You Do Not Need Every Geocoin!

TravelingViking

Finally a Geocoin project arrived where some of you will have to drop out.

Don't fuel your addiction and ask yourself if you really want this... :D

...On the other side, we are trying to make it easy for you. :D

A few weeks back we started the Geocoin Project "Regions of Germany" with

just a few posts in the German forum. We thought that maybe we get some 5 or

so regional German coins together, sponsored by the locals. Well, more and

more regions signed up. You can see the current status at:

http://www.newvikings.com/geocoins/Regions...ny/index_en.htm

In short, each coin will be available in two finishes. The silver antique is

a limited edition (probably 250), reserved for the locals. If you want one

of these, you have to try to get into contact with a local and trade with

her/him. The polished chrome version is available to the general public. The

total number of coins minted is not yet determined.

To save you some shipping costs we decided to offer pre-ordering from two

locations, one in Europe and one in the USA. As some of you have learned,

postage is very expensive from Europe to the USA (can be almost $10 for

sending 2-3 coins). By offering pre-orders from two locations we are saving

on multiple cross-ocean shipments and allow more cachers to order "locally".

TEXT EDITED ON 26-FEB-06, PRE-ORDER WINDOW CHANGED

The pre-order window is primarily for those that would like to receive custom

engraved coins - or - just want to be really, really sure to get some.

Start of pre-orders: 15th of March

End of pre-orders: 26th of March

We estimate that all deliveries can then be made within 30 days.

Olaf

Edited by TravelingViking (1M TBmiles)

Why are you asking for payment now when the coins are 6 weeks away from being delivered? Paypal allows up to 3 weeks for pre-orders only.

Well, we thought of making this a pre-announcement only. However, here in Europe where many payments are done by wire transfer (here that is cheaper than Paypal) we have had cachers asking us to accept orders for this since weeks - so we only broke in to their pressure... :D

I'll see if we can add a note that Paypal shoppers should place their order on March 24th...

Olaf

Why are you asking for payment now when the coins are 6 weeks away from being delivered? Paypal allows up to 3 weeks for pre-orders only.

How is this different from what anybody else is doing?

I can think of MANY coins where money was collected WAY before the coins were actually in hand or set to be delivered.

I'm by no means saying I agree with it - just curious as to why this one is called out?

$5.55 is "saving on shipping" !!??

It does not cost that much to ship 5 coins within the US. They can be sent in the same amount of time with 1st Class Mail and a lot cheaper.

It costs less than $3.25 to ship 5 coin (that weight 0.70lbs = 12 oz.) and that is with delivery confirmation through PayPal, for 1st class.

Is there some way to pick an option other than Priority Mail?

DOH - Due to a mix up with the store configuration, first class mail was not offered as an option for shipment that met the USPS weight restrictions. We have now rectified this and offered first class mail to those that ordered and didn't get the option at the time.

Thanks for pointing this out. :D

Andy

In order to better comply with "rules and regulations", the pre-order phase for the first set was changed to

start: March 15th, 2006

end: March 26th, 2006

This way we have a realistic estimate that the goods can be delivered within 30 days.

Sorry for the confusion, we got weak when more and more Geocoin addicts were throwing money at as. :anicute:

One even asked for an up-front-down-paid subscription to all of the coins - but that's not gonna happen...

Olaf

So we can put the set back into our shopping cart and order them on March 15?

Now that is a technical question that I am not qualified to answer. :huh:

Probably depends on where you leave the cart. If it stands around near the cashier too long, somebody might take it back to the storage and put the coins back onto the shelves... :anicute:

Honestly, I am not sure where the shopping cart info is stored exactly and how long it will be remembered.

Olaf

It does not cost that much to ship 5 coins within the US. They can be sent in the same amount of time with 1st Class Mail and a lot cheaper.

It costs less than $3.25 to ship 5 coin (that weight 0.70lbs = 12 oz.) and that is with delivery confirmation through PayPal, for 1st class.

If what you say is true, how come we always pay $5.00 (at least) for 1 coin to be sent to the UK?

It's always different when it's on the other foot isn't it...

If what you say is true, how come we always pay $5.00 (at least) for 1 coin to be sent to the UK?

It's always different when it's on the other foot isn't it...

No one paid $5 for one of my coins to be shipped. The overseas international shipping for one coin was only $2.00 for air mail shipping.

These coins are not being shipped internationally they are shipping US coins from the US. But yes I do expect to pay more when coins are coming from overseas and have no problem with that. But that is not the case here.

Never the less they now have a 1st class mailing option so all is right with the shipping.

Updates:

Pictures with the samples of the first set are now available at the project page:

http://www.newvikings.com/geocoins/Regions...ny/index_en.htm

The samples for the second set were ordered a while ago, so they should come in soon. We will post them as soon as they become available.

Reminder: if you want the first set engraved with your name, please place your order no later then March 25th 2006. After that you can still order, but not with the option to have them engraved.

Thanks

Olaf

I received an email in early to mid April that said 2 of the counties didn't like their sample coins and had to redo the dies. That email said the coin sets would be delayed from shipping till the end of April.

You were given the option in that email to cancel your order.

Would like a more recent update as well.

I emailed on May 15th asking the status. Here's the reply I received the same day...

The coin manufacturer - coinsandpins.com - are

currently unable to give us a definate delivery date. We should have had them a long time ago, so we are pretty much stuck right now. Needless to say we won't be selling any coins via pre-sales again because we end up with the control out of our hands.

If you would like to cancel your order, please let us know and we will

give you a full refund as soon as we see your email. Otherwise we will let you know the moment we have some news.

I have received no further update.

In case anyone is wondering... I received this email today:

Yesterday out of the blue I received the UPS tracking number. Currently they are in customs in Kentucky with no scheduled delivery date (UPS never knows how long things wait in customs for). I am hopeful that I will get them within the next few days. When I do I will send out the orders immediately.

Thanks for your patience!

This is for orders placed through cachezone.us

Both the US and German Cache Zone stores now received the coins. All open orders will be fullfilled within the next days.

We also still have a few extras, for some coins as little as 50 pieces. Both the US and German Cache Zone stores have those listed - first come, first serve... :unsure:

The second set of Regional coins is already ordered for production. For that set we will not be offering pre-sales anymore to avoid the constant mailing of appologies... :rolleyes:

Olaf

I was stationed in Baden-Wurtemburg for three years (specifically, Mannheim, then Heidelberg). Any chances of a coin coming from that area eventually? Or is FRM (Frankfurt / Rhein-Main) going to be as close as I will get?

It looks like Frankfurt / Rhein Main is the closest you get, we have no coin for Mannheim/Heidelberg in the pipeline.

Olaf