Hell Is Other People

hannieIII

Hi..as a newbie to this forum, any forum in fact, I am reminded of Jean-Paul Satre's observation, when I read the replies to topics

It appears that so many want to go to war over the most innocent topics, it seems they do not read fully the topics, or choose to pick out parts, out of context, which they feel they can challenge.

Frequently the sense of the original topic is completely lost as the usual suspects respond only to the flaky responses, and so on ad infinitum.

I guess someone also said "Get a Life"..anyone know who ?

Edited by hannieIII

Hi..as a newbie to this forum, any forum in fact, I am reminded of Jean-Paul Satre's observation, when I read the replies to topics

It appears that so many want to go to war over the most innocent topics, it seems they do not read fully the topics, or choose to pick out parts, out of context, which they feel they can challenge.

Frequently the sense of the original topic is completely lost as the usual suspects respond only to the flaky responses, and so on ad infinitum.

they call them trolls. :lol:

Sorry, I was busy with the "All England Summarize Proust Competition".

I didn't get a chance to read your whole post but the quote you mentioned came from Jean-Paul SaRtre - not Satre.

Please please don't be mad :P - this was totally a joke :lol:

I'm sorry that I'm a smart alec... and addicted to irony.. I didn't mean it

:P WELCOME TO THE FORUM :P !!!!!!

- Chad

Edit: I just noticed you are in Thailand. Are you an expat. or were you born there? I lived there for two years and speak Thai fluently (i think so anyways :P ). It is a beautiful country and I love it as much as I love my own!

Edited by F1sh

Howdy......

This happens in a LOT of forums covering 'other' hobbies also......

Vern...

Even though I am new here, I also post on:

www.canreef.com

www.reefcentral.com

www.nano-reef.com

www.grimreefers.com

http://p196.ezboard.com/bhornetsnest56467

And I can easily say that, from what I have seen, the members here have formed the nicest, most respectful internet community I have ever come across.

I agree that people argue over the silliest things, but that is a natural result of any interation between a group as varied and diverse as this one. It is to be expected that people of all different ages, backgrounds, and nationalities wouldn't all agree on "what is the best gpsr ever?" or "what's the best cache?"

You wanna see war? Try following a thread on "which is the best brand of oil", in a motorcycle forum :lol:

I guess it is ok to dissagree... as long as no one's mean about it.

- Chad

In response to the OP:

Sorry we are just humans here and as humans we tend to be... well, messy. We tend to go off on tangents, express half baked opinions and sometimes respond to things that peek our interests even though we aren't experts and don't know it all. Sometimes we provoke, sometimes we have a little fun. Sometimes we should keep our big mouths shut, but that would make things rather uninteresting wouldn't it? I enjoy the colorful characters and at times fiesty banter here. I like humans. I like this game. I like this forum.

And sometimes I wish this forum were a bit more open to less moderated discussion but I suppose there has to be some order.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

Get A Life, Go Geocaching! by Scook (GCJ7PN)

I just read the article about the Detroit TV news piece from that cache. That is very sad. I think it's funny he mentions "medical issues" in retort because when we told our pediatrician about caching and how it gets our kids as an excuse to go outdoors and walk somewhat longish distances for a 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 yo (like a mile), she thought it was so great that she recommends it to others! They each have what I'll call very different "endurance" issues that made them both not first fully walk until they were almost 2; he is unusually skinny for his age and is still on a very mild foot brace that he is strongly encouraged to walk a lot on to build up his legs, she was born extremely big (11 lbs.!) with unusually thick legs that made walking almost impossible for awhile and she still gets physical therapy 1-2x/week! The "treasure hunting" aspect has made them excited about doing big walks and in both cases they have greatly improved (her PT is going to end by late spring)!

So cudos to whoever wrote that reply!

