It's Time To Go Paperless! Which Pda?

Got GPS

We're FINALLY going to go paperless. I spent last weekend with a few cachers that use PDA's instead of our old tree killing method. It seemed so much easier than what we've done over the past four years. Any input would help on what to look for in a cacher friendly PDA. Thanks in advance, Kevin of TEAM WBFD

Pocket PC and Palm are both make good PDAs.

The decision should probably be made based on what else you will do with the PDA. When I had to choose better topo mapping was available for the Pocket PC than the Palm and that's why I went the direction I did. However that was several years ago and things could have changed.

Both PDA's have good caching software available in the form of Cachemate for the Palm and GPXSonar for the Pocket PC.

Cachemate also has Pocket PC version now.

Cachemate also has Pocket PC version now.

Wow, that's nice to know. Even using GPX-Sonar for a while, I kind of liked cachemate's interface better.

FWIW, I have a Dell Axim X30 PocketPC PDA and like it a lot, although it's a bit hard to read in bright sunlight. Purchased it about 18 months ago for the integral 802.11b functionality so I could log in the local libraries etc.

The old Palm worked just as well for paperless caching, and was a bit more rugged probably, but both options are fine choices. Once you go paperless, you likely won't go back (other than printing big maps for cache marathons).

Either way, grab a copy of GSAK. Excellent program for the PC.

I use GSAK to manage my waypoints. For the GPS and my PDA

I have an IPAQ 3600 series (60 or so on ebay. buyer beware (3633 or something like that)) and GPX-VIEW. Gives the cache page, first five logs, and the hint if needed. INVALUABLE...... You have to run POCKET PC 2002 or later though. Not the most usefull PDA (aquiring accessories) but it gets the job done...

Like what Renegade Knight said, I think the decision depends on what you want to use the PDA for. I have had both Pocket PCs and Palms and keep going back to the Palm which I find easier to use overall. The Pocket PC has slightly better word processing programs but I don't like its web browser as well. I also found the Pocket PC to be a bit more unstable in operation than the Palm. That may be a function of what its used for.

In terms of topo, I have Fugawi software on my Palm and it allows topo and orthographic (basically satellite photo maps) for topo.

Also, ask yourself how important colour is. I didn't think it was until I got my T|X and I can say I wouldn't live without colour.

JDandDD