think this is a non-issue. All current stock on SD cards is gong to be beyond "fast enough" for any GPS, camera, and computer uses. Someone saying "Wow, this 150x speed card is blazingly fast loading waypoints" is not the same as a numeric benchmark.

Edited by lee_rimar
...looking at Overstock for an SD card... Who makes fast ones?

Check prices/vendors of memory here: http://dealram.com/prices/30/2GB.html.

As for "fast ones," I personally think this is a non-issue. All current stock on SD cards is gong to be beyond "fast enough" for any GPS, camera, and computer uses. Someone saying "Wow, this 150x speed card is blazingly fast loading waypoints" is not the same as a numeric benchmark.

Hi Lee:

WRT cameras, I can tell you from personal experience that there are cameras on the market that can take advantage of high speed SD cards. This results in noticably faster shot to shot transition times due to the quicker write to memory card speeds. The camera does have to be capable of actually writing at this higher speed of course and this is typically reserved for your higher end units. But yes, for a GPSr these type SD cards provide no benefit and since they cost more would be a net loser to the user. :D:smile::)

Edited by Team Cotati