How Accurate Do You Want Your Gps To Be?

HummerH1

With all the excitement about the newest GPS getting down to a accuracy of less than 10ft it makes me wonder if this is not taking all the fun out of it. Why not just give the excate location in the description. I suppose if your goal is to log as many finds as possible this is a good thing, but boy do the kids like the final search, I do as well for that matter.

I suggest that maybe the last decimal point is left off the waypoint to make it more of a challange, it might also stop everyone buying the latest, more accurate GPS as soon as it's announced.

Just my 2cent's worth.

Bazzer

There are cachers in my area who hunt caches with coordinates only, or try to find caches by "brute-force" which means figuring out where they are without GPSr (mainly for difficult puzzle caches).

Why blame technology if people don't want to exercise self-discipline to create their own challenges?

The sub-centimeter accuracy of the Trimble Land Surveying GPS system I used on my previous job was great, and someday I believe handhelds will be there. I don't think it will take any fun away from our (will somebody please decide if this is a sport/hobby/activity!?) obsession, because there will always be a number of cache hiders who can't or don't do what it takes to place accurate waypoints.

I had an old megellan that only had two decimal accuracy. I almost gave up geocaching after only finding 5 or 6 caches. With my new megellan (explorist 100) i have found that i am any where from 3 to 10 Metres (yards) from any cache i find. Most days up in my area if i get an accuracy of under 10 metres i am pleased. That being said my megellan will not give the exact same coodinates as my friends garmin even when coodinates are taken at the same place at the same time.

Since getting the explorist i have become a little bit of an addict. Its taken some of the frustration out of the hunt for me. Now most times i only have to search 40 or 50 possible hiding spots instead of potentially 100s.

My last 20 caches have been found in the snow so if i could have a true 3 metre accuracy i would settle for that. Snow adds at least a one or two to the difficulty rating of any cache.

Edited by stormcloud

I want my GPS to be Gnatts a** accurate. I can always step back 10' when taking a coordinate.

Agreed, but you can't always get what you want. And we have to remember that no matter how accurate the technology becomes, the user's expertise must be factored in (on two levels; the hider and the seeker). In RK's case, the user's deviant attitude must also be considered. :huh::D