Where To Look?

jserpente

always look in the obivous spots first. Hollow trees etc.

next set down the GPS and let it settle down. Scan the immediate area for other obivious spots nearby and check them out.

Recheck the GPS and see if how far and what direction it says now. Try moving that direction and set down the GPS again.

begin searching again expanding the area to include 50 feet or so radius

One important thing if you have mutliple people is to switch search areas. We have found caches many times in places that someone else has already searched.

Phone a friend - MiGO has a phone a friend list so we can usually call someone for a clue or to verify the cache is MIA

oh yeah and if you set down your GPS go back and pick it up. A good idea is to leave your caching bag with it so once you locate the cache you realize you need your bag and GPS.

:)

Before I start looking at specific locations within the search field I always try to identify the dominant characteristic of the area, like a tree, log or standpipe. Unless that feature falls way outside the search area (including the EPE) that's where I'll start, looking first for geometries or colors that don't belong in the area. Twigs, branches and pine needles that have been arranged to cover a container are a dead giveaway. Last week I did a stage of a multi-cache that was in a pile of locally quarried red stone. Approaching the cache area it looked like this might take a while, but standing back and looking quickly drew your eye to a river rock, smooth and grey, in among all the jagged red cut stone.

Of course, there are a lot of caches out there that were placed by people who are cognizant of this, and intentionally avoid the obvious places.

The strangest hide I have ever found was in a stop sign. This evil hider had added an additonal bolt to hold the micro up in between the metal pole and the sign. I was quite stunned when i found it. I'm not sure if this was truly evil or truly genius. :laughing: I knew when I went after it, it would be an unusual one.