Hi. I just walked in the door and I'm totally new to everyone and everything, but I thought I'd observe that you people are all jerks, gaywads and dipsticks, 'cause I think a savagely rude but confident observation is an excellent way for a neophyte to make an entrance. Toodles! :D

:D:D:D

Oh Auntie you slay me!

as a newbie to this forum, any forum in fact

If you decide to look around at other forums, no matter what subject they are based around, there will be discussions, opinions, arguments, resentment, anger, etc. As said before, we are human afterall and that is what happens when humans get together. It's what seperates us from the animal world. That, and the use of cutlery. I think you will find the people on this forum to be helpful and friendly in general. However, there maybe times when they will disagree with you and each other. That's life. I think that was Frank Sinatra who said that. :D

As the originator of this topic, I am indebted to the writers of the mainly thoughtful comments and more so for the spelling correction.

To the inqiry/enquiry ? from Fish, I have been in Thailand since 1955, when as part of British effort to quell communism in Malaya, we would flit unknowingly across the border.

I've been here since then apart from my Philosophy studies at Cambridge..and I couldn't spell Sartre!!

As the originator of this topic, I am indebted to the writers of the mainly thoughtful comments and more so for the spelling correction.

To the inqiry/enquiry ? from Fish, I have been in Thailand since 1955, when as part of British effort to quell communism in Malaya, we would flit unknowingly across the border.

I've been here since then apart from my Philosophy studies at Cambridge..and I couldn't spell Sartre!!

Hannie,

I should probably confess I am unfamiliar with Sartre's work and only noted the missing 'r' after a google query to learn more about the quote. :D. I would never have noticed otherwise.

It sounds like you have been living in Thailand longer than most people who were born there - I am genuinely envious. The furthest South I ever got was Bangkok (except Koh Samui on my honeymoon). Besides Bangkok, I have also lived in Chiang Rai, Lampang, Sisaket, and Yasoton. Maybe someday I will make it back and do some geocaching!

- Chad

Who are the usual suspects? :anicute:

Yeah, I got about half way through The Plague and never picked it up again. Might be the only book I never finished in my life.

That's Albert Camus...can't stand him, either.

Oops, right. I always get my French Existentialists mixed up.

Ugh. I had to read the Plague in French. Given the choice, I'd opt to come down with a dose of the wretched disease, thanks.

I had to read The Nausea, by Sartre for a philosophy course. I got well into it and just couldn't take any more. I told the professor that I refused to finish it, and would not be turning in the paper. He told me that if, based on what I had already read, I wrote a paper explaining why I found the book so repulsive, he would consider giving me credit for the assignment. I got an A.

I had to read The Nausea, by Sartre for a philosophy course. I got well into it and just couldn't take any more. I told the professor that I refused to finish it, and would not be turning in the paper. He told me that if, based on what I had already read, I wrote a paper explaining why I found the book so repulsive, he would consider giving me credit for the assignment. I got an A.

I read all of this thread. Can I get an A in a course on French Existentialism too?

...I read all of this thread. Can I get an A in a course on French Existentialism too?

I also read all of this thread. Now I don't know if should study French, look up gaywad, talk about my encounter with jailbait who discussed reading Steppenwolf as a party introduction, contrast French Writers with Suicidal Russian Writers, slam some newbies or just spread them on toast, admit to being one of the usual suspects, or suspect that others are the usual.

So I think I'll offer to buy you a beer if we ever meet and call it good.

Ahh, the existential angst of the newbie first feeling the heideggerian thrown-ness, the Da-Sein of the forums. Soon we will be killfiling trolls among the sand dunes. There is, indeed, no exit.

The gps points its compass arrow to the four cardinal directions repeatedly until the batteries die...

Ahh, the existential angst of the newbie first feeling the heideggerian thrown-ness, ...

Now what did you want to bring Heidegger into it? He denied being an existentialist (and who could blame him). Also, he was German, and all German philosophers after Schopenhauer were nuts (as were many before Schopenhauer).

On the other hand, Being-for-itself (l'pour-soi) refers to the transcendent being characterized by consciousness and freedom. It is the being of man, one who defines his own essence and gives meaning to his own existence through the choices he makes. It is the realm of the human being, characterized by consciousness and freedom, which enables man to decide meaning for himself. By nurturing his own meaning, man gives his own existence. Moreover, the for-itself exists in so far as it is a nihilation of the in-itself. Without this relation to the in-itself, there can be no for-itself. Finally, the nothingness of the for-itself necessitates its project, its perpetual struggle towards the in-itself....Sartre

I flunked spelling too.

