Good Evening Sir, Is This Box Yours?

alistair_uk

I have just seen on the news that Police are combing the countryside for evidence relating to the recent robbery making the headlines.

This got me thinking. What will happen if they come across a Geocache? Has anyone had a cache found by the “Authorities” and what was the reaction? Did tyhay think you were barking mad?

.......Has anyone had a cache found by the “Authorities” and what was the reaction?

The Police wanted our Heathrow Bug Hotel moved when they became aware of it. We archived it.

I remember it well, their reaction was quite amusing in hindsight.

Police man "You have to admit your car does look quite suspicious with all those wires"

Me "All what wires?"

Police man (pointing to gps aerial lead) "Erm, that one"

I have just seen on the news that Police are combing the countryside for evidence relating to the recent robbery making the headlines.

This got me thinking. What will happen if they come across a Geocache? Has anyone had a cache found by the “Authorities” and what was the reaction? Did tyhay think you were barking mad?

What would happen if the opposite occurred and a Geocacher found a box with 50,000,000 in it?

Would he look like this :huh:

That's a lot of Ammo boxes. :anicute:

The possibility that a cache might fall into the hands of benign muggles such as the rozzers is the reason for the rule which requires cache creators to place the name of the cache on or in the cachebox. It helps them to easily find the cachepage on the internet and contact the 'owner'.

All reasonable cachers do this quite normally. I've only known of one unressonable cache creator who reacted most unpleasantly when I discreetly pointed out that no less than three of that person's caches had false, misleading or bogus cache names on the box and/or logbook. Reasonable cache-owners are invariably glad to have such a constructive piece of advice and are grateful for anyone who helps by suggesting that the true name of the cache be included in the cache because it is the responsible thing to do.

The possibility that a cache might fall into the hands of benign muggles such as the rozzers is the reason for the rule which requires cache creators to place the name of the cache on or in the cachebox. It helps them to easily find the cachepage on the internet and contact the 'owner'.

All reasonable cachers do this quite normally. I've only known of one unressonable cache creator who reacted most unpleasantly when I discreetly pointed out that no less than three of that person's caches had false, misleading or bogus cache names on the box and/or logbook. Reasonable cache-owners are invariably glad to have such a constructive piece of advice and are grateful for anyone who helps by suggesting that the true name of the cache be included in the cache because it is the responsible thing to do.

That's the unfortunate thing with some people, they always take a bit of advice as a personal attack and go on the defensive.

Somehow, each time this 'story' gets told (as it has done repeatedly over several years - just check out The Forester's previous posts on this forum), it grows. The Forester likes to have a dig at one particular cacher from time to time. Time to give it a rest.

In fact, I come across very few caches that have the name written on either the box or the logbook. Probably a good idea, but not essential.

Until one of our caches got muggled i never put home contact details in caches. However the people who muggled it had to create an account, find our caching name and then email us. A bit unfair on them really so ever since we always put email contact details in our caches.

I believe a few in the USA have been blown up by the bomb squad though :anicute:

I believe that a cache round here was found wrapped in "Tayside Police" incident tape with a "please remove" message stuck to it. The neighbourhood watch strikes again.

Yes, that was one of mine, a micro hidden about a metre from the roadside. It had been found about four or times in the space of the month or so that it had been active before a cacher discovered it covered in police tape with a note inside from the boys in blue. It said something like "Locals have been complaining about people wandering about in the woods..." and politely asking for the cache to be removed. I did remove it, but it raised some intruiging issues such as: Why were people wandering in the woods when it was a roadside cache? Did the locals watch this area 24/7 because 4/5 visitors in over 4 weeks is not a noticeable amount of human traffic? And how did they manage to observe this in the first place, given that the nearest houses were quite a distance from the cache, and partially hidden from view.

Anyway, well done on the police for finding it - I wonder how long they searched for? The locals must have been using binoculars to pinpoint the exact rock it was hidden in!

I'm sorry I have had a search, but I can't find where the RULES are listed, I found the GUIDELINES which have a different meaning, well it does in my dictionary?

I also can't find where it says that the name of the cache MUST be in the cache box. Perhaps you could enlighten me and the rest of the forum of it's location within GC.com?

I have however found where it says that a distant cache should have the name of the person that is looking after it on the cache page, now I can think of a person that hasn't met that guideline, I wonder who it could be???

I have created a gmail account specifically for putting into cache details. So if the cache gets muggled and they do something nasty with that e-mail address it doesn't affect my real addresses.

It should also provide a very quick alert if someone finds the cache and wants to contact me as I don't expect to receive any other mail into that account and it won't get lost in the hundreds of other mails I get each day.

So far, over a year on and I haven't received a single real e-mail but it gets about 15 spams a month.

I'm sorry I have had a search, but I can't find where the RULES are listed, I found the GUIDELINES which have a different meaning, well it does in my dictionary?

