Inventory Time> What GPS Units Do You Own ?

GOT GPS?

I bought a Garmin E-Trex Camo for hunting 4-5 years ago and took up a little "light" caching.

This past fall while hunting, my hubby ( not a GPS fan! ), thought he got us lost and I was laughing at him as I tracked us back to familiar ground with my E-trex. I kept telling hm it was an "old / cheap " model so it might not be very accurate....maybe I need a new one for Christmas....

Last week Cabelas called our house to say that the Gpsmap 76csx he wanted was in and he could come pick it up......and sure enough, a mysterious charge came across for Cableas for about the right amount and the right size box appeared under the Christmas tree......

I bet that after Christmas Day I'll have a Gpsmap 76csx !

Magellan Pioneer, RS Digitraveler, Garmin Legend. The Pioneer I bought when GPS first became viable. It mostly sits on a shelf now, but it was nice once, and saved my butt a couple of times. I still use the Digitraveler for driving. It lives in a storage compartment of my truck, connected to an active external antenna, a bluetooth adapter, and vehicle power, and it's plenty good enough for driving directions with Mapopolis. I use the Legend for caching and walking around.

Edited by NightPilot

I own a Magellan gps 315 actually I lost my original one or it was stolen so I bought another one since I already knew how it worked. Would that count as two?

I'm getting a Garmin eTrex Legend for Xmas. Not allowed to open it until Xmas so I'm not sure which I'll like

better? Probably the NEW one as usual. The Magellan doesn't seem to lock on to the sat's like it used to

it seems to take a long time to lock on to them.

Edited by compass killer

I have a GPS 48.

It is rather old, but seems to work ok.

I'm want to buy a new unit, but the market out there is very confusing.

I noticed there are lots of Garmin units, but very few Lowrance. Why is that?

The Lowrance iFinder H2O or Explorer seems to have some really nice features and a nice big screen. It also takes a standard size SD card, which is much cheaper than the mini SD. What are some of the problems with the Lowrance?

Does anyone know of a site or two where I can read up on the pros and cons of each of the more popular units? Surely even the 60CSx has some problems with it.. they all have some shortcomings. I just wish I could find out what they were so I can make an informed decision.

Sidney

Currently-Owned:

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx (soon to be sold)

Previously-Owned:

Garmin eTrex

Garmin eTrex Legend

Garmin eTrex Legend C

Garmin eTrex Legend Cx

DeLorme Eartmate LT-20

Pharos GPS-360 (packaged with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005)

Borrowed, Evaluated, and/or Fooled Around With:

Garmin GPSMAP 76

Magellan eXplorist 100

Magellan eXplorist 200

Magellan Meridian Gold

Edited by Chance Encounter

Woo Hoo!

Just got a Garmin 76csx yesterday! Loving it.

I have (er, well, the wife has now) my Garmin III+

Also have a Garmin GPS135 Sounder

I had a GPS II that got ripped off out of a locked car.

So, I guess I'm a one brand GPS kind of guy.

the thing I like about the Garmins, is every single one of the one's I've owned has a familiar look and feel to the operating system. Just got the 76CSX yesterday, and I immediately knew how to use it. Sure, there are some new bells and whistles to check out, but basically it was grab and go....

Edited by KingBubbaTruck

Currently Own

Garmin GPS V

Magellan Explorist 600

Have owned in the past

Garmin II+

Magellan Meridian (Green)

Have used

Garmin 60cs

Garmin Etrex yellow

Garmin Venture

Garmin Legend

Garmin III+

Garmin Street Pilot 320 (Or something like that...I don't remember the exact model designation)

Magellan 315

What GPS units do you have now, and what ones did you used to OWN ?

GPS units I have:

SporTrak Color

Map60C

Map60Cx

Map76S

GPS units I previously OWNED:

Magellan 4000XL 12channel

Magellan Color Trak

Magellan GPS315

Magellan Meridian Platinum

Garmin GPS III

Garmin GPS IIIplus

Garmin Etrex Vista

Garmin GPS V

Garmin GPS V

My Best cache seeking device was the Meridian Platinum, now is the Map60Cx

I currently own a Garmin Streetpilot i3 for automotive navigating and a Magellan eXplorist 200 for geocaching.

Ray