I think it is a bunch of malarkey myself. :)

Edited by 2B Amazed

There's always something cool about open-mindedness of some college professors. :)

Ahh, the existential angst of the newbie first feeling the heideggerian thrown-ness, ...

Now what did you want to bring Heidegger into it? He denied being an existentialist (and who could blame him). Also, he was German, and all German philosophers after Schopenhauer were nuts (as were many before Schopenhauer).

Am I the only one with the philosophers' drinking song in my head now?

Hi. I just walked in the door and I'm totally new to everyone and everything, but I thought I'd observe that you people are all jerks, gaywads and dipsticks, 'cause I think a savagely rude but confident observation is an excellent way for a neophyte to make an entrance. Toodles! :smile:

Dang, Auntie! This reminds me of folks posting on the vnboards. Except you are waaaaaaaay too polite! :smile:

Who are the usual suspects? :smile:

And who is Keyser Soze?

Wulf

Hi. I just walked in the door and I'm totally new to everyone and everything, but I thought I'd observe that you people are all jerks, gaywads and dipsticks, 'cause I think a savagely rude but confident observation is an excellent way for a neophyte to make an entrance. Toodles! :P

Of course, Auntie, you and I know that the OP was likely not really a newcomer, but a sock puppet account likely owned by a troll.

Who are the usual suspects? :P

And who is Keyser Soze?

Wulf

I cannot believe that you mentioned Kesyser Soze. Here in the wilderness west of Frederick, Maryland, he is a legend!

I am told the following by informants:

. . .He's supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody ever believed he was real. Nobody ever knew him or saw anybody that ever worked directly for him. But to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew; that was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

"One story the guys told me, the story I believe, was from his days in Turkey. There was a gang of Hungarians that wanted their own mob. They realized that to be in power, you didn't need guns or money or even numbers. You just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't. After a while, they come into power and then they come after Soze. He was small-time then, just small crime, they say. They come to his home in the afternoon, looking for his business. They find his wife and kids in the house and decide to wait for Soze. He comes home to find his wife dead and children screaming. The Hungarians knew Soze was tough, not to be trifled with, so they let him know they meant business.

They tell him they want his territory, all his business.

Soze looks over the faces of his family.

Then he showed these men of will what will really was.

. . . And like that, he's gone. Underground. Nobody's ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. "Rat on your pop and Keyser Soze will get you." But no one ever really believes.

You know?

Of course, Auntie, you and I know that the OP was likely not really a newcomer, but a sock puppet account likely owned by a troll.

I dunno. If so, he put some effort into giving himself a caching history. Not a very extensive one, it is true, but more than most trolls would bother to fabricate to support just a simple, drive by, flip 'em the Sartre sort of post. (Speaking in my capacity as recovering troll).

I'm inclined to think he's genuine. A genuine prat, that is.

I dunno. If so, he put some effort into giving himself a caching history. Not a very extensive one, it is true, but more than most trolls would bother to fabricate to support just a simple, drive by, flip 'em the Sartre sort of post. (Speaking in my capacity as recovering troll).

I know... I actually agree with you, but the hypothesis (the troll sock pupppet account hypothesis, that is) was just so fun and so intriguing that I had to share it! And, I must point out that the OP actually made some very pertinent and witty observations. However, her/his comments, coming from someone who claimed to be a total forum newbie, well, the sock puppet hypothesis just jumped out at me...

I guess my enjoyment of the meta-hypothesis may be analagous to something that Dean Radin, PhD once wrote in an article on the interaction of consciousness and technology:

"I never meta-analysis I didn't like"

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I'm often surprised that people aren't even more cynical about online forums, with potential abuses with anonymity. With a lot of self-expression without self-discipline, I often view the Internet as an Information Super Pile Up. (anyone still want to claim to be The Inventor? :smile::) )

Sock puppet or not, the OP has a point, but unfortunately, the scope is much larger than just Geocaching.

I think its time to finish this thread off. There isn't much more to be said and it really isn't a getting started issue anyway. I had hoped it would just roll off the page, but it looks like that may not happen any time soon.

Thanks for everyone's input.