Why Not Reduce Server Load By Opening Logs In Separate Windows

Steinar, Bergen

Hi!

A very smart move, both for the user, and the server was to improve the decryption of hints to be done/selected on the client. Line breaks doesn't work, but that's no problem at all for me.

Here is another suggestion:

Today's problem:

When I want to go in details on an interesting cache, I show all logs, and start reading them. If I find an image interesting, I do of course click on it. That opens the log for the image and the overview of the other images. That is very nice. The problem comes when I hit the Back button in my browser. For some reason, it isn't using the cached version of the information, but the entire page is downloaded again. This causes annoying waiting time, and it slows down for all other users of geocaching.com, due to the extra load required on the server. This download is in 99% of the cases equal to what I downloaded 30 seconds ago. In other words, it should not be necessary.

A possible solution:

One way to avoid this is to open the separate link in a separate window. In that case, we won't be able to press the back button, but by closing the new window, we'll se the old information. On the other side, we have a link available to the original cache page, and the same amount may be downloaded again. Still, I think this would cause less load, and less waiting time for users.

For my own use, I use right mouse button, and choose "Open in new window" when clicking links like this.

Another solution:

It would of course be a solution to do something to make the browser use the cached version of the page, but I guess there is a reason for this not to happen.

Best regards from Steinar Moen (Happy owner of the first of 2185 caches in Norway) :D

It would of course be a solution to do something to make the browser use the cached version of the page, but I guess there is a reason for this not to happen.

Actually, the website purposely tells the browser NOT to cache the page in the headers it returns:

Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Expires: -1

If the browser was allowed to cache the page, then you'd have situations where someone enters a log for a cache, then goes back to the cached cache page and the log is not there! They think they messed up, so they re-enter the log. Hmm still not there. Try a 3rd time! Finally give up in frustration. The next day they sit down to try again and all 3 logs are there!

No thanks! :D

If the browser was allowed to cache the page, then you'd have situations where someone enters a log for a cache, then goes back to the cached cache page and the log is not there!

That (the log not being there) happens even now for a short period of time after submitting a log and has caught me out on more than one occasion.

One way to avoid this is to open the separate link in a separate window.

Right-Click --> Open in New Window/Tab

I dislike sites that open new windows for me. If I want a new window, I'll do that myself, thank you very much.

I agree that it is annoying some times that new windows are opened. And yes, I often use Right-Click to open in a new window. But this doesn't help very much when only a few other do so. The geocaching.com-server is obviously squeezed a lot now. What other solutions may be there to avoid everyone to download the same information over and over again?

A also agree it would be a disadvantage that the information is cached, and it looks like the log isn't registered, causing the log to be re-entered by frustrated users.

Are there any HTML features enabling the page to be reloaded on demand? For example after a log is entered... :anibad:

What about always caching the page, but changing the url for the user entering the log? Both urls should of course point to the same item in the database.

Perhaps antother solution could be to cache the page if more than 10 logs are shown?

...just brainstorming...

Best regards from Steinar

What other solutions may be there to avoid everyone to download the same information over and over again?

Ajax

I would love to see Geocaching.com to be a quick and smart Ajax site. But that would mean a complete redesign. And just to resolve some minor inconveniences... I don't think it's worth the effort. It doesn't change my geocaching experience - this is: outdoors.