Releasing Geocoins In Caches

Lazer

I went out caching for the first time in a while yesterday and I seriously considered activating one of my extra Iowa coins and dropping it off in a cache. I thought it may be fun to see how fast someone runs out to grab it and then see if it actually moves to different caches like it is meant to do. Has anyone ever released one of their own trackable, custom icon coins and had it actually move and not get taken or put on that selling website we all know about?

I went out caching for the first time in a while yesterday and I seriously considered activating one of my extra Iowa coins and dropping it off in a cache. I thought it may be fun to see how fast someone runs out to grab it and then see if it actually moves to different caches like it is meant to do. Has anyone ever released one of their own trackable, custom icon coins and had it actually move and not get taken or put on that selling website we all know about?

:P My coins are still being made but I am planning on putting out as many as I can. If more people would put them in caches I think we would see them move around. I am planning on releasing at least one Generic geocoin this weekend and I have another camo micro that someone has given me to move for them and as soon as I find a good cache home for it I will move it on. Go for it!!! :)

Edited by big rick

Yes!

In the northeast BrianB is releasing his entire collection in local caches, quite a gesture.

I have ordered several extras and plan to use them in caches myself. Not the $20.00 ones from eBay but the normal $8.00 ones from the first release of new coins.

Actually I think it was the whole point in the first place.

I've released afew coins, including some through the experiment listed above. I was also the designer of one of the coins that is fully meant to be a traveller instead of a collector, it will continue to be made as long as people continue to buy them. No year stamp, so it will continue to be the same.

World Travel coin thread

There is also the 'generic' geocoin that is also made the same way, and includes a micro option.

Generic geocoin thread postings

Both are very reasonably priced.

(I will be working on some other coins that are meant to be unlimited, watch for them over the next few months)

Thanks for all of the replies, I feel better knowing that these coins do actually move it seems like. I'm about to place a couple of new caches, so a coin would make a nice FTF for sure. I may just activate a couple now and drop them out on my next caching trip since I have extras, and see what happens :P

I've released afew coins, including some through the experiment listed above. I was also the designer of one of the coins that is fully meant to be a traveller instead of a collector, it will continue to be made as long as people continue to buy them. No year stamp, so it will continue to be the same.

World Travel coin thread

There is also the 'generic' geocoin that is also made the same way, and includes a micro option.

Generic geocoin thread postings

Both are very reasonably priced.

(I will be working on some other coins that are meant to be unlimited, watch for them over the next few months)

That experiment is pretty cool. I've sent three overseas. Now I'm waiting for some warmer weather to release the three I have sitting here ready to travel. One of them is actually a Screw Geocoin coin.

I recently released two in the UK for a US cacher who was concerned that they might go missing if released at home. I am happy to do this again for anyone who wants, just email me for my address and post your coins to me for release here.

These are the ones I did and they are moving well.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=283650

and

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=290545

:huh: Set me Free. I set 4 coins free this weekend.

1) Mini Generic

2) Generic with hole

3) Camo Micro

4) Personal Coin given to me at coin swap (PDX?)

Go coins go!! Set free to roam the globe.

To date 17 coins released 17955 miles traveled

8 ready to release...

:anicute:

Edited by big rick

If it's trackable I'll probably activate it and release it as a TB. Of course that isn't always the case. I've released trackable coins as swag thinking the FTF would activate it and release it as a bug. It's up to them to decide but, since it WAS a trackable coin, I really intended for that person to make it a TB of their own. Then again I put a Kilted Cacher Christmas Geocoin/Ornament in a cache as a FTF and, even though it IS trackable, I fully expected (and wanted) the finder to keep it for themselves and put it on their Christmas tree. I even said so in the cache listing.

As they say in online gaming, /shrug. It's up to the person who retrieves the item. I put it out unactivated. It's the FINDER'S decision whether to activate it and release it or not. If I really want it activated and released as a TB I do it myself - which I have done on occasion and will do again in the future. Currently I have 3 trackable coins I plan to release. At least 2 will be activated first. The other one is "undecided".

Of course this doesn't even address the non-trackable coins I have that I'm releasing. Yes, I did pay the $$$ to purchase the coins. So what? I'm going to release them as swag for others to collect. That's why I bought the things!