Is Geocaching A Hobby Or A Sport

Foothills Drifter

Obsession also works here. As everybody has already said or at least thought a hobby does not always require a time clock, a score, other players, a referee, uniforms, special equipment, training, etc. Oh wait, what side of the argument was I on? OK, a sport requires some competition, colorful fans, corporate sponsorship, steriods, explotation of child labor to produce high priced shoes.... darn, I can't seem to get it all together.

OK, I can at least say Geocaching is more fun than watching Olympic curling replays on TEVO.

Wikipedia defines it as an outdoor "activity"; Geocaching

Actually, they initially had the whole "sport" vs. "game" vs. "hobby" debate in the entry, but then simply called it an "activity".

Personally I think it is a cross between a game and a hobby. More a hobby, the main reason I barely consider it a game and not really a sport is that there's no good competitive measurement, for most of the measurements, skill is either based on one's time/ability to do more/many or based on a subjective rating.

I think geocaching can be what ever you want it to be
I agree. I kinda dislike labels but understand they serve a purpose for some. If pressed, I'd say a fun outdoor activity with aspects of sport and game depending on how you decide to approach it. In the end, for me, to answer the question. What is geocaching to you? I'd answer, enjoyable!

I called it a sport once and my wife gave me one of those looks and asked if it was in the Olympics.

So now I just call it a pastime. :D

Hmm, if the olympics are the test, I guess the NFL isn't about sports.... :D

I go with hobby myself...to me, sports have rules, scores, and winners.

And I guess that means that baseball and softball will cease to be sports after 2008 :D

Geocaching can't be a sport, there's no ball (or puck, for you northerners) involved. :D

Well, unless you find a ball in one, then there is a ball involved.

I just call it fun, a heckuva way to spend an afternoon (or a whole day for that matter).

Scott

Geocaching can't be a sport, there's no ball (or puck, for you northerners) involved. :D

Well, unless you find a ball in one, then there is a ball involved.

I just call it fun, a heckuva way to spend an afternoon (or a whole day for that matter).

I found a puck in one. So, ball and puck must be sport. Or is that a game played by hobbyists as a sport? :D

JDandDD

I called it a sport once and my wife gave me one of those looks and asked if it was in the Olympics.

So now I just call it a pastime. :D

Hmm, if the olympics are the test, I guess the NFL isn't about sports.... :D

I go with hobby myself...to me, sports have rules, scores, and winners.

And I guess that means that baseball and softball will cease to be sports after 2008 :D

I re-asked the wife with no idea of this thread.

Me: So, honey, Is geocaching a sport?

Her: I don't know, do you think walking is a sport?

Her: I tell you what, if you run to every cache then yes it's a sport.

There you go! :D

Obsession also works here. As everybody has already said or at least thought a hobby does not always require a time clock, a score, other players, a referee, uniforms, special equipment, training, etc. Oh wait, what side of the argument was I on? OK, a sport requires some competition, colorful fans, corporate sponsorship, steriods, explotation of child labor to produce high priced shoes.... darn, I can't seem to get it all together.

OK, I can at least say Geocaching is more fun than watching Olympic curling replays on TEVO.

unless it's womens curling, i could watch that all day long!!!

it is an addiction.

Tim

unless it's womens curling, i could watch that all day long!!!

it is an addiction.

Tim

Howdy......

:D:D:D

Vern... :D

Edited by Foothills Drifter