Why Does Garmin Make Their Gpsrs Upside-down?

RabidJack

Do you mean that the keys are above the display? It's the best design you can have.

I wonder why the mobile phone manufacturers do it upside-down...

This may be the same discussion whether you are a big-endian or little-endian, if you put your breakfeast egg with the narrow part top or down in your egg holder. Youst because somebody created the first mobile phone with the keys at the wrong end does not mean it's the right position.

If you think about it, it's more convenient for your thumb to press the keys if they are at the top of the device. Having the buttons at the bottom of the device would mean the angle betweeen index finger and thumb is much greater.

i'd have to say that the benifit is that you can easily use the click stick. They make them this way so all of the controls fall nicely into place where you'd want them to. I've tried turning it upside down,a nd while, obviously, it still feels alright, the click stick isn't nearly as comfortable, and when you want to use it, you have to shift the unit a bit so you can move your thumb from stabalizing the unit in your palm.

For an etrex, the GPS is typically in my hand so my fingers are coming at it from behind. The controls need to be at the top where my finger tips are, My thumb controls the joy stick but never crosses in front of the screen.

The GPS V (depending on the mode) and the 76cs are also pretty much thumb driven so top or bottom doesn't really matter. I do however think I have a better grip on the device when the controls are at the top.

edit then/when

Edited by BlueDeuce

IntheHand-60C76S.jpg

This is the Map76S compared to the Map60C, and I find now that the 60C with wrist strap is easier, but without a wrist strap, I would go with the 76S, being more of the GPS is secure in my hand, so the wrist strap does help things here. I had a Meridian Platinum that never had a wrist strap, and have had that GPS get bumped out of my hands, so I like a design that allows for a secure grip on the expensive toy.

The Map60C's antenna is a bit higher than the Map76S's antenna, and I've always gotten a better lock on the Map60C, than the others, including Vista, Map76S, GPS IIIplus and GPS V I had. With the new 60Cx, this is a non issue now.

I liked the Map60C so much, that I got the Map60Cx.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I just bought a 60CSx, and part of the deciding factor was the fact that with my previous Garmin unit, the buttons were AFU...They were at the top of the unit which was not a big deal until the weather changed and gloves were involved. I had trouble seeing the screen while reaching for a button...I do have W I D E hands though so maybe that's the reason. It all comes down to personal preference. I sinply prefer both the quality of Garmin products and the Garmin interface, so I just looked at all of the pros and cons of the available units and selected the one I thought I'd like the most. Fortunately, I think I made the correct decision.

Just my $.02,

-E

McDegga

Now, if one of those configurations (buttons above or below the screen) is right and one is wrong, where does that leave the Etrex?

I've always felt very comfortable having it nestled firmly in my palm, screen very visible, while pressing whatever button I need.

It's big end vs. small end vs. sides vs. whatever else there is. Totally a matter of personal preference.

I'm still confused which Garmin model he is compaining about?????? There are quite a few different arrangements for the handhelds. Which one don't you like????

The Map76s was ackward at first with gloves, because I would get dirt on the display, but I don't have that problem with the 60Cx now.

Most of my Garmins had the buttons above the display, until I got the 60C and 60Cx.

At least with the GPS IIIplus and the GPS V I had, it is a natural to have the keys above, or to the right, depending on whether I'm in Lanscape or Portait mode on those GPS units.

Do you mean that the keys are above the display? It's the best design you can have.

I wonder why the mobile phone manufacturers do it upside-down...

This may be the same discussion whether you are a big-endian or little-endian, if you put your breakfeast egg with the narrow part top or down in your egg holder. Youst because somebody created the first mobile phone with the keys at the wrong end does not mean it's the right position.

If you think about it, it's more convenient for your thumb to press the keys if they are at the top of the device. Having the buttons at the bottom of the device would mean the angle betweeen index finger and thumb is much greater.

Your wrong, there is a right and wrong way.

....At least with the GPS IIIplus and the GPS V I had, it is a natural to have the keys above, or to the right, depending on whether I'm in Lanscape or Portait mode on those GPS units.

I have found the GPS V form factor to be much nicer than it may first appear. the buttons above allow easy one handed operation. The buttons to the right work better while driving. The buttons below on the 60 series result in a sighty goofier hold for the GPS while using the buttons but it is possible.

In general I like the buttons above better than below and thought was a design flaw in the 60 series. I keep waiting for the GPS VI but...it's a good thing I'm not holding my breath.

GarminGPSVIColorwithpreloadedmemory.jpg

The GPS IV would be nice.

The only thing, is that with all the GPS units Ive had, including Map76S, III,IIIplus,V,V, 60C, and 60Cx, is that while holding a 60C up high with the wrist strap on, I got far better tracklogs, than with the preceding GPS units listed here. The picture shows how I tend to hold the 60C, and it has become natural, and never remember dropping it, even with the strap on. With the others in this Post, I would lose the signal alot, but I could easily get it back by raising the 60C above my head. Looks funny to try the statue of liberty pose with the IIIplus, or the Map76S, but causes the EPE to fall down quickly on the 60C, and 60Cx. (The IIIplus had been returned by a friend, back to me.)

I did like the GPS V much better on the dashboard, than the 60C, and that thing is so clumsy, and being so top heavy, the bean bag base keeps falling off the dash.

Edited by GOT GPS?