What Do You Take...

dingo0088

Water is always good. I carry a knife and lighter regardless so those don't need to go in my pack. I flashlight is a good thing as well. You never know when you will be night caching and you didn't plan on it. the Glow of the GPS doesn't throw all that well, but it's ok in a pinch.

Recently I stuck this thing in my pack. I need to get it out and play with it just to see how certain things work.

http://www.dougritter.com/amk_psp_faq.htm

Edited by Renegade Knight

First aid kit, aspirin, medications, water, five days worth of food, water purification kit, trash bags, flashlights, a four man tent, climbing equipment, ropes, pitons, snowshoes, satellite phone, sunscreen, skis and ski poles, inflatable raft (with oars), hammer, screwdriver, laptop computer, inflatable sheep, collapsable ladder, waterproof matches, batteries, sherpa (with yak), $5,000 emergency cash, oxygen, fishing kit, solar powered short wave radio, guns (handgun, shotgun and rifle), shovel, sled (with dogs), torch, compass, GPSr, watch, knife, goggles, crampons, ice axe, binoculars, camera, maps and charts, altimeter, slings, harnesses, carabiners, helmet, thermal blanket, gloves, a knit toque, whistle, grappling hook, hand chainsaw, signal mirror, tinder, gerber tool or leatherman and some stuff for swag.

Add an extra gun if it's an urban micro.

First aid kit, aspirin, medications, water, five days worth of food, water purification kit, trash bags, flashlights, a four man tent, climbing equipment, ropes, pitons, snowshoes, satellite phone, sunscreen, skis and ski poles, inflatable raft (with oars), hammer, screwdriver, laptop computer, inflatable sheep, collapsable ladder, waterproof matches, batteries, sherpa (with yak), $5,000 emergency cash, oxygen, fishing kit, solar powered short wave radio, guns (handgun, shotgun and rifle), shovel, sled (with dogs), torch, compass, GPSr, watch, knife, goggles, crampons, ice axe, binoculars, camera, maps and charts, altimeter, slings, harnesses, carabiners, helmet, thermal blanket, gloves, a knit toque, whistle, grappling hook, hand chainsaw, signal mirror, tinder, gerber tool or leatherman and some stuff for swag.

You forgot the brandy. :huh:

keg.jpg:huh::D

You forgot the brandy. :huh:

keg.jpg:P:D

No I didn't, it's just that I drink that all up before I set out, so there's none left to take :huh:

A team-mate to carry you out while you're doped up, on fire, and fallen down broken! Seriously, if you're going to a cache where those items are a good idea, a cell phone and a partner are a better idea. It doesn't do much good to have the greatest tracking system in the world if you can't tell anybody else where you are in an emergency! :lol:

In the case where you can't get anyone to go... tell someone where you're going and call them again if your plans change. You only have to fall down a well once :P

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Skip the matches. Lighters create a lot more fire for their size and they work in the wind and the rain. Mirrors are good for getting attention in the day time and cheap Laser pointers are great for signaling at night. Add a whistle to that. I also like those small light weight cheap ponchos. Having one of those in your fanny pack will keep you dry when an unexpected shower pops up.

Water purification tablets or a filter.

Just good common sense here - but also bring MORE water with you than you think you need.

Skip the matches. Lighters create a lot more fire for their size and they work in the wind and the rain. Mirrors are good for getting attention in the day time and cheap Laser pointers are great for signaling at night. Add a whistle to that. I also like those small light weight cheap ponchos. Having one of those in your fanny pack will keep you dry when an unexpected shower pops up.

Best to take 3 or more different sources for starting a fire.

Add an emergency blanket. Good for warmth and emergency shelter.

Don't forget - tell someone where you are going!!

Duct tape. I bring it every where with me. I don't bring the whole roll but wrap several layers around the outside of my water bottles. You can use it instead of ace bandage for sprains, use it for splints for broken bones, use it for moleskin if you get blisters, you can even use it turned around backwards and kind of wrapped up on itself to make a pony tail catcher!

I also always bring a lighter AND waterproof matches. A lighter will not work if it, the lighter, has gotten wet. Also they don't work if it is too cold out as the butane freezes up. Most of you probably wont be out in temps that cold but just so you know, keep your bic in your inside pocket lol.

Best to take 3 or more different sources for starting a fire.

My fire starter kit has a few of the parrafin/wood fire starters found in nearly every outdoors store. It also has a film cainster filled with cotton balls loaded with petroleum jelly.

It also has water/windproof matches in a waterproof canister, a Bic lighter and a flint/steel fire starting tool.

Everything fits in a small zipper bag.

I ususally bring the full pack (Camelback Rim Runner) loaded with most things I don't think I will need. In addition to the above listed stuff...A new fangled solar blanket (Actually two of 'em) A fairly full first aid kit. Instant heat for hands/feet. 2nd pair of socks and extra batteries for the GPSr and backup magnetic compass (Three of 'em) just in case.

I actually have a ton of stuff in may pack that I will more than likely never need, but if I do, I won't be in a position to run to the store, so better safe than sorry. Besides, the extra weight I carry only helps to build up strength in my lower back and abdomen... Not a bad side effect from being prepared huh?

-E

McDegga

My fire starter kit has a few of the parrafin/wood fire starters found in nearly every outdoors store. It also has a film cainster filled with cotton balls loaded with petroleum jelly.

It also has water/windproof matches in a waterproof canister, a Bic lighter and a flint/steel fire starting tool.

Agree. I actually do carry more than one source of fire. I don't care for the flint/steel personally. I also have carried 000 steelwool and a 9v battery. Anyone else start a fire with that??

Also; I like cheap Bic lighters, but anything under pressure concerns me at high altitude, so I also have a Zippo that uses regular lighter fluid.

Water is always good. I carry a knife and lighter regardless so those don't need to go in my pack. I flashlight is a good thing as well. You never know when you will be night caching and you didn't plan on it. the Glow of the GPS doesn't throw all that well, but it's ok in a pinch.

Recently I stuck this thing in my pack. I need to get it out and play with it just to see how certain things work.

http://www.dougritter.com/amk_psp_faq.htm

I forgot to mention that this kit also mentions the other things that would be good to have. The website does as well. It doesn't take that much to be ready for an emergency.