I also can't find where it says that the name of the cache MUST be in the cache box. Perhaps you could enlighten me and the rest of the forum of it's location within GC.com?

I have however found where it says that a distant cache should have the name of the person that is looking after it on the cache page, now I can think of a person that hasn't met that guideline, I wonder who it could be???

In an attempt to shed a little light here, I got an e-mail from geocacheuk through the GC website when I placed a cache a while ago. It contained a link within GAGB.org.uk which itself listed some guidlines. The first guideline was;

"Ensure the cache container is clearly marked, stating that the content is harmless and giving the placers e-mail address or other contact method (eg GAGB contact phone number)"

I am not familiar with scripting so i can't post a proper link, but the location is http://www.gagb.org.uk/guidelines/guidelines.php if you want copy and paste it into your URL bar.

GK

EDIT: the link works automatically. I'm impressed!

Edited by Geo-Kate

In an attempt to shed a little light here, I got an e-mail from geocacheuk through the GC website when I placed a cache a while ago. It contained a link within GAGB.org.uk which itself listed some guidlines. The first guideline was;

"Ensure the cache container is clearly marked, stating that the content is harmless and giving the placers e-mail address or other contact method (eg GAGB contact phone number)"

I am not familiar with scripting so i can't post a proper link, but the location is http://www.gagb.org.uk/guidelines/guidelines.php if you want copy and paste it into your URL bar.

GK

EDIT: the link works automatically. I'm impressed!

Thanks for the link, I am actually aware of the GAGB guidelines, but if I am not mistaken the approvers can only ask you to abide by these, unless it is a request from the landowners for a certain guideline to be upheld.

The Foresters point (which has been made on several occassions about the same person), has always clearly stated GC.coms rules. It is this that I wish to be enlightened on. As I do not believe that in HIS context that it exists, well not at the moment anyway or in the last 2 years for that matter.

I am quite certain that The Forester certainly does not refer to the GAGB guidelines otherwise he would not condone the use of plastic bags for wrapping caches in. As this is against the GAGB guidelines, but not GC.coms. He has in the past gave a very strong argument for there usage for hiding caches in.

Suffice to say, I feel as though this may be starting into a thread drift, and we wouldn't want that. :anicute:

To return to the OP "I have just seen on the news that Police are combing the countryside for evidence". There was a cache that ended up inside the "ring of steel" at last years G8 summit and remained unfound by the CIA, MI5, Police, SAS and whoever else supposedly searched the area before allowing the various leaders to frollick.

recently on a trip to Florida we had a visit from the sheriff and security all i could say was "they carry guns"

We went to do a cache near a mall, parked up jumped out the car gps in hand well after going into some bushes and hearing rustling the wuss in me appeared and i retreat back to the car leaving hubby hunting about. Next thing flashing lights and i have security and the sheriff with me. Turns out 5 days before a woman had gone missing from the mall Link

Anyway i explaine what we were doing and after a radio coversation the guy said ah geocaching we know about this cache. so off we retreat with a DNF and me still saying "they carry guns"

Edited by scaw

To return to the OP "I have just seen on the news that Police are combing the countryside for evidence". There was a cache that ended up inside the "ring of steel" at last years G8 summit and remained unfound by the CIA, MI5, Police, SAS and whoever else supposedly searched the area before allowing the various leaders to frollick.

Wow, how big was that cache, and how close to the summit venue? Could it conceivably have been a threat?

Well done to whoever placed that one.

Please stop hitting me with your truncheon Officer Lactodorum, Sir!

One of my caches is overlooked by CCTV cameras. I made the effort of going into the local police station and telling them all about geocaching and the fact that there was a cache at that location. I also gave them my contact details in case any geocache related incidents should pop up locally. They were more amused than anything else?

Wow, how big was that cache, and how close to the summit venue? Could it conceivably have been a threat?

Well done to whoever placed that one.

Think that would be THIS cache!

Was a regular sized tupperware box, and was close enough to the venue, that it should have been found!

What is it with geocachers? - 14 people have found it since the "professionals" searched the area and found nothing!

There was a rumor going round Perthshire that George Bush was cycling to the cache when he hit the policeman. - Still no DNF log though???

Oh! - and have you heard the music on the page? Did Perth Pathfinders forsee the event or something??

Sorry Ali, it wasn't aimed at you :) It was just bad timing that placed your note directly ahead of mine.

Many apologies if it came across that way.

Please stop hitting me with your truncheon Officer Lactodorum, Sir!

One of my caches is overlooked by CCTV cameras. I made the effort of going into the local police station and telling them all about geocaching and the fact that there was a cache at that location. I also gave them my contact details in case any geocache related incidents should pop up locally. They were more amused than anything else?

Edited by Lactodorum