2 Weeks In Mt. Olive NJ. Suggestions?

soup

My employer is sending me to Mt. Olive from 3/5 - 3/17 for some training.

I would like to get some Geocaching in, and was wondering if there were any in that area that were a "must see".

Unique, Beauty, or Weird caches are very acceptable. I will check out the North and South NJ cache websites as well as the WeirdNJ website. If you can suggest something cool, I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.

- soup.

You won't be far from Wildcat Ridge Wildife Management Area. Lots of good caches there including my own Wildcat Ridge Hawk Wwatch, Graffiti Rock Ramble, Blueberry Hill and others.

If you don't mind driving a few miles further, Norvin Green State forest is one of the most beautiful areas in NJ and there are a number of excellent caches there. Probably about a 45-50 minute drive from Mt Olive. Carris Hill, Wanaque Overlook, Assinwikam Mtn, Wyanokie High Point, iOsio Rock Ramble, Stone Living Room, "Y" Rock are some of the many excellent caches there. Terrain is on the rugged side, so bring your hiking boots.

Stephen's State park is right next to Mount Olive - there's several great caches there. For a nice view (and a decent workout) - check out "Alamuchy Climber Cache"....

Brian's suggestions are spot on - but if you want to stay close to Mt Olive - Alamuchy (aka Stephens) is right around the corner. Have fun...

Stephen's State park is right next to Mount Olive - there's several great caches there. For a nice view (and a decent workout) - check out "Alamuchy Climber Cache"....

Brian's suggestions are spot on - but if you want to stay close to Mt Olive - Alamuchy (aka Stephens) is right around the corner. Have fun...

Forgot about Allamuchy Climber. If you only have time to do one cache in the area, do that one. Its not a walkup (you won't find a whole lot of them in the area), but well worth the effort. The terrain rating is on target if you approach it correctly. If not, you're looking at 3.5 star terrain at least. You can have fun either figuring out the easy approach or taking the tough one.

Edited by briansnat

Here are some links to good caches in the general area:

Wildcat Ridge Hawk Watch (should take about an hour RT).

We Cant Stpo Here This is Bat Country. (should take about 20 minutes. The bat cave is very cool - litterally speaking in the summer).

Splitrock Splendor

(one of NJ's earliest caches. Give yourself about 2 hours)

Project X: Little Green Men (Our version of a drive and dump :smile: . Should take no more than 15 minutes, but oh what a cache).

Then and Now: Boonton (I had a lot of fun placing it. Should take less than an hour).

Mt Hope Mines (I've yet to find it, but Tiffany's Slaves tend to come up with some really cool areas)

Edisons Dark Rock (my pick for the best cache in northern NJ. Bring a flashlight and some guts. Should take less than an hour-Do this cache!).

Wyanokie High Point (might be the best view in NJ. If its a clear day, its a don't miss. Should take about 2 hours)

NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache. (one of the finest caches anywhere. Give yourself about 4 hours and you won't be disappointed. Its a great introduction to the region and there are some excellent views along the way).

Covert-002

(if you don't have the 4 hours to devote to the NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache, this is a relative quickie in the same area. Great view and it should take a tad over an hour. Bring your lungs. Diffuculty and terrain are a bit overrated on this one).

Edited by briansnat

You guys have provided me LOTS of options. I thank you for your time and efforts! I will take your suggestions and put it into the ol GPS for my stay. And.. if your ever in Oregon, give me a hollar at pdxgeocaching.com or champoeg.com. We have some serious GPS fun here as well.

Ok, now off to pack my bags. :blink:

Personally, I think you should demand hazardous duty pay for getting sent to Mount Olive for two weeks! :anibad:

Ok. I am a okee-fanokee from quaint lil orygun. I dont know big city life. Are you suggesting I bring heavy weaponry? Nunchucks? maybe a whiteflag? I will have spare wallets that I can give to the nice folks who want em. B):rolleyes::anibad:

/JOKE