Where Are The 28 Mystery Countries?

sept1c_tank

The United States' State Department recognizes 192 independent countries around the world. Geocaching.com recognizes a few more than that (there are 238928 active caches in 220 countries).

I know this website lists Antarctica (not a country) in their search for cache by country feature on their main page; what other countries listed there are not countries?

I have been fortunate to find caches in two countries. How many countries are on your list? :P:)

Way back when I was a kid I was into collecting postage stamps. At that time I read somewhere how many countries were in the world. I do not remember the number, but was quite certain it was *way* over 200.

Europe has a few tiny countries a lot of people forget about, like Andorra, Monaco and San Marino.

Also, oversees territories of some countries might be counted seperate by the system. Technically, Aruba, the Netherlands Antilles and the Netherlands together are all one country. Gc.com counts them as three seperate ones.

We've geocached in the US of course, Canada and UK. This summer we'll find them in Ireland and next year in Australia.

Awhile back I was browsing through various caches throughout the world and found some in southern Africa that were reasonably old and never been found. Well, never had a posting online. I found that interesting....

The United States' State Department recognizes 192 independent countries around the world. Geocaching.com recognizes a few more than that (there are 238928 active caches in 220 countries).

I know this website lists Antarctica (not a country) in their search for cache by country feature on their main page; what other countries listed there are not countries?

I have been fortunate to find caches in two countries. How many countries are on your list? :P:lol:

Well here's some.

St. Pierre Miquelon - French territory in the Gulf of St. Lawrence

US Minor Outlying Islands - includes Midway

British Indian Ocean Territories

Unknown - yep there is a listing there

French Southern Territories - some islands near Antarctica

Heard Island and McDonald Islands - Australian territories near Antarctica

Some others that are a bit more cloudy as to status are:

Jersey - British dependency

Isle of Man - British Dependency

Pitcairn Islands - British Colony

Bermuda - British Territory

JDandDD

I have been fortunate to find caches in two countries. How many countries are on your list?

I've found caches in 15 actual countries; the site shows 16, because it counts St. Maarten as a separate country instead of part of the Netherland Antilles.

In fact, today I finally passed the 250,000 mile mark for my cache finds. :lol:

French Polynesia (i.e. "Tahiti") is counted as a country in the search, even though it is a French territory.

I also see Guernsey (British dependency), Antartica (mentioned before), Bermuda and Isle of Man (mentioned above), British and US Virgin Islands, Greenland (Danish dependency), Guam (US territory), Hong Kong (former British territory now special admin region of China), and Netherlands Antilles.

Interestingly, search doesn't show the West Bank or Gaza, although search does show places like Syria, Iran, Iraq, etc. so I don't think it's because of the turmoil in that part of the world. I wonder if they are simply counted as part of Israel's search; the Degree Confluence Project (www.confluence.org) had a lat-long degree confluence that was technically about 1/10 mile past the "Green Line" that they initially counted as "Israel" but then created a "West Bank" category for not because of any political stand by the organization but ironically because the IDF asked them to do that so that anyone strolling there to log a confluence visit are aware that they are in the disputed area and can exercise extra caution (particularly Western visitors).

Edited by hairymon

I have been fortunate to find caches in two countries. How many countries are on your list? :D:D

Well here's some.

JDandDD

Puerto Rico and Aruba are on the list and I don't think they are considered independent conutries. PR is a US territory and Aruba is a protectorate of the Netherlands

I have been fortunate to find caches in two countries. How many countries are on your list? :D:D

Well here's some.

JDandDD

Puerto Rico and Aruba are on the list and I don't think they are considered independent conutries. PR is a US territory and Aruba is a protectorate of the Netherlands

Correct on both, briansnat. I didn't catch either on the list, but I see them there.

I have been fortunate to find caches in two countries. How many countries are on your list? :smile::)

I have always wondered why it was so low, in Amateur Radio we recognize over 300. I know some of those are simply smalll isles, btu still?

Well here's some.

Isle of Man - British Dependency (no its not)

JDandDD

Guernsey - British Dependency is also missing from the list

of course both Jersey and Guernsey are known in the UK as part of the channel islands if a cache gets placed on Sark will we have three countries for the same group of UK islands ????

Well, I've only been caching in three countries, but I'm sure that all three are 'official' countries ;)

Oh, the three countries ar the US, England and Mexico.

England is part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or UK for short. If England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are listed as separate countries, the count is not exact.

There are many territories who are recognized by only some countries, Palestine (and even Israel) are good examples. Of course here in Finland we have oour own oddity in gc.com lists: Åland Isles are listed as a separate country.

I'm surprised that the Falkland Islands and South Georgia are not listed as countries - even if both are dependent territories of the United Kingdom. In fact, very surprised that no-one has hidden a geocache in the Falklands - somewhere near Stanley, but away from minefields and away from Mount Pleasant military base / airfield. Perhaps AntarcticMan didn't go South this season?!? Running Penguin was thinking about it but didn't have time (nor his GPSr with him). In South Georgia, somewhere near the museum in Grytviken or Shackleton's Cross at King Edward Point would be the obvious places, as Grytviken is the port most visited by cruise